***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New Member - Craig from Caloundra

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 am

Okay some good new FINALLY, they will be replacing the tires as a 'good will gesture' their words but I'm not 100% convinced it will fix the problem and they didn't say what new tires they will be putting on the car. Since I went to Bob Jane they will likely go else where, I'm hoping they got to Bridgestone (just done the road) for some Potenza S001s!

Was hoping to use the car after lunch but will have to wait until they call sometime this afternoon... when I'll be going strait out on the the HWY for a 110km/h test! I do wonder if they will test the car when they get it back or will the tire fitter find a balancing issue when he puts on the new rubber?

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Don't hold your breath for tyres of a known brand.... you will get the nastiest and cheapest tyres available to them at short notice. It is a dealer after all, and the dealer is cricks just to top it off

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Well if they last a year I'll just sell off the old wheels next Christmas and get something I like.

My only concerns are a) if they are crap it will affect the handling and braking, and b) they call me up and tell me they are having trouble balancing them... it was the wheels after all LOL

I do hope if it is the weeks I at least get some input into replacements, even if they only offer to cover the cheapest replacement wheels I'd rather pay a few dollars for something I like. To tell the truth I wish they had just offered to cover the cost of basic tires and asked if I wanted better ones and put something into cover the difference.

As we all know cheap is not the best, $120 tires will likely last 10-15k where better ones at say $250 will last 30-40 depending on how you drive.

3:49pm and no call to pick it up yet...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:27 pm

The vibration saga continues...

They spent a whole $400 on new Kumho tires, yes a set of 4 18" 225/40 tires for $400! (cheap bastards) the sales guy trying to make it sound like a good deal.

But after spending all that money bad news (surprise surprise) it didn't fix the vibration at highway speeds, so the dealer needs the car a little longer to run some more tests...

And to top it off they took the car to the same Bob Jane as I did last week, they must be getting sick of the car by now :lol: They knew the issue from the balancing last week but try telling the dealer that.

Meanwhile my new dash mat is still mocking me, hanging on my wardrobe door.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:46 pm

One word that's the cause of all this: CRICKS...

Just take the car to a competent mechanic, they'll find the issue in no time, my money is still on being mechanical rather the wheels\tyres 1st would be discs, 2nd bushes etc. Sounds like they're clutching at straws and have no idea. And the fact that they're going to "service" it for the next 6 years would fill me with dread. They're not mechanics, they're "technicians" that know how to follow instructions in a book

Cut your losses, cricks have a return policy if you're not happy with the car, I'd suggest you use that and return the car and buy from somewhere else, this car and the dealer is only going to cause more issues in the future.

But you seem insistent on this path even after advice from other members as to what the cause may be... just saying I'd be VERY surprised if it was the wheels\tyres causing vibration under BRAKING and so on, but good luck with it.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Cricks bought this on themselves, they didn't do the proper pre-delivery checks, they didn't check the vibrations I felt on the test drive at 100km/h and I'm having doubts they did the 90k service, despite the service book being stamped and signed.

Of course I haven't driven the car with the new tires so not sure what it's like now, better or worse.

Yes I agree the brake thing is a worry and it might indeed be the discs that are the cause of the extra vibrations under braking at 100. That said BJ reported all along it's the wheels, they are heavier that the standard VRX wheels prone to being bent if you have been bashing speed bumps and rough roads. Right now I have to agree that is the main cause of the constant vibration at 100 plus.

Cricks has a 3 day return policy so I think I'm stuck with the car, I do think it's something that can be fixed. It just depends how much other crap they are going to try before at least chuck on some other wheels just to see if it's better. Like any fault finding it's a process of elimination and the easiest thing to do is the wheels.

Really would love to speak to those working on the car at Cricks but doubt that will happen. I was able to speak to the mechanic at BJ last week. I really want to know if they touched the brakes at 100 and got more vibrations through the steering?

Last thing I want is to get the car back with new wheels and go and tough the brakes only to get the vibration again!

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Should've been a case of buyer beware, cricks have a part in the blame, but at the end of the day so do you, and the biggest part at that for trusting them. You noticed the vibration on the test drive, you told them and trusted them that they would sort it all out. First mistake. Should've told them the problem, put a deposit down, refundable dependant on a 2nd test drive etc. Problems currently being had averted.

Last car my girlfriend bought was from a dealer, with a workshop attached for their own work etc, she took car for drive, I drove, she made deposit, refundable on proviso I have my mechanic check the car. Dealer was fine with that and we bought the car after it was checked by my mechanic. If they have nothing to hide, they should be fine with the car being checked out by someone else, or even RACQ or the like.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Maybe I should have read up on what my rights were, its been a long time since I bought my last car. Plus I know finding a good VRX on the Sunshine coast can be hard, I know there are a few listed on Car Sales dot com au but most are private. And I lost the one I was looking at before this one came up.

Still it does look like Cricks is trying to fix things, they just don't want to admit that Bob Jane was right last week but I'm hoping at the least they find some strait and original 18" VRX wheels with no gutter rash. Or give me a choice in some nice looking after market ones, even if I have to kick in a few dollars to get the ones I want.

BTW with all the paperwork to sign I do remember one lot relating to the per-delivery of the car.

Right now I just hope I get it back before the weekend, it's been with them since Monday lunch.

FYI I have their 07' Holden Craptiva 'hostage' in the garage, not driven it since I got back from work Monday, a) because its a heap of crap and I don't want to be seen in it LOL and b) I don't want to damage it or more importantly have someone crash into me and be up for repair costs after all I've been through this week.

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:51 am

true it was the same when i took my car in to get looked at because the boot was popping by its self and was saying all the doors were open and hazards kept coming on they kept saying it was the boot and then they traced it to the ETACS and i thought it would be covered under warranty as my car came with 3 year used car warranty but it wasnt even tho it was eletrical cost me 675 to fix it so thts were all my christmas money went
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Okay just got a call, they have fixed the vibration by rotating the wheels on the hubs, I'll be picking up the car tomorrow after they get the marks of the hood lining which they also said would be done in the detailing process. They will also be topping up the tank, which is nice but it's gonna screw up my fuel records I was trying to keep to see how the fuel economy goes in the short term. Guess it's a small price to pay if I get my car back and working 100%.

I'll be taking the car out on the HWY for a quick blast once I get it back.

Still I'll be saving up and the first big 'mod' will be new wheels once I have the cash. These would be ideal but out of my price.

These are more in my budget at around $209 each. Just need to get some fluro green paint ;)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Finally got the car back, I'd say its 99% better, but still a faint trace of vibrations but livable for now.

Just wondering I noticed a ticking or knocking when braking like from 60-70 at the lights, it wasn't heavy braking but could it be the ABS. Didn't notice it before.

When I can afford it I'll dump the chrome and get something better/lighter. If anyone has a set of VRX wheels lying around can they let me know :)

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Sounds like they bit the bullet and machined the discs. They, "Cricks" didn't even supply us a roadworthy for the ex demo RA we bought almost five years ago from them. Tell me you didn't use their in house finance?

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:46 pm

As for wheels......you cannot beat black on black for mine. Just make sure you get full black (no machined lip). If the BBS's on the Evo didn't have the depth to them (mind you they have to be clean). It would have full black on it. Leave the fancy colours for the coloured cars (no offence meant).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:04 pm

The click are only there under moderate to heavy breaking, if you just ride the brakes to slow down slowly, also using the gears you can't hear anything and there is no vibrations in the steering when the clicks can be heard.

So should I be worried or is it a sign the discs were machined?

I've got it booked in next Monday for the drive belt recall thing at a non Cricks Mitsubishi dealer, maybe I should ask them their opinion on them?

My old Lancer was dark blue and I painted the wheels a dark color, will probably get black wheels when I can afford them but just for a change I was gonna throw on some bright color in the mean time for a change. Maybe do it over the holidays when I have more time.

Yes we went for the Cricks finance, probably would have been better to shop around but I lost the first (better) VRX I was looking at which had the EVO bonnet and twin exhaust so was kinda trapped. The only issue I have with their finance is they then ask do you want the extra warranty and of course add the cost on to the loan. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to bring more money to the table or a good trade-in.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:09 am

I need some feedback on the clicking sound I've been hearing when braking, I'll take a quick look at the wheels/brakes this morning without removing the wheels but should I get them to check it out?

This is getting ridiculous, first the vibrations and I was without my call all week and now this!

Might go up to the Maroochy dealer in person this morning, not like they can do anything on a Saturday morning less than a week before Christmas.

Oh also when they put the new tires on the car I didn't get a booklet thing from Bob Jane, should I push the dealer for one or just go to BJ and ask?

So much for getting a 'new' car, would have been better off just spending the time and money swapping the engine in the old coupe.

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”