***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

RA vs NA?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

yatza
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: RA vs NA?

Postby yatza » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:12 pm

fisheye2 wrote:
aspir3 wrote:
fisheye2 wrote:How many kws the engine puts out is irrelevant if the car doesnt see a few runs down the qtr mile.

What?

Are you serious.

Yeah. Based on the amount of times I've seen guys with dyno sheets stating big figures but run a high 12 sec qtr.

you should have said power doesnt matter if you cant put it on the ground.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:39 pm

That's why IMHO its almost pointless putting a turbo on a FWD CJ or most cars for that matter with FWD and no decent diff or traction control. For me right now my VRX 2.4 has more than enough power to get me off the line quickly in day to day driving. Even loaded with 2 other adults and luggage for an interstate road trip it was a joy to drive, just change down when I needed a bit more up and go.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Oh I got it all wrong as I've tuned my car and never dragged. Silly me. I tuned it to get it more responsive and better to drive while making it more efficient. I'm shattered as I know nothing

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:27 am

Time to chill guys.

Yes its no point having loads of power you can't get to the road, and yes tuning helps not only the fuel economy but also give you the power where you need it. No point having all the power at the top end. Mods will help on the road and track if done right, this is where a normal car like the Lancer is often better than a high end sports car as you can't use it properly on the road and need a track to get the best out of it.

JMHO
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:33 pm

Thank goodness we all have different ideas of whats best and whats right or whats wrong.
Be a mighty boring and monotonous world if we all wanted and had the exact same car the exact same wife the exact same house etc:etc:etc:
Bless our differences.

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:39 am

Yes Troy, I am flying down tomorrow to put your car back to stock!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:34 am

merlin wrote:Yes Troy, I am flying down tomorrow to put your car back to stock!

Thanks, this will save me all the embarrasment of having my car tuned and not taken it down the quarter mile

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:02 am

Just happened to go through this November thread which brought a question to my mind.

How much power and or torque can the CVT transmission in the CJ, early and later models handle safely, long term?

Absolutely safe limit on the 2lt should be, 125kw power and 226nm torque as with 2.4ltr engines and the same box.

So 2.25 or 2.5 inch cat back exhaust and say RA induction snorkel looks safe.

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:21 pm

sarusa wrote:Just happened to go through this November thread which brought a question to my mind.

How much power and or torque can the CVT transmission in the CJ, early and later models handle safely, long term?

Absolutely safe limit on the 2lt should be, 125kw power and 226nm torque as with 2.4ltr engines and the same box.

So 2.25 or 2.5 inch cat back exhaust and say RA induction snorkel looks safe.

you can add all the bolt on in the word and an aggresive tune and the cvt is going to be fine turbo it and then youll have problems

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:30 am

Shaun Patterson wrote:
sarusa wrote:you can add all the bolt on in the word and an aggresive tune and the cvt is going to be fine turbo it and then youll have problems

Thanks for quick response lol. positive words I take it gained from your own experiences and expert opinion.
Fortunately I won't be going turbo, just mild mods so shouldn't have any worries. :)

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for quick response lol. positive words I take it gained from your own experiences and expert opinion.
Fortunately I won't be going turbo, just mild mods so shouldn't have any worries. :)[/quote]

just research and a little experiencem youll be fine with bolt ons man, they arent terribly weak

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:52 am

merlin is used by many to tune their cars, that's his game. So I would take what he has said as having been achieved and fact. Not supposition or may be.

Also note the 230kw is at the wheels, raising the bar higher again.

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:33 am

sarusa wrote:merlin is used by many to tune their cars, that's his game. So I would take what he has said as having been achieved and fact. Not supposition or may be.

Also note the 230kw is at the wheels, raising the bar higher again.

ive tune my ralliart myself, just sharing my experince there as alot of it can carry down

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”