***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Servicing your own car

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:47 pm

bunnishiwa wrote:Ryco filterss from Super Cheap are fine as long as you stick to the service intervals. You can get a decent after market panel filter such as K&N for that money, or again a Ryco one. I would also just go for a reasonable brand coolant and power steering fluid.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I got another question. My power steering fluid reads at an almost low point when the engine is cold, however it is almost full when the engine is warm. Is anyone experiencing this? Which reading is correct? When the engine is cold or warm?

According to the service manual, the PSF does not need to be replaced, only checked and top up whenever necessary. Let's say it is low and needs to be topped up. The car is @49,000 and I don't really know what PSF is in it, should I top it off with Mitsubishi gen PSF (assuming it is currently still using the OEM PSF) or should I be safe and do a complete flush?

Thanks.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:33 pm

have a read of

http://www.clubcj.net/workshop/SEARCH/2008/index_M1.htm

Section 37 - Power Steering Service -> On vehicle Service - > Power Steering System Air Bleeding

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:36 pm

I dont trust that power steering never needing replacement.
flush and bleed it at 100,000 kms or 5 years.

mine was brown\black after 60,000kms and 5 years.

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 pm

himynameisdaniel wrote:I dont trust that power steering never needing replacement. flush and bleed it at 100,000 kms or 5 years. mine was brownlack after 60,000kms and 5 years.

Thanks.
Me neither..

bunnishiwa wrote:Ryco filterss from Super Cheap are fine as long as you stick to the service intervals. You can get a decent after market panel filter such as K&N for that money, or again a Ryco one. I would also just go for a reasonable brand coolant and power steering fluid.

Where can I find a K&N air filter for around this price? I see them for like $100

trevordd
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby trevordd » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:48 am

Servicing my car became really pricy now. Where do you guys get your parts? My friend recommended me carpartkings discount parts online store. They are really affordable there. Have you tried one?
Last edited by trevordd on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:19 am

I would be weary getting discount parts online, depending what they are it could be just as cheap through SCA or Repco.

Unfortunately I'm locked into a 5 year contract with my used VRX where I have to have services and most mechanical repairs done through the dealer to keep my 5 year extended warranty. Upside is it's covered until 2020!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:17 pm

trevordd wrote:Servicing my car became really pricy now. Where do you guys get your parts? My friend recommended me a discount parts online store. They are really affordable there. Have you tried one?

I just picked up service parts today from SCA today and my local automotive store, came to a total of $140ish...

Got the following
- engine oil + filter
- coolant+distilled water
- power steering fluid
- brake fluid
- air filter
- cabin filter

Return to “Maintenance”