***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Web Site Hosts

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Web Site Hosts

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:43 pm

So not sure if this is the right spot for this but I have a domain name for a website that I haven't updated in a couple of years, most recently because the iMac I was using died and the Adobe software I need to use will now cost me a monthly or yearly fee. Also I've lost interest in it so its just costing me money.

Anyway the annual fee to host the site is due in like 7 days (seriously Feb 13) and while I've paid the domain name fee I'm considering canceling the hosting which is a lot more expensive. Especially for something I don't use and can't update right now and probably needs a lot of work modernise.

Some advice and help would be nice as I'm looking at pulling the plug by Saturday the 12th.

BTW the site is unrelated to Lancers or any cars.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Web Site Hosts

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:20 pm

I cut the cord, dropped the site yesterday. I still have the domain and a copy on my iMac so I'll revisit it at a later date.

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:13 pm

Good move - you can keep the domain name for as long as you want (barring the renewal of the registration) and pick up a cheap(er) hosting service later.

Depending on how nerd-tech you are, you might be able to get free hosting through github. Have a look at the Jekyll home page for more info. (Jekyll is a Ruby-based static content generation system I looked at and never ended up using. See https://jekyllrb.com/)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:18 pm

Not heard of those, didn't have plans to update what I had, not done much with it for years. Loosing access to update was like the final straw. I'll hang onto the domain name for now.

Return to “General Talk”