***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

A little confused here lol

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:50 pm

nice to know at least somebody listens to the old members, we know lots of shit and we dont lie :)

well sometimes we do, u pick the difference.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:58 pm

my phone is having issues posting on this forum .
Hypothetical question
Dealer gives you a bottle of injector cleaner can i still use it if im using premium fuel
My 2011 sx the best damn car Ive ever owned or driven !!!

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 am

Yes

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:12 am

Well as a tuner I can tell you the normally aspirated Lancers are setup for 98 octane premium fuel.

They are a high compression motor and the spark maps reflect that.
Run them on 95 or 92 and they will ping and start pulling spark ie they will start to interpolate towards the low octane spark maps and fuel maps.
Stock fuel maps are quite rich and the low octane fuel maps pig rich - you dont want to go there!

The spark and knock code will allow you to run low octane fuel, but the motor has been optimised for high octane fuel and you certainly get the best mpg on premium fuel.

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Speedie wrote:Yes

Thank you Speedie and everyone who has answered my question

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:43 pm

merlin wrote:Well as a tuner I can tell you the normally aspirated Lancers are setup for 98 octane premium fuel. They are a high compression motor and the spark maps reflect that. Run them on 95 or 92 and they will ping and start pulling spark ie they will start to interpolate towards the low octane spark maps and fuel maps. Stock fuel maps are quite rich and the low octane fuel maps pig rich - you dont want to go there! The spark and knock code will allow you to run low octane fuel, but the motor has been optimised for high octane fuel and you certainly get the best mpg on premium fuel.

Thanks Merlin I'm convinced will get my next tank will be premium with the cleaner ive been given .
I have only used normal unleaded when i first went to fill on the cap was a sticker that said use normal unleaded .
Having said that i did use that really cheap ethanol fuel i noticed drop or rise in fuel consumption didnt take much not to bother with that again.

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:46 pm

once again thank you everyone

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Good to know and I may test that to see if the better mileage is offset by the higher cost, guess you'll need a couple of tanks to flush out the regular ULP.

Looking at current prices you'll need an increase of more than 10% in fuel economy to justify the increased costs of 98 over ULP.

Will there be any noticeable increase in performance?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Good to know and I may test that to see if the better mileage is offset by the higher cost, guess youll need a couple of tanks to flush out the regular ULP. Looking at current prices youll need an increase of more than 10% in fuel economy to justify the increased costs of 98 over ULP. Will there be any noticeable increase in performance?

Good point might have to go to Costco or a servo near there to save $$$

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Right now the average price here in Caloundra is about $1.35 for ULP without any discount, down at Beerwah it's about 9-10 cents cheaper throught Woolies. But last week when the price was still at it's high point it was some 20c cheaper in Coolum Beach at a non Woolies outlet.

In the recent past I have driven 25km to Nambour when it was some 25c cheaper than the Caloundra price, even with an extra 50km trip it worked out $10 cheaper for the tank.

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:07 am

Ok so I let the tank get to almost empty added the injector cleaner and used premium fuel .
Might be my imagination feels a bit more powerful when I was doing 80 by the Airport legally doing 80 lol

itsagrantos
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby itsagrantos » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:01 pm

It is fairly simple maths/logic.

The higher the octane, the more energy per unit of petrol.

You will a) get a performance boost or b) get better fuel economy.

Notice it is 'or'.

If you are driving for performance, you will use the same volume of fuel, but go faster, however if you are driving efficiently and driving long distances at a constant speed, you use less fuel for the same energy output.

In addition to this, premium is usually a 'cleaner' fuel, so you are better off using a better quality fuel than having problems down the line.

Now in terms of it being financially beneficial, I don't think it adds up exactly. Whilst you may save around 1-2L/100km (at best), Premium would need to be less than 22% per litre more expensive (assuming you would get 9L/100km with normal ULP).

I am fairly sure it is a little more expensive than that... so financially not that beneficial, however should be more 'efficient' in terms of having to fill up less etc.

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Does raise the question why newer cars come with a sticker saying only use unleaded .
Is this a thing done by dealers to get more work out of owners !?

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm not that bright I'm just driving around Adelaide Itsagrantos .

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Mickyj63 wrote:Does raise the question why newer cars come with a sticker saying only use unleaded . Is this a thing done by dealers to get more work out of owners !?

From Mitsubishi the recommended fuel for the non Turbo Lancer is ULP but weirdly my CJ didn't have a ULP sticker inside the fuel lid. I have since added one.

Again it comes down to how you drive, what you're after (economy or power) and if it's worth spending 10-20% more on fuel every week in the hope it costs you less at the next service, which it won't for most as they would have likely sold their car before any big engine repair bills come along.

Return to “General Talk”