***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Morons on the road

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:57 pm

there should be a group buy going on just now for the Blackvue cameras. I bought one on one of our earlier ones. Best purchase ever. I definitely recommend getting it.

I dont know about police accepting it as evidence, but insurance companies certainly do. If you have to make a claim and you say you have camera evidence, they would love you for it. I've also heard that it could potentially lower your insurance cost as well if you have a camera fitted
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:37 pm

I highly doubt police would accept dashcam footage as evidence (from my experience in the past). At best it could supplement your testimony and/or corroborate other physical evidence of your side of the story. However I'm hopeful that in the near future - as transport companies now tend to fit them on their trucks, their popularity may persuade the lawmakers to set up some sort of acceptable industry standard and make their videos legally admissible evidence.

I've had dashcams in my cars for a number of years now - before the russian dashcam revolution of the internet made them mainstream elsewhere. I have tended to stick with low cost solutions as I found the batteries (as with all batteries) typically used in dashcams don't really do well in car environments. Car interior temperatures get really hot esp parked outside in summer - and I would hate for a several hundred dollar unit to be rendered unusable due to a non-removeable battery venting or exploding.

The Blackvues in the current group buy does seem to be the Rolls Royce of car DVR/Dashcams at the moment. If your pockets are deep - they will serve you well. The 4-5 various dashcams that I've used over the past ~7 years didn't cost me half of 1 Blackvue camera RRP however... including my current - which captured the video of my prev post:

Ambarella chipset, 1080p res, GS2000-knock off.
(ebay item number: 181228172802)

Digital
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Digital » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Yeah - I agree, I wanted to get something in the mid-range - main thing is clear pic obviously that's able to pick up number plates and decent night footage.

How's the one you've got go for night footage?

Looks good might have to settle for two separate units one for front and back!

pneill
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby pneill » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Just needed to vent... if anyone around newcastle spots a white nissan elgrande van going at top speed stay out of the way of the crazy person. I was tailgated by this person, and nearly lost my side mirror trying to get out of their way between bennetts green on way back to kotara... @#$(*&%^&% ! idiot.. enough said! - worst bit was they had kids in the back.. doing 130 in a 90 zone.. where are cops when you need them...
MY15 Ralliart Lancer - Titanium

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Kyrus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 pm

pneill wrote:Just needed to vent... if anyone around newcastle spots a white nissan elgrande van going at top speed stay out of the way of the crazy person. I was tailgated by this person, and nearly lost my side mirror trying to get out of their way between bennetts green on way back to kotara... @#$(*&%^&% ! idiot.. enough said! - worst bit was they had kids in the back.. doing 130 in a 90 zone.. where are cops when you need them...

well generally they are hiding behind a bush pointing a speed gun at ppl?
燒

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:37 pm

i have a dash cam but not a blackvue still pumps out the HD footage best thing i got ever the amount of twits i catch is unbelievable
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

Loki
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Loki » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:55 pm

I have considered getting one of these. They certainly are an interesting topic. I would be interested to see how they go re: connecting/setting them up because I hate having cables running all over the place. I like neat installs.

I believe that in order for them to be able to be used in a court as stand alone evidence the footage needs to be date/time stamped. That is the condition on use of security footage so I assume it is the same for these cameras.

As a fellow Novocastrian pneill I can empathise with who we have to share the road with sometimes.
You know that you have really got to someone when they invest personal time into tracking you down all over the internet.

You know who you are :)

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 pm

bulk of the time they just plug into ur cigarette lighter and are neat and tidy mine runs the under the of the roof liner near the front windscreen all the way through till it reaches the floor (so the door seals bits up near the roof liner ) then it runs under the passenger floor mat ( as it up on the passenger side ) under the seat and in the center console it plugs in
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker

(cj-red)

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Nate N » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:35 pm

pneill wrote:Just needed to vent... if anyone around newcastle spots a white nissan elgrande van going at top speed stay out of the way of the crazy person. I was tailgated by this person, and nearly lost my side mirror trying to get out of their way between bennetts green on way back to kotara... @#$(*&%^&% ! idiot.. enough said! - worst bit was they had kids in the back.. doing 130 in a 90 zone.. where are cops when you need them...

That's just stupid. I tend not to care so much when idiots want to put themselves at risk but it's so much worse when they have kids in the car with them.

That said, I haven't seen so much moronic behaviour up in Newy. I always seem to make up for it whenever I head down to Sydney though...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Had a scare today with an idiot in a Navara.

First I wasn't in the CJ but a small and slow truck. It all started where I was going up a short rise probably 20 under the 80 limit and caught in the right (fast) lane. Wanted to get over but other cars in the way. Then he cut me off at the next lights and when they went green he just sat there. Well then it got worse, the clutch slipped and I tapped the rear (no damage). They moved off slowly but then started brake testing me and cutting into my lane, I'd change lanes and they would cut back, all without indicating.

Now the road speed was 100 limit and this old truck normally runs at about 90, you really have to push it to get to 100. At one point he cut me off and we touched again, I pulled over to let him get away but he pulled in just up the road. We pulled off again and immediately he cut back in front of me at one point running down the center of the divided road blocking both lanes.

Eventually he pulled off at an exit but then I was watching to mirrors just in case they decided to pull in behind us. It was a scary ride all started because I was caught out in the 'fast' lane but that point of the road is 80kmh and has lights, intersections so you're allowed in both lanes if you can't get over or need to turn.

They called the shop (number on the side of the truck) and when the boss asked for their details they hung up. We called the police while being harassed and reported the rego number and what was happening. Also had to fill in an incident report back at the shop but had not heard from them yet since the road rage.

BTW There was next to no noticeable damage to the truck, the plastic around the number plate might have been crack but that could have been there for a while, so the contact was light.

Like I said the truck is slow, there was no way we were going to out run them, some drivers are so stupid.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:48 pm

It's sad but there are some aggressive drivers out there.

We are all human and make mistakes. A good driver is patient and prepares for other vehicles making mistakes. It's not a race on the roads.

Good to hear you ended up safe, well done

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:57 pm

A colleague's wife was a victim of road rage recently.

She was on her way home and stopped at some traffic lights and was the only car there. Before long a black 4WD screamed up and stopped an inch from her bumper, then the female driver got out and started abusing her, then punched her in the face.

Theres no understanding some people... I thought maybe it was an attempted car jacking, who knows.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:05 pm

All I know is this idiot wouldn't let me by, kept blocking me and could have easily driven off given the trucks slow top speed.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:14 am

So long story short this is the result of the issue above.

So there was minor contact at the lights which started off the crazy behavior that followed. At the time I wasn't even sure we have touched as there was next to no damage to the truck I was driving. Well none I could have been sure wasn't already there.

Return to “General Talk”