***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Tow Bar Setup Advice

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Tow Bar Setup Advice

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Would love a towbar like the one on the Lamborghini Urus, at a push of a button it folds away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGaKYmd809Y
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Back in the day when I used to have a work Triton we were told by the company to remove the tongue when not in use as one of the techs badly twisted their knee when they slipped off it while loading the tray.

So may be safer to limit 'accidents' etc.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:28 pm

I don't see me or anyone using it as a step, also with its new paint job its not like someone is gonna say they didn't see it!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:52 am

Why is it the trailer lights don't work unless the engine is running?

What happens if you break down and need the hazard lights on when parked in the emergency lane or worse, can't get off the road?

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:43 am

That's an odd one Possibly picked up the power supply for the trailer ecu from the wrong source.I'd be taking it back to the installer and get it sorted.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Maybe,

This is the harness connecting it up, notice Batt. in the bottom corner. Maybe this its powered until the engine is on, I'll have to check and see if it powers up with ACC on.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:

They only needed to make the towbar tongue a little bit longer and they wouldn't have needed to cut the bumper. Why do they just cut the bumper then redesign the tongue

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:26 pm

The OEM ecu picks up its power directly from the battery ( with a 10 amp inline fuse)
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:29 pm

The bar is a kit and what it comes with, they said other CJs don't have that lower lip, not sure if this is true?

I don't mind it, besides if it was longer then more chance to hit it with your legs.

But I do agree it is a poor design, have others had issues like this?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Changed the trailer plug today, to a flat one. Its nice when they follow the set standards. Just put the wire colours where they should be and bingo the lights all worked!

Then took it for a drive around the block. Still got some work to do on the trailer.

Here is the rev cam POV!

seanpain4
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby seanpain4 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:33 am

Lancer1993 wrote:Maybe,

This is the harness connecting it up, notice Batt. in the bottom corner. Maybe this its powered until the engine is on, I'll have to check and see if it powers up with ACC on.

Hello! i have the same wiring kit by the looks of it. How does that wiring kit connect into the stock wiring? And where abouts is it located in your car? Just trying to figure out where it goes. Thanks

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Mine is on the left side around the tail light, behind the boot lining. They put the wires through the boot vent which is also on the left in my CJ.

It works good but because of the way its wired you can't lock the car and see the trailer lights flash, which is a shame.

seanpain4
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby seanpain4 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Mine is on the left side around the tail light, behind the boot lining. They put the wires through the boot vent which is also on the left in my CJ.

It works good but because of the way its wired you can't lock the car and see the trailer lights flash, which is a shame.

Thanks. Do you know if they spliced into the wires or if they plugged into the loom? Cheers

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Mine doesn't have a plug so I guess they spliced in, they also ran one line from the right for the blinker.

tangoforsyth
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby tangoforsyth » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:50 pm

I have 2 CJ Lancers, 1 with and one without a Tow bar but going to be fitted later.

The wife's 2007 VR has a Aftermarket Bar with No ECU Loom, it's just cut and spliced into the existing wiring. The company thay installed it Charged a "almost as much as the Factory" price and were very Suprised when I quizzed them as to "Where is the ECU?". They said it wasn't necessary but didn't Argue the Point when I insisted that they Wire up the Reverse lights ( I have them on All my Trailers) as I could have Done it Myself at the Price they Charged, again I wrongly Assumed it was going to be wired with the ECU.

Second car is my 2010 ES that I bought a Factory Tow bar with Factory Loom/ECU combination for.....years ago, maybe 5 from memory. I have downloaded the Instructions and I vaguely remember the Wrecker saying something about "remove a red wire and replace it into a plug" or something simular....the instructions say that too I think, I might have to Actually read them before starting....lol. I will wait to Start the job till after I replace the Stupid "Fart-pipe" my Brother had installed on it (his "Mid-life crisis" car) as it is in the way of the Tow bar when I dry-fitted it.
Rules are for the Obedience of Fools and the Guidance of Wise men. Douglas Bader.

Only two things are Infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein.

Three can keep a Secret, if Two of them are Dead. Benjamin Franklin.

Return to “Exterior”