***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

GAS STRUT - HOOD LIFTERS

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

I deal with Coventry Fasteners, and their prices are strange to say the least!
Minimum cost for cash sales is $20
If a person off the street want one bolt, $20. Wow that is expensive.
I on the other hand purchase a lot of bolts, and receive 80% discount and do not get charged a minimum as all purchases are on account!
Tryg, Coventry have a factory just near my work where they make there bolts, nuts etc. Not sure how many they have.
Looking at the stud in the picture it is only M8. It could only be holding on by 4-5 mm. Removing the washers and replacing the nut with a large face nut is probably another good option. i am not a fan of half nuts as they often strip under to much force
VRX_Pete you are lucky you did not over tighten nut and strip the thread.
tryg, I agree it is important to the job once and once only. There is always more then one way to do a job though.

I believe it is fine to help others with an opinion, but we all must be careful not to put down others for their's

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Good to see we have knowledgable talent on these forums, it break out into some lively argy bargy. :)
Thanks for your help and ideas. Have re-done the install sans the lock washers and some Loctite. Install seems much tidier. (Only one hiccup was one of the retaining clips richocheted thru the hinge opening and down to the bottom of the fender panel, ON THE INSIDE. Had to jack the car to remove the tyre, rallyarmor mud flap to get inside the panel. LOLz. :lol: Fun and games!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by The X on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Remove one of the washers on the bonnet hinge.

It is important to have full thread in the nut. There is no need to have 2 washers. One will be enough. Good to hear you used loctite.

By the way i am a Mechanical tradesman with over 20 years experience in the trade not a backyarder who learnt as I was going!

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:50 pm

aspir3 wrote:Remove one of the washers on the bonnet hinge.

It is important to have full thread in the nut. There is no need to have 2 washers. One will be enough. Good to hear you used loctite.

By the way i am a Mechanical tradesman with over 20 years experience in the trade not a backyarder who learnt as I was going!

I am tempted to remove the washers from the hood, the two definately did not look right and with one, I'm still a bit meh. One good thing tho is there are two bolt/nuts per hinge, so it's not the end of the world. Still best to have the full thread sorted out.

I'll probably re do it tmrw, as I have to jack the car up and paint my brake calipers anyway. :) Thanks for your help again.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779

ImageImage

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm

@ VRX-Pete, mate that looks the business.. good choice on the carbon-style finish... looks excellent.

@Sam... Yeah sure Sam... if you want I can give you a plethora of engineering supply houses, and in particular the ones in Toowoomba (if that will satisfy you.....) ain't going to help you any, unless you want to mail order stuff. In fact a blister pack of 5 x M8 25mm (obtained at any auto chain or Bunnings) is going to be the same cost as M8 stainless allen cup heads at my local... This stuff is probably 302 or 304 grade.

@Aspir3, Maybe Conventry's is not for the everyday person, having to buy stuff in bulk sucks, unless you're doing hobbies all the time. But my local place is quite friendly to even a single nut purchase. I am sure those types of places are everywhere. I prefer to check pitch and length before buying a part... I have even seen plenty of professionals having to extract, re-tap or die thread parts when they stuff up.. You're right there is always more than one way of doing things... just ask the guy who lost his suspension fastenings recently, his way obviously was not optimal.

Yeah, if anyone feels that they have been put down here, apologies, I am happy to sit in the background and defer to those others, more qualified to respond.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm

What ever happened to the hood struts?

Last I remember different people from different states were looking at purchasing. I forgot all about these but was and still am interested at fitting them to the Aspire.

Any details of these to assist me would be appreciated. I thought there was going to a group buy.
Brand name, Part number, where to buy, cost etc.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:30 pm

some just bought them of their own accord;

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:38 pm

What rating are the lifters?

What brackets were others using that fitted our bonnets without drilling holes?

Where were they bought?

I am after help.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:49 am

I have a set on my car now.

I got them through a member on here who.

You can get them from any business that sell and gas the struts. They gas them to suit.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:14 pm

Bringing this tread back to life...

Been looking at some gas strut for my bonnet, seen some on eBay around $100 but today spotted these for $60.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-C ... 27ffd7d03c
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Berek
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Berek » Sat May 30, 2015 8:10 pm

They don't come with the mounting brackets. I asked...
EOI. 2008 MY09 VRX Front bumper complete. Foggies, pods, grille, badge.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Yeah I just got a reply too... there is one lot in Brisy but last I check they were out of stock.

I guess they others are replacements for the few CJs already with them? I mean whats the point of selling them and saying no drilling needed if you still need brackets to use them?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm

So you left the old bonnet stay thing on, just in case?
Don't mind I did the same on my old Lancer even though I'd put on some gas struts LOL

Contacted that Brisy one and they said they have them in stock again but I can't it at their store.
http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/bodykitskingdom

Where do I go for the Rainbow Pen ones?

Return to “Interior”