Custom Iphone Dock

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

mmjjee
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Custom Iphone Dock

Postby mmjjee » Sat May 28, 2016 3:39 pm

I was thinking of doing a small project for my Lancer.

Normally, the first thing I do when I get into my car is pop my phone into the little 'coin holder' compartment that is between the cup holders and gear stick.

My idea is to 3D model and print an iPhone dock to replace that small compartment and hard-wire an iPhone charging cable to the cigarette lighter and mount the connector so the iPhone can be charged in the dock.
I'll update this thread with progress, any tips are greatly appreciated. :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Custom Iphone Dock

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:09 pm

I was thinking of this but ended up putting a garage switch and USB power port in there.

If you want a good phone holder that is easy to use then try the Scoshche MagicMount which uses a magnet, perfectly safe for your smartphone you place a metal sticker on the back of the phone (or under the case) and it just sicks to the mount. Only time it fell off for me was some unplanned dirt road driving with the corrugations. That aside it works, I run a USB lead from the power in front of the gear change using a USB thing that plugs into the power socket. When power is not needed I just roll up the lead and put it in the space next to the power and close the cover.

This is the one I got at Repco before the trip. I have it stuck to the strip.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCOSCHE-Magi ... xykMpTHui7

My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:18 am

I believe we change phones to often to make a permanent dock. I've probably had around 5 phones since I bought my car send all of them are different.

mmjjee
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby mmjjee » Sun May 29, 2016 11:05 pm

@Lancer1993
My only drawback with having a dash mount would be running the cable, I'm a tad OCD about having a clean looking dash. However, I will look into a few different types/places to mount it.

@aspir3
I'm going to try to make the dock as universal as possible
Can always do a redesign/print in the coming years if need be

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:29 am

Should have been clearer but my concern with a dock in that position is a) you can't clearly see the screen being to low and at an angle from the driver and b) it could get in the way of changing gears or it could break something.

My solution means I can chuck the phone on the mount when needed, there are no fixed cables so no worries about future upgrades, just use a different USB cable and get a new metal sticker thing for other devices. I agree the exposed lead is not the perfect solution but for me it works as most of the time it's tucked away in the storage box in front of the gear change. Also if needed you can pick up the phone (while not driving) to make it easier to use and still have it charging.

PLEASE NOTE - the magnetic solution does NOT work with HDD based mp3 players like the classic iPod, but it's perfectly safe with all chip based solutions like smartphones and iPod touch that don't have a moving HDD inside.

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Mon May 30, 2016 11:23 am

I have one of these and it's great. They have some newer models now which I didn't realise, not sure what's meant to be better about it though.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Yeah loads of options, including one you can use to mount an iPad to the head rest for back seat passengers.

Return to “Interior”