HOW TO: Wrap your Dash Trim.

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

HOW TO: Wrap your Dash Trim.

Postby Masochist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Been searching around for a while before posting this, and even on the internet, there is no complete 'How To' for a trim wrap/spray. So figured that I would share my recently acquired knowledge for anyone that wanted to do the job themselves.

So, for all parts, I recommend removing the accent from the car. More so you can get the wrap behind the panel if you are wrapping, as it creates more of a 'seal' to prevent bubbling/warping. If you are spraying, then you should also remove parts to prevent over spray.

Starting with the dash trim. The long section that sits under the stereo, and has the hazards button mounted in it. You get to this by dropping the glove box, removing a single screw to the left of the glove box, and lifting the small panel to the right up from the bottom. This is only held in with 1 to 2 clips, and comes out easily. This reveals another screw which holds the dash accent in. Unscrewing this single screw, and gently prying the dash accent off will remove the entire panel in 1 hit. Quick and Easy.

For the equivalent panel to the right of the steering wheel, it is a little trickier. You need to remove the kick panel, being mindful of the airbag. 3 Clip in Holders across the base need removing, then 3 Philips Head Screws across the same area. All are visable with your head in the foot well. Peel this panel out towards the drivers seat, and you should hear about 4 to 5 pops as it gets unclipped. When moving towards the top of this panel, unclip the switches (ABS, Fog Lights, Headlight Level etc) from the rear, and then gently pull the top of the panel outwards, making sure you don't damage the holding clips near the top of it. Once this entire panel is removed, you should see a screw holding the drivers side accent in. Unscrew this, and gently remove.

On to the doors, and both are identical. So I will only write it once. Uncover the screw in the door handle, Grab handle, and on the outer edge of the door. And remove all 3 with a Phillips head screwdriver. Once all 3 are removed, you can gently unclip the tweeter cover at the top right, and then from the bottom of the door trim, peel outwards. The first time doing this, the door trim may feel 'stuck' ... but a hefty, but gentle tug releases the clips holding the door panel in place. Once the skin released, ensure you support it as you still have more things to unclip. You need to pull the holding clips, to release the cables from the door skin, and then unclip the handle/lock (green on drivers side, orange on passengers side). I say release the cables, as each of these is held onto the door skin in a plastic clip. And don't worry about where they go, each clip holding them is different so you can't put them back wrong. Then move down to the grab handle area, and unplug the harness for the mirrors, and also the windows on the door. These are a simple push tab and release mechanism.

Take the door panel to where you are doing your vinyl,spray as my recommendation is viewing it on the door skin before reattaching. On the back of the door skin, you will see a big white panel, which also has carpet liner/insulation. This is the cloth skin on the front side of the panel (take note, as that can be changed if you want as well). Remove the 1 screw to the left of the door panel, which holds the top (handle/lock mechanism), and then the 5 screws across the top of the white panel which allows you to get to some push tabs holding the door trim accent in place. Release those push tab accents, ensuring not to damage the tabs at either end of the trim, and tada you now have your door trim accents out and ready to be covered however you want.

When I get a chance, I will post some photo's of my finished product (once im happy with them), and also highlight the panels/screws that I am talking about.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Sorry if this was covered, I did read above but might have missed it.

Anyway the trim on the door that sits below the door release and runs the length of the door, can this be removed without taking the door skin off.

I'm planning on painting them and continuing the theme across the matching dash trim to the other side and if them can come off it will make my plans so much easier.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Lancer1993 no it cant. You need to disassemble the door skin to release 5 clips alon b the back ... and pull the top and bottom of the door skin apart to release the tabs holding that accent in

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:06 pm

I was hoping it would be easier.

Never mind I have taken the trims off a few cars before and even put power windows and mirrors in my old coupe, so this should be pretty easy mode. That said I might start with the dash trim as it's so easy to remove and see how it looks.

I did see a video on YouTube about replacing the cloth (or leather) part of the door trim but that might be a bit much for my idea.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:18 pm

The door ones are easy enough to get off ... takes about 5 minutes but i do agree ... the dash trims are easier by far ...

I am thinking i may take my trim off again and change from white cf vinyl to a spray instead.

Steph2987
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Steph2987 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 am

Great write up! Ive been meaning to wrap mine in silver cf to hide all the scratches it sadly came with

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:57 am

@steph2987 I did mine to hide the armorol drips that had gone over the trim, and marks from other stuff that had happened in the car prior to my purchasing it.

Return to “Interior”