Air Vent Issue?

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Air Vent Issue?

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:53 am

Ok the other day I noticed the far left air vent was not working, the outer control was not connecting with the vents, I then noticed there was a gap than is not on the other vents and it feels loose. I got the vent working but its a bit touchy.

The car is MY09 so out of factory warranty but is covered by a used car warranty, though that is mostly for mechanical issues.

It feels like it just need to be pushed back into place but I don't want to break anything as I've had similar issues with other cars. Also not sure how to access that part of the dash without taking it apart?

Should I just get the dealer to check it out or someone else?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:57 am

Actually the driver side one doesn't stay up all the time, depending on the angle.

I did take the strip of plastic off that runs the width of the dash yesterday to find a better way to run power for my dash cam. So do you remove that and then pull the vent from the bottom hidden edge?

The exterior plastic is flush with the dash, it looks like it's pushed in from behind.

gange
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby gange » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:25 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:I think Ive only ever seen one of these vents not collapse while driving (wont stay open), its a common problem. Not sure if that is your problem that youre talking about but if it is, its pretty normal. You can pop the cover off and fix the vents, they click in from behind. I did this when I replaced my regular black tab vents with the chrome ones like you have. Theyre a bit fiddly but not hard.

Erin, how did you get those tabs off the vents and where do you get the black ones ?

I hate my chrome ones so much *mad2*

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks for the advice, might still call the deal to make sure they are not covered by any warranty, just in case.

gange
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby gange » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:37 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:I swapped mine with my housemate who also had a lancer and had the chrome ones. You take the vents out as above and then pop out the horizontal louver with the tab on and replace with the other one.

Thanks, now to find some black tabs from some where :?:

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:21 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:I think Ive only ever seen one of these vents not collapse while driving (wont stay open), its a common problem. Not sure if that is your problem that youre talking about but if it is, its pretty normal. You can pop the cover off and fix the vents, they click in from behind. I did this when I replaced my regular black tab vents with the chrome ones like you have. Theyre a bit fiddly but not hard.

I know this has been sitting for a while but not had the time to do it, and didn't want to break anything.

Anyway found this video on removing the vent, it's for a Toyota but is the CJ basically the same?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7yIHiBJZY0[/youtube]

I did find this PDF in the workshop manual and it looks like it comes out from the top first. I have a plastic tool just need the courage to do the work.

http://www.clubcj.net/workshop/SEARCH/i ... B00ENG.pdf

Return to “Interior”