***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New Member - Craig from Caloundra

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Okay I've just had the tires checked today and apparently the wheels are slightly bent, they should be covered by the warranty as I noticed an issue on my test drive. A slight wobble on the steeling wheel around 100km/h.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Welcome to the club Craig...Someone will want the wheels...not sure what they are worth...personally i cant stand black wheels...It looks like your missing hubcaps running on Steelies lol...Anyway...Sorry to say but i dont think that dent will be able to be pulled out (Paintless Dent removal)
I dont think you can get behind it...I do know a really really good dent guy though...ive used him before and he is fantastic...ill try and find his details....PM me if i forget to.

Found it...Paul Galliford from Dent Rite 0417 627 994. Where it is it might have to be Glue pulled. Still paintless though.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Not sure the wheels are worth much if they are slightly bent as Bob Jane told me yesterday. They did a full balance check and even cleans off the rust marks left of the wheels but the hubs.

Talking to the dealer tomorrow as they should be covered by the used car warranty.

Here are the wheels I'd like but it would cost me about $209 each plus fitting to get them to put on the current tires.

To get that dent out a paint shop I've used before said they can do the job for about $200.

Just wondering who has painted the plastic engine covers, how hard is it and what do I need to do to do a good job. I painted the valve cover on the old CC a few years ago and that involved taking the cover off and a new gasket. Clearly doing the plastic bit on a CJ doesn't involve that much work.
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turbogirl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby turbogirl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Welcome Craig!

We have a CCJ xmas lunch on Sunday at Bribie following by a few of of us heading to Downshift if your interested. http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=16994

There is a guy a few of our members including myself and QMD members have used called Matty. He works wonders and can get dents out no one else can. Alan / Megatron (our State Rep) often gets him in for Workshop days and he does a good deal for us, and the even better news is he just moved back to QLD!
turbogirl
Member's Liaison Officer
Executive Team

In debt and loving it

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:41 pm

welcome nice buy

they are very nice cars to drive :) :D
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Unfortunately I can't make the xMas lunch this Sunday.

Went for a blast on the hwy a few hours ago, need to get those wheels sorted. But over all it's a nice ride, used the cruise control and auto wipers.

Might drop into the dealer tomorrow as he said drop around any time so I could take him on a drive to show him the issue. But its not my imagination, Bob Jane balanced it yesterday and then drove it them selves, at 100km/h its barely there but at 110 its very annoying and potentially dangerous. I did notice the vibration was worse under braking at 110, like you often do when you catch up to slower traffic.

I'm hoping we can come to some arrangement, like new wheels (check pic above) I was planing to sell the chrome ones to pay for others, but being bent I'm unlikely to shift them now and don't want to unload them on some other driver. Understandably I'm a little short of cash right now and I don't want them on my credit card.

Dumb questions time... Being 18" and 40 ratio rubber are they more prone to damaging wheels? Are more spokes better for strength or does it come down to the design and brand? I like the 5 spoke design but if 10 are better in the long run there are a few designs I like.

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Have you had the front end checked out? Like in wheel bearings, rotors\pads, bushes, CV's etc. I'd have thought that a bent wheel would show it's presence at any speed, not just certain speeds like any or some of the above would. Maybe even the wheels aren't fitted properly and missing some hub centric rings to make them sit on the hubs better. Just a thought.

(I'm wary of bob jane and what they say. Local bob jane wouldn't fit 235\45\17 tyres onto one of my magnas and demanding I pay for them to get 225\50\17 ones in due to that uncommon (expensive) size being the OEM fitted. Went to an independent tyre shop to get what I wanted and never been back to bob jane again.)

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:40 pm

From my background...(and it may have changed, but)...most generic wheel balance machines can only balance your wheels at, or around 100Kph. If your doing 115 (like everyone does) in a 110 zone.....tell the person trying to balance your wheels that is the speed you are doing.

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Wheels...we sold our RA to Eagers. I can't for the life of me remember what wheels we put on it before we sold it but the were awesome. Check Eagers Mitsubishi black RA on google and you might find it. Jax at kundah park in Maroochydore is where we got them. Nice wheels but they should've been 19" or even 20".
Wheel damage.....just be mindful of what you've got...if they are 45', 40' or 35' then you really need to think about where you are driving and what the road is like. ie. on 40's you probably shouldn't be hammering down an unknown dirt road (what you are actually doing on that dirt road with 40/18's? who knows.....but!)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:45 pm

The car just had it's 90k service by the dealer the day before I picked it up. And apparently a road worthy check buy the dealer at the same time. But they missed the drive belt recall issue (long story).

The wheels were checked by Bob Jane yesterday, as the tires were bought there 12 months ago so had one of there books to do it cheaper. I assume they know what they are doing as they took the wheels off the car and cleaned the surface that touches the hubs. I did send the dealer an email before it was done to let them know, but maintenance like this is not covered by the warranty and obviously needs to be done at a tire place and not the dealer. The car is covered by a 6 year warranty with some strict rules on this.

They are the ones who said it's the wheels but I guess have a vested interest in selling more wheels. I'm sure the dealer will want to have the car checked back at their workshop for any other faults, which means more screwing me around and time without my 'new' car.

I know unbalanced wheels and that is what this feels like, it's constant at 110 but worse under brakes. I really hope its not something mechanical but the warranty should cover me either way.

In the CC I had a CV joint problem last year and at first was told it was every thing from a bent wheel to a dud clutch until I found a mechanic who know exactly the problem from my description. In that case I was getting a vibration from about 75k under heavy acceleration but nothing when I backed off.

Ironically the CC still runs smooth up to the speed limit and probably beyond.

I would prefer 45 ratio tires but was told the 215/45 cost more than the 225/40. Not sure how much more though.

You shouldn't have to go through the crap a few days after picking up a 15k 5yo car!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am

UPDATE - Okay the dealer agreed there is an issue, said some bullshit that it had been checked by the same Bob Jane I took the car to, which I later double checked with them and they had not.

They will check the car next week and give me a loaner car for the day. They said they would see what they could do to resolve the situation. Right now I'm not getting the feeling they will come to the party and pay for some other alloy wheels. Also I was told by Bob Jane that original VRX wheels are likely to retail for about $800 each! I don't want used ones unless they are gutter rash free and 100% strait. Even used ones can cost as much as other new alloy wheels.

I'll post a photo of the loan car next week when I get it.

turbogirl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby turbogirl » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:23 am

I've had same issue with my rims too but no problems for awhile prior. Had vibrations at 110. I went to 5 places including Mitsubishi that have the good computers for AWD balance and alignment. Mitsubishi blamed my tyres (15% left on good Dunlop SP 600's) and the others all blamed my lightweight wheels.

Get them to check if it has centring rings. Bob Jane ended up finding one missing and one broken on mine. They replaced and still slight issue, took them for drive, he even brought his dad's MR wheels in for me and we went for another drive. They then put metal rather than plastic rings in and no dramas anymore! They won my business after that as they certainly went above and beyond call of duty. I bet this is the problem!!!

I sold my immaculate with not a single blemish RA rims (same as VRX) with 30% tread on the stock Yokohama tyres for $500. Keep your eye out someone will have some up for grabs. Look for after xmas sales too, I paid only $1200 for my Tenzo R spec 7 wheels (18x8.5). :D
turbogirl

Member's Liaison Officer

Executive Team

In debt and loving it

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:15 am

The tires are like new, only 1yo and 10k on them.

They were vibrating while on the balancing machine and I'm pretty sure the rings are okay as they had some others at the service counter.

Bob Jane are pretty good with all this and have said they can do a deal if I need to get some new wheels.

I'll see what the dealer finds next Tuesday but its really annoying as a quick drive before delivery on the HWY and they would have felt the problem. It's 100% fine under 90km/h but over that the vibration starts.

I just hope if they pay for some new wheels that I get a choice of style.

Not sure if these wheels are 7.5 or 8" wide.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:23 am

Just went to Repco, bought some black PlasticDip* type paint and ordered a dash mat, $50 in black... I sense a theme here ;)

* not actual PlasicDid but it should do the same job for my plan.

Also on the way back we hit 110km/h and tapped the brakes, the vibration is WAY worse under braking at that speed, I would say dangerous at HWY speeds if you have to slow suddenly. Yes I will be reminding them of this when I drop off the car Tuesday.

On a better note I just discovered something else about the VRX, you can use the windows for a short time after you turn the key back to just Acc. Found out by accident when I left my dad in the car to pop into another shop, he was able crack his window. Cool!

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Word of advice on the dashmat...use cable ties through the windscreen vents to hold it on and throw the little sticky/Velcro pads away. *dance*

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”