***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Self servicing

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Self servicing

Postby bunnishiwa » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 am

Hi,

Couldn't find a thread that covered it, but I know some others here do their own services. Can someone advise me on the legality of self servicing with regards to warranty etc. I realise receipts need to be kept, but how would I mark the book etc.

Anyone had any issues with doing this with regards to selling the car (not that that's gonna happen (unless someone can pony up $30,000 for an RA :D )

Any advice or tips gratefully received
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Jim G
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jim G » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:32 pm

To retain your warranty you need to have it serviced by a qualified mechanic in accordance with the schedule set out in the logbook (or at least have it recorded in there that that has been done... friends with any mechanics?). It's legal to ignore that but you may run into trouble should you need the warranty!

Edit: I should add that I'm saying this based off what I found out when I called Mitsubishi a few weeks back with a warranty enquiry... apparently they're quite strict with this stuff. I have heard otherwise from people in various forums online but from what Mitsu said I'm going to be paying to have it serviced at the intervals and not mentioning any servicing that gets done inbetween. I sure don't want to be giving them any grounds to not honour the warranty when it comes to paying for engine repairs should something go wrong.
25% off vehicle photoshoots for ClubCJ members!

http://codastudios.com.au

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Asked MMAL this question and they tried to tell me it had to be done at a dealer, when I pressed that this was against ACCC rulings, they conceded that you can self-service but they dont "recommend" it. At the end of the day so long as it is serviced as per the log book they don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Jim G
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jim G » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:50 pm

smithsy wrote:Asked MMAL this question and they tried to tell me it had to be done at a dealer, when I pressed that this was against ACCC rulings, they conceded that you can self-service but they dont "recommend" it. At the end of the day so long as it is serviced as per the log book they don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Hm, I like the sound of that... got a link to some more info on those rulings?
25% off vehicle photoshoots for ClubCJ members!

http://codastudios.com.au

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:59 pm

"In relation to general servicing, motor vehicle dealers are entitled to insist that any servicing performed on cars they sell is carried out by qualified staff, according to the manufacturer’s specifications, and using genuine orparts where required. Provided these appropriate quality conditions are met, regardless of where you choose to get your car serviced, your warranty will remain intact. So shop smart and shop around."
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item.pht ... 06&fn=ACCC

Restricting you to only a dealer (like they were originally trying to tell me I had to do) is third line forcing and illegal under the Trade Practices Act. MMAL do however have an exemption from the ACCC for the road-side assistance to only apply if you service at their dealerships but as for warranty this will not be affected.

So according to ACCC supposedly they can say the person has to be qualified however, I was told my MMAL it just needs to be done by the book if I do it myself. besides, half of the dealer's general servicing work is done by useless and un-qualified apprentices.

So servicing by any mechanic is ok, whether or not you want to go by what I was told by MMAL and service yourself is upto you and I would recommend consulting MMAL yourselves.

But again it's really going to depend on what the issue is, if say your MAF dies and you had replaced the filter as per spec then they have no way of saying your maintenance caused the faulty part. if the whole engine shits itself and needs a major rebuild then you'll have a fight on your hands. Although given most people here are going to have mods on their engine, you'll already have a fight on your hands to get major stuff done under warranty.

DJBOOBY
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby DJBOOBY » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:33 pm

ok here my 2 cents
im a mechanic by trade but no longer work in the motor trade
I still have my lancer service by the dealer and will do so the life of the car warrenty.
I have seen first hand of people trying to get warranty for a car not service by a dealer and if thing have not changed a dealer will try and get out of paying if he can
I suggest getting your book out and reading it but i think you need to get it done by dealer to get the 5 year warranty and road side assistance.
As well a car service the life of ownership by dealership will get you a better resale price.
edit
Ok in the Diamond roadside assist book it state to get the 5 years you need to have at least one scheduled {time or distance based} service per year performed by a dealer page 3 in Diamond roadside assist book
Last edited by DJBOOBY on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:47 pm

"suggest getting your book out and reading it but i think you need to get it done by dealer to get the 5 year warranty and road side assistance."

Roadside assistance yes, 5 year warranty no. The exemption from the Trade Practices Act only covers the roadside assistance.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Cool - so the upshot appears to be getting it serviced by a reptuable mechanic to er on the safe side re warranty

Thanks to all :D
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03

- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)

- Lowered on Kings

- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP

- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system

- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:12 pm

The other thing to consider the day your warranty expires if serviced out of a dealership thats it, but if you have it dealer serviced regularly they can put in for good will warranty which generally at least pays for parts.

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:19 pm

I think the dealer is reimbursed by MMAL for any warranty work done.
2009 ralliart

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Would it be an issue if I replaced the oil/filter at 7500km intervals, from the annual service, with genuine OEM products?

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Extra services are always recommended especially if doing less than 15,000 k's per year or driven harder. Using genuine parts is the best.

DJBOOBY
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby DJBOOBY » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:02 am

as above if you don't do many km it best to get it service every 6 mounths
my car done just over 10000 km in 12m and has been service at 1500km 5000km 10000km oil and filter every service

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:59 pm

I did the oil and filter change myself (Ryco Z411 filter and Castrol Edge Sprot 5w-30 full synth), cost me about $12 and $55 respectively.
As for warranty, keep your receipts.
I took my car in for the 12 mth service y'day, instead of $315 they charged me $129 - and they stamped my service book as the oil change being done. I brought the left over oil in the 5L bottle with me, so they can eyeball it and confirm it's legit.
The only thing the guy told me is keep your receipts and in future suggest I use a genuine Mitsu oil filter in case of warranty. But I told him unless the filter was the cause of the problem, then that's irrelevant. He kinda backed down after that. LOL.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Return to “Maintenance”