***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

User avatar
schoolofmonkey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Location: Gold Coast QLD

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby schoolofmonkey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Well the Upper intercooler pipe, BOV and exhaust is done, I decided to do the E85 conversion the same day as the tune which means I only have to tune the car once.
Talking to the guys at AK there's really no need for the intercooler upgrade, I'm not tracking the car on hot days, or street blasting all the time, so that will be on the back burner.
Saved the extra for the "just in case" shift fork on clutch replacement as there's nothing wrong with the clutches at the moment.

I plan to get some cable extensions to tidy up the cables, then paint the rocker cover.

Image

Image

User avatar
bumblebee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby bumblebee » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:40 am

No to go nuts with wrapping under the bonnet.
Wrap the radiator hoses in exhaust wrap and zip ties.
Do the air intake in gold reflection tape/sheet.
Fuel rail in gold heat reflection tape
Does the RA have a EGR valve? If so , get it blocked and ECU modified to suit.
The turbo hardware can be wrapped or costed in ceramic coating as well to reduce the heat
There is more ponies to to picked up for a few hours work

User avatar
schoolofmonkey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Location: Gold Coast QLD

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby schoolofmonkey » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 pm

bumblebee wrote:No to go nuts with wrapping under the bonnet.
Wrap the radiator hoses in exhaust wrap and zip ties.
Do the air intake in gold reflection tape/sheet.
Fuel rail in gold heat reflection tape
Does the RA have a EGR valve? If so , get it blocked and ECU modified to suit.
The turbo hardware can be wrapped or costed in ceramic coating as well to reduce the heat
There is more ponies to to picked up for a few hours work


Will have to look into that, I did get my battery cover today, fitting was fun with my little chubby fingers, dropped a but, landed under the battery tray, what I found under the battery was the little black plastic covers for the nut on the battery cover just laying there, I'm surprised they had been there so long it that little groove :P

On another note , you know how I'm interested in going E85, should I go full E85 or flex, there's stacks of United servos around near me, the are building another one 2 minutes away, I don't go away on long trips, it's more around town, furthest I go is the North Side of Brisbane or Ipswich from the Gold Coast, there's plenty of United servos on the way, would be buying a couple of jerry cans anyway.
I read that E85 is harder on seals and they need to be replace more frequently as well as filling up with 98 to flush the E85 out from time to time, is that true?

User avatar
bumblebee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby bumblebee » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:45 pm

E85 can be header on some cars seals then others.
Having said that
I know a number of guys with Evo' that are well over 10 years old and been running E85 in it since day dot and zero issues.
Been running E85 in the lancer well over 6 months with zero issues.
I know a guy in USA running a lancer on E85 for almost 2 years and zero issues.
If you can run flex fuel, then I absolutely urge you to do so.
I don't have flex fuel so for.ke.to swap over between say 98 and E85 I need to run the tank as low as possible.
Throw a Jerry of fuel in that's is what I want to change to and reflash.
Nothing hard. Just a bit finicky.
Rare that I do it
Just need to plan my trips a bit better when going away.
Having said that
Never been caught.out yet , because I take the time to look at Servo and see what's available before I disappear down the road.
Wouldn't be a bad idea.to get the injectors removed and cleaned and seals replaced with I think they are called "Vinton" seals or something like that.

Once on E85 you can run on that till the cows come home if you wish
I know guys who run exclusively on E85 , and that's it and never in 10 years swapped back to 98 or anything else and never had an ounce of issues.
The main thing is the fuel filter in the tank.
They are less then $100 and wise to replace yearly, and to be honest this should be done regardless of E85 use or not.
Remember E85 is a great cleaner and will keep everything spotlessly clean from the tank forward, the fuel lines , fuel rail injector, valves, piston, etc
The beauty of E85 is it is inexpensive, renewable , and knock resistance in the engine so you can advance the spark and get extra ponies from the engine.

No need to carry extra fuel Jerry, if you have flex fuel you won't ever need to ever carry extra Jerry.
Even I don't carry extra Jerry.
If I have any doubt I may run out of E85 before I leave home I take my laptop with me and go wherever I need to.
If I know I'm.goung on a huge trip a week.or.two before I leave I will convert back to 98.
I have a laptop and my own tactrix open port and all the ROMs and I have tunes for E85 and 98 so I can do it all myself

User avatar
benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm
Location: Oz

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby benyamin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Hey bumblebee, maybe we should kick off a convo with merlin to see if he's willing / able to add flex fuel to the NA ROM like I discussed with you about a year ago... If I'm not mistaken RA's already have it in the modded ROM, yes...? Just need to add a decent sensor...?
MY09 VRX one of these: (cj-sb-red)

User avatar
schoolofmonkey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Location: Gold Coast QLD

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby schoolofmonkey » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:07 pm

bumblebee wrote:E85 can be header on some cars seals then others.
Having said that
I know a number of guys with Evo' that are well over 10 years old and been running E85 in it since day dot and zero issues.
Been running E85 in the lancer well over 6 months with zero issues.
I know a guy in USA running a lancer on E85 for almost 2 years and zero issues.
If you can run flex fuel, then I absolutely urge you to do so.
I don't have flex fuel so for.ke.to swap over between say 98 and E85 I need to run the tank as low as possible.
Throw a Jerry of fuel in that's is what I want to change to and reflash.
Nothing hard. Just a bit finicky.
Rare that I do it
Just need to plan my trips a bit better when going away.
Having said that
Never been caught.out yet , because I take the time to look at Servo and see what's available before I disappear down the road.
Wouldn't be a bad idea.to get the injectors removed and cleaned and seals replaced with I think they are called "Vinton" seals or something like that.


I can get a Flex Fuel kit installed at the same time as everything else, does it need any extra tuning on the day.
They are fitting the 100 cell cat, front pipe, COBB 3-Port Boost solenoid, DW300C Fuel Pump, ID1050X Injectors, plus the O2 Wideband sensor, the O2 cats etc.
That was for the E85 and to finish the exhaust/cat swap, just running the exhaust cat back for now, at least doing that breaks it in.
They have a "Driven Flex Fuel Kit (PNP)" for $578, I just don't know if you need extra time tuning the car for flex fuel.

Honestly I've never let the car go under 1/2 way since I've had it, bad habit I've done with all my previous cars too, even on long trips, grew up way out in the bush (Rankin Springs, Google maps it, you'll understand), so my old man just made sure the car was always full due to long distances from town to town, rubbed off on me.

From what I seen I can get all the way to my mums place in Glenwood (30km's out of Gympie) with plenty of United servos in between, checked their website.

If you were in my shoes what would you do, the Flex or full E85?

User avatar
bumblebee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby bumblebee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 am

Flex fuel all the way
I wish I had it
The car needs to be tuned for E85 first
Then they can modify the maps for it.to breaknit down in the rom
What usually happens is there is about 10 different fuel maps in the rom from 10 to 100% E85 in the tank and the rom can adjust AFR, spark , etc to suit.
I sat down months ago with my gps and PC and found every E85 servo in the country and program them all to the GPS. No matter where I am , I can do a search and type in E85 and it will find me the closest one.
I crunched the numbers last year , from memory so long as 98 was more expensive then $1.70 then you buy E85 otherwise buy E85 and be done with it

User avatar
schoolofmonkey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Location: Gold Coast QLD

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 am

bumblebee wrote:Flex fuel all the way
I wish I had it
The car needs to be tuned for E85 first
Then they can modify the maps for it.to breaknit down in the rom
What usually happens is there is about 10 different fuel maps in the rom from 10 to 100% E85 in the tank and the rom can adjust AFR, spark , etc to suit.
I sat down months ago with my gps and PC and found every E85 servo in the country and program them all to the GPS. No matter where I am , I can do a search and type in E85 and it will find me the closest one.
I crunched the numbers last year , from memory so long as 98 was more expensive then $1.70 then you buy E85 otherwise buy E85 and be done with it


I just flicked a email to AK asking how much extra for the Flex Fuel setup.
From what I understand you don't need to run the tank nearly dry to use the different fuels what that, not like yourself.
I did the same thing with all the United Servo's, there's 2 about 10 minutes from me, but they are building one 2 minutes away near the Coles I shop out, so that will be good when it's finished as well.

I get what you mean with the Flex Fuel, it's piece of mind that you can stick 98 in the car if you can't get E85, I'm guess you take a little power hit when you do.

User avatar
bumblebee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby bumblebee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 am

Correct
Flex fuel you can mix and match 98 and E85 and the flex fuel sensor will have the fuel pass thru it and it can figure out what fuel it is and adjust the tune to suit
Unlike me at the moment , I have a knock sensor and brain power to remember what fuel I'm running and reflash the ecu manually to swap between E85 and anything else.
Having said that
It maybe worth while getting a tune done for E10 as well

E10 goes.well in the NA lancers once the ecu tune is done right and I have no doubt it will in an RA as well
However
Easiest thing is to get it done for flex fuel
AK will tune it to 98 first then E85
Once they have the end points of the tune done they can work backwards from it and get the ROMs sorted for the ecu so the ecu can get everything done right for what ever fuel it can see in the lines

User avatar
bumblebee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby bumblebee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 am

Don't be surprised if you need to change fuel pump
I use an Aeroflow 325 L/Hr
Direct fit to the fuel filter in the tank
Should fit the RA and Evo X
It was labelled as Evo X in the first place so should fit RA fuel filter

User avatar
schoolofmonkey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Location: Gold Coast QLD

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:36 pm

bumblebee wrote:Don't be surprised if you need to change fuel pump
I use an Aeroflow 325 L/Hr
Direct fit to the fuel filter in the tank
Should fit the RA and Evo X
It was labelled as Evo X in the first place so should fit RA fuel filter


Yeah they quoted me on the DW300c Flows 340 L/Hr, E85 Compatible.
https://www.akracing.com.au/product/dw3 ... fuel-pump/
https://youtu.be/N_u3bdorYbs

Just waiting to hear back from them about the Flex Fuel, but it is Friday and I'm booked in for the 23/3, so plenty of time to work it all out.
Still got to find the time to drop off the cat for the O2 wideband install.

User avatar
bumblebee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby bumblebee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:44 pm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/362780723736

One of these for half the price ok AK should do the trick nicely
This is the one I have

What WB are you getting I don't remember you mentioning it

User avatar
schoolofmonkey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Location: Gold Coast QLD

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:07 pm

bumblebee wrote:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/362780723736

One of these for half the price ok AK should do the trick nicely
This is the one I have

What WB are you getting I don't remember you mentioning it


It's the AEM X-SERIES Wideband
https://www.akracing.com.au/product/aem ... ratio-kit/

I don't mind getting the fuel pump from them, they are doing it all under one quote, so it's all installed and warrantied by them.

I work in IT, plus build PC's on the side, I tend to buy from shops that have better warranty practices even if the product is a little more expensive, less downtime :D

I can overclock the snot out of a PC, but working on cars is still a learning curve, always afraid I'll break something, if I had a second pair of hand or a spare car I'd attempt more because I wouldn't be stranded if anything happens :P

User avatar
bumblebee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby bumblebee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Ah ha!
Very similar to mine I have the 30-4110 AEM

You can go nuts with the ecu rom if your good at reverse engineering hex code or have a decent disassembler .
Other wise you need a good ecu tuner and laptop and tactrix open port.

All sounds good though
Should be quite nice once your done getting this sorted out

User avatar
schoolofmonkey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Location: Gold Coast QLD

Re: Looking at a 2013 Ralliart Lancer

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:27 pm

bumblebee wrote:Ah ha!
Very similar to mine I have the 30-4110 AEM

You can go nuts with the ecu rom if your good at reverse engineering hex code or have a decent disassembler .
Other wise you need a good ecu tuner and laptop and tactrix open port.

All sounds good though
Should be quite nice once your done getting this sorted out


Well I'm doing everything I can with the stock turbo, I did ask AK about upgrading the intercooler, they basically said with running E85. my style of driving and no real track days it's really not worth it at the moment.
So I've pretty much done everything else beside bigger turbo and intercooler.
There was talk of maybe getting close to 200kws with the E85 and tune, and the clutches are supposed to be rated for 260kws

I still have money there for new clutches and/or shift fork when I need them, from what I see it is usually when, could happen in 5 years time, but it will one day need doing.
Good video from Jackson Strain about What You Need To Know Before Buying An Evo X MR Or Ralliart
https://youtu.be/b4WdvEw40gA

He touched on the SST, owning a 2008 Evo X only now the clutches are slipping. so I know it's a possibility.


Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests