***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Louder horn for CJ?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

mitsfan
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsfan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:11 pm

JaCe:

The CJ uses a standard spade terminal on the upper right horn, which is easy to get to once you remove the black cover plate under the hood.

If you use the harness kit from Stebel, it includes the cable connectors you need, including a three-way spade terminate for easily connecting onto the existing horn connection at the front upper horn.

Here are some images, showing where I mounted the relay and the horn:

Image[/list]

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks for the tip. I didn't buy the harness but I got the Stebel horn for around $23aud. Will do a DIY sometime this week based on your info!

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:03 pm

To save me a bit of trouble and because I can't easily tell (my electrical knowledge is limited), is there only a single horn in the stock Lancer? AFAIK I can only see one.

The other question is my mate reckons he had water damage on his horn... but I thought these things don't get affected by water since they're already front mounted? Any thoughts?

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:25 am

JaCe wrote:Thanks for the tip. I didn't buy the harness but I got the Stebel horn for around $23aud. Will do a DIY sometime this week based on your info!

Wow that's cheap! Did you get the magnum or the nautilus?

I'm looking at getting the Nautilus Compact Track horn http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=17&uso=&tipologia=TUNING, gives out a single tone 300Hz. It's an air horn, but hoping to use in tandem with OEM electric horns. Cheapest I can find on Ebay is $89!

The cheaper options are the Magnum http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=3&uso=&tipologia=ELECTROMAGNETICS which does a two tone harmony of 410Hz and 500Hz - which I think the OEM ones do but not as loud :)

The alternate is the Nautilus http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=4&uso=&tipologia=ELECTROPNEUMATICS - nice sound. Different.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:16 pm

I got the TM80/2.

This pic might be interesting for you:

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:04 pm

JaCe wrote:I got the TM80/2.

This pic might be interesting for you:

Ah so the Magnum. What store is that? My guess would be a SuperCheap, but nothing online, so I guess i'm wrong. :lol:

ImageImage

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Nah it was from a Singaporean shop called McWell's Ventures. I go there every time I'm in Singapore and buy something back- they tend to be the first to import things (first to have a K&N Typhoon SRI for my Civic FD1 R18A engine) and have a lot of experienced staff on hand. Prices are also pretty good. Mentioned elsewhere on CCJ that I bought the Pivot 3Drive Flat + 6A harness for a bit under $350aud. They have a lot of parts on hand (e.g. bodykits, visors, struts, turbos, timers, gauges, etc...)- took lots of pics so I might make a thread with photos from Singapore/Malaysia to show the guys here!

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:25 pm

JaCe wrote:To save me a bit of trouble and because I can't easily tell (my electrical knowledge is limited), is there only a single horn in the stock Lancer? AFAIK I can only see one.
From what I've read there is a second one lower down, right hand side near the fog light. I suspect I may have read it in this thread. too lazy to check back. LOLz. :lol:

ImageImage

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Can I confirm if you guys needed to remove the bumper to change the horn? I'm not using the official mount but it should be easy to splice the wires and hook it up I think.

Sounds like I might if there's a 2nd horn... *goes back to reading thread*

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:20 pm

go go bendy arms !!

mitsfan
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsfan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:25 am

JaCie:

The second horn is down low beside the lower left fog light.

I recommend keeping the two oem horns and adding your new air horn, and as someone else commented here, this may be a legal requirement also.

If you are just adding a new horn, you only need to remove the black cover plate above the radiator (the same one many ClubCJ members are modifying to let more air into the NA air inlet).

For compact Stebel air horns, I understand that you need to avoid allowing water to enter the horn by locating them in a well-sheltered location, and facing the horn aperture downwards (not horizontally towards the open front grille). If the air horn is located just inside the front grille facing downwards, I have seen others also suggest not using it unnecessarily in really stormy wet weather - but I don't know if this is really necessary or not. Perhaps others with more experience with air horns could comment. (It may be that all of this is incorrect and that you need to keep the Stebel horns approximately vertical for some other reason related to the attached air compressor.)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:03 pm

mitsfan wrote:JaCie:

The second horn is down low beside the lower left fog light.

I recommend keeping the two oem horns and adding your new air horn, and as someone else commented here, this may be a legal requirement also.

If you are just adding a new horn, you only need to remove the black cover plate above the radiator (the same one many ClubCJ members are modifying to let more air into the NA air inlet).

For compact Stebel air horns, I understand that you need to avoid allowing water to enter the horn by locating them in a well-sheltered location, and facing the horn aperture downwards (not horizontally towards the open front grille). If the air horn is located just inside the front grille facing downwards, I have seen others also suggest not using it unnecessarily in really stormy wet weather - but I don't know if this is really necessary or not. Perhaps others with more experience with air horns could comment. (It may be that all of this is incorrect and that you need to keep the Stebel horns approximately vertical for some other reason related to the attached air compressor.)

Thanks for the tips. My friend ended up doing the install for me- we replaced the horn in the grille with the Stebel airhorn (facing downwards) using the included mount on the existing location, and mounting the 2nd one to the passenger side of the engine bay also near the grille but facing the other way (in both cases the airhorn facing downwards and not out to the road). Left the other stock horn in the bumper because too difficult to remove. The new sound is quite good but a bit on the high pitched side compared to the Stebel horn I included in the Civic FD. However the red casing looks awesome from the front (my Civic one is grey).

Thanks to ej20i from Edge-Racing.net

ps. Forgot to confirm the point that a) there are two horns in the CJ Lancer/CZ Evo X, and b) you don't need to remove the bumper to unplug/disconnect them but if you wish to install a horn in the bumper's location, obviously you will need to remove the bumper to reach it.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:07 pm

JaCe, so what's your thoughts, well worth the trouble?
Since you got the TM80/2 - that's going to be a 500 & 410 harmonized tone plus the left over lancer's other horn (which is may be the 500) - hence the too high pitch noise. Try putting the removed one back in to even things out and have the original dual harmonized tone.

Me, really considering the 300Hz truck one for a triple harmonized tone of 300/410/500 and a bit of oompf. :)

ImageImage

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:19 pm

mitsfan wrote:JaCe:

The CJ uses a standard spade terminal on the upper right horn, which is easy to get to once you remove the black cover plate under the hood.

If you use the harness kit from Stebel, it includes the cable connectors you need, including a three-way spade terminate for easily connecting onto the existing horn connection at the front upper horn.

Does the harness kit or the horn have the 30A relay?

ImageImage

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:34 pm

mitsfan wrote:The second horn is down low beside the lower left fog light.
Hmm mines on driver's side, once you remove the fog light panel, it's right there. I'll upload some pix later tonight from work. My 3G card has crap coverage at my olds. :(

Edit as promised: here is the view from the drivers fog lamp.

ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”