***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Interior LED Lights

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Raijin
INACTIVE Member Account

Interior LED Lights

Postby Raijin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Are interior LED lights illegal while moving? Or does it depend on the brightness (whether they can see if from outside)?

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:46 pm

if they can be seen from inside they much from the front white or from the rear red any other colour cannot be see from inside the car, if red is see from the front of the car inside or out it is illegal as with rear but for white unless reversing.

if it cannot be see outside the car it can be any colour you want.

Check here for your states rules and modifications rules. (not everything is there)
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=3234
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:04 pm

^^ Correct!

I found that the LED ones are wayyyyy to bright for the interior, and is actually very distracting.

If you are after interior lights, go for the old neon tube style ones. Their a bit cheaper than the LED ones and you can usually get a pack of 2 for the price of one LED tube.

Good thing with them is that they aint too bright. There bright enough to know their there, but not so bright that its distracting.

My car has 35% tint on the front and 25% on the rear and i can bareeely see the light on the inside. Plus ive mounted mine under the seats insted of under the dash so half the time my legs are blocking the light making the light softer anway..
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 pm

I agree with Tadz... interior LED's are bright and dazzling... even if they are behind you, your passengers will get dizzy/etc... my friend has this hooked up to his doors so when they open it has a LED glow but it's cool at first, but if it's left on, you get very dazed very quickly!

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:34 am

Mmm... can't wait to scare/dazzle people with my 30SMT led Cabin light. lol
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:27 am

i believe jace was referring to the ones that people have always on not ones that turn on when the doors open lol
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:52 am

I'll add to this thread, not 100% sure on the 'truth' of it.

I was pulled over on Thursday ( 5 hours before double demerits started, argh!) for my "driving style". I'll explain this first so I don't look like a tool, lol.

I was following my friend who wanted to go to a petrol station (as did I) and the road had 4 lanes divided by a median strip in the middle, we were in the right lane and a car moving slow was ahead, so he overtook it without speeding and so did I, he then goes into the left lane to turn to go down the road to the servo, without thinking I also go into that lane but then remember you can't get to servo by turning so I went back into the right line fairly quickly and stopped at the light and signalled with my hand for him to come back this way, police saw this and pulled me over, gave me a warning for the driving and to be careful.

They ALSO warned me for my LED's. I usually turn them all off when I get pulled over (Unfortunately it is a regular occurence.) but I forgot to turn off the front grille LED's which are blue and when I got out of my car I didn't close it so the blue map/dome LED's were also on.

Long story short the officer explained blue/red at the front of the car are bad, gave me a warning and said that my license has been flagged and if they pull me over for this issue again they will yellow sticker me, no hesitation :(

As long as the interior lights aren't too bright for you to see and they aren't blue/red the cops should be okay with them, but just turn 'em off :)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:05 am

Its a common occurrence up here too.. no matter how many times it is explained, that Red and Blue lights are only to be displayed by emergency service vehicles, people still pump out those colours on their vehicles whilst moving....

If you want them to show off your ride whilst stationary, excellent.. but nothing more distracting than a car illuminated like a Christmas tree whilst driving... I even hate the over-zealous truckies with their 1000 LED trailers etc....

No offence to you Graham, but if they weren't sold at Autobarn etc then I am sure we wouldn't be having to read your post...

If people want to replace their LED courtesy lights and make them so powerful they get skin cancer from them, super, its up to yourself!

One day, someone will be killed because an over-illuminated cabin interior will detract from the driver's vision in the night, causing an accident. Pray its not the case but....

My 2c

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:13 am

I don't buy from autobarn/supercheap auto :P

I got my pihrana bar LEDs from oznium.com, very high quality & good stuff, not that it matters, colour is colour, I understand what you mean by it being over illuminated though, I haven't got mine over the top, in the interior I simply have two of those lights under mine and the passengers footwells facing at the ground on an angle where I can't see the light directly

ImageImage

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:17 am

I guess the point was not the purchase place, but most plebicites around here drool at Supercheap and Autobarn over the pretty lights display...

Irrespective of how expensive, quality-orientated you may be, the fact remains that we have all seen those cabins which are super-illuminated at night and must agree that it is a dangerous affair....

If it makes you happy and doesn't impede with your driving Graham, then its not a problem!

Raijin
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Raijin » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Graham wrote:I'll add to this thread, not 100% sure on the 'truth' of it.

I was pulled over on Thursday ( 5 hours before double demerits started, argh!) for my "driving style". I'll explain this first so I don't look like a tool, lol.

I was following my friend who wanted to go to a petrol station (as did I) and the road had 4 lanes divided by a median strip in the middle, we were in the right lane and a car moving slow was ahead, so he overtook it without speeding and so did I, he then goes into the left lane to turn to go down the road to the servo, without thinking I also go into that lane but then remember you can't get to servo by turning so I went back into the right line fairly quickly and stopped at the light and signalled with my hand for him to come back this way, police saw this and pulled me over, gave me a warning for the driving and to be careful.

They ALSO warned me for my LED's. I usually turn them all off when I get pulled over (Unfortunately it is a regular occurence.) but I forgot to turn off the front grille LED's which are blue and when I got out of my car I didn't close it so the blue map/dome LED's were also on.

Long story short the officer explained blue/red at the front of the car are bad, gave me a warning and said that my license has been flagged and if they pull me over for this issue again they will yellow sticker me, no hesitation :(

As long as the interior lights aren't too bright for you to see and they aren't blue/red the cops should be okay with them, but just turn 'em off :)

Isnt it suss if your interior lights are on and you get pulled over and then you quickly turn them off? It's as if your already making an admission to wrongdoing haha and if your can't turn on your stock reading lights why would they make an exception to LEDs? Just abit confused over the irony.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Raijin wrote:
Graham wrote:I'll add to this thread, not 100% sure on the 'truth' of it.

Isnt it suss if your interior lights are on and you get pulled over and then you quickly turn them off? It's as if your already making an admission to wrongdoing haha and if your can't turn on your stock reading lights why would they make an exception to LEDs? Just abit confused over the irony.

Hypothetically if you had it hooked upto another switch somewhere in the car and flicked it off, the officers would ask you about it and you could very easily say "What are you talking about?".

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah, I usually turn it off and the officer never notices it, I could try the "what are you on about" card, but if they've seen it then there isn't much point lying to an officer, not all of them are stupid.

Annoying part about it is that I flicked the switch to turn my radar detector off but forgot about the grille, oops!

But when we have mods that may not be completely legal this is what happens - it's not always win/win :P

ImageImage

t0omas
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby t0omas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:09 pm

here are cheap LED's i installed on my lancer, there is a AUX switch and fuse built in, best $30 i ever spent.

http://www.ledunderbody.com/7-Color-4pc ... Kit-2.aspx

janie66
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re:

Postby janie66 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:30 pm

tadz0rz wrote:^^ Correct!

I found that the panel led lights ones are wayyyyy to bright for the interior, and is actually very distracting.

If you are after interior lights, go for the old neon tube style ones. Their a bit cheaper than the LED ones and you can usually get a pack of 2 for the price of one LED tube.

Good thing with them is that they aint too bright. There bright enough to know their there, but not so bright that its distracting.

My car has 35% tint on the front and 25% on the rear and i can bareeely see the light on the inside. Plus ive mounted mine under the seats insted of under the dash so half the time my legs are blocking the light making the light softer anway..

I really need some help here and guidance on where to start with controlling LED lights so that I can dim their lights a bit. I am seeing help on internet (or whatever else can help to accomplish this task effectively and inexpensively) . Is anyone here can help me with that.
Thanks in Advance

Return to “Lighting”