Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Avenir
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: 2008 Lancer CJ VRX - Build thread

Postby Avenir » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:19 pm

BUILD UPDATE:

She's done boys. Over the long weekend the lancer got the last of its parts before getting back onto the road. Dad and I hoisted it up, removed the entire back end of the car (in total 4 different arms each side that link the suspension together.) and tallied up the bushing count.

After some analysis we realised I was short 4 bushings (which was bound to happen, we went off of a warehouse trader page with no diagrams), but we found a home for all of the 10 bushings I did get. In short, the lancer back end suspension consists of: 1 large trailing arm that goes down to the hub, 1 upper arm (banana arm we called it), 1 small lateral arm that connects to the centre of the back end, and 1 larger lateral arm at the very back each side that hold the edge of the trailing arm, coilover and connects to the upper frame of the car.

Might sound confusing at first, but taking it all a part it really makes a lot more sense, and isn't very complex. Each arm had 2 bushes each, excluding the trailing as it only had 1 BIG bush at the top of it. So (1 + 2 + 2 + 2) * 2 is 14 bushings all up. The only ones I didn't change because I didn't have, are the longer back end lateral arm bushings. Spose they would be called lower outer and lower inner bushes, but they weren't worn much anyways.

Anyway, we did 1 half of the back at a time so we could rebuild each side with a reference... Disassembled, took all 3 arms to work, used the hydraulic press countless times and meticulously pushed each out with various bearings, cylindrical pieces of metal and anything else we could find. We ran into some shit half way through, actually a couple times. Putting the wrong size bushing into a bigger arm, (which we released it was for the tiny lateral instead) and mushrooming an old trailing arm bush ahaha. Eventually all got out, all the new polys in, took them back rebuilt 1 side and rinse and repeat with the other side.

Initially we were not going to do the big trailing arm bush as you have to take the brake lines apart, the hand brake line, caliper off, rotor off, hub off, etc. Just to bloody see what your doing. It was a lot of work for one bush, I now know how the inner workings of all my brakes etc work. Quite simple as well! Oh also we actually improved the handbrake action a LOT by disassembling it, my handbrake has VERY satisfying clicks and stages that you can feel, also goes further easier too.

Once putting it all back together and rotors/calipers back on, we then had to bleed the brake lines of air, and boy did we do that for a while. Probably an hour just doing all 4. Eventually I felt a bit of a placebo with the brakes, we stopped and they ended up being extremely responsive as we got virtually all the air possible and entirely new brake fluid by the end of it.

After that we did a cheeky oil change because why not, with a NEW OIL FILTER this time, last time we had to reuse my old one, cleaned up because I got given the wrong one... Topped off with the wheels aligned this morning, the car is GOLDEN.

It's scary how fast I can go round a roundabout or corner now, it just keeps hold of the road so much differently then it use too, and no more lifting. The car rides hard, it's not uncomfortable though. The only thing I found uncomfortable at times, is the BIG dips and ditches, because when I hit them now the suspension just drops instantly, and comes back up instantly, so it throws your head around. But medium to small sized dips etc are quite placid.

Also forgot how quick this car is then the Getz I was driving, holy balls and its not even tuned yet.

Got some very busy weekends up ahead that are not car related, so hoping I can still fit in a time to get the rest of bits and pieces sorted for it, that I have talked about in the past. Few pics below of some bushes and the front control arms with poly's from a build update ago.

What do you guys wanna see next? I haven't got many parts to go now.

Avenir

2015 NISSAN 370Z SPORT TOURING AUTO
GKTech Dual CAI
Invidia Gemini CBE

2008 LANCER VRX MANUAL
K&N Typhoon Intake + RA Snorkel
4-2-1 OBX Wrapped Extractors
2.5 MF Header Back + MF 200 Cell
TS Short Shifter
XYZ SS Coilovers + SuperPro Perf Control Arms
SuperPro Poly Bushings
Whiteline F&R Sway Bars + Link Arms

Mars1811
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mars1811 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 am

Good work Avenir! Good to hear it all went well.
Love reading through the build logs!

M
2011 VRX Sportback

Message me on Discord: Mars#0420
If in doubt, rev it out!

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Nice work. As Mars said, it's good to hear everything went (mostly) smoothly and you're back on the road again.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 pm

I want to see you get a tactrix open port and get a decent ECU tune done

Avenir
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Avenir » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 pm

@Mars - Thanks mate!! Me too, It's been too long. Love to entertain as always.

@Viking - Thanks heaps! I think its never a truly educating experience without a few bumps on the road. At this present moment I just have to drive fairly sensibly as I still have no ASC. Which is a combination of Anti-lock braking system, Traction control function and Skid control function according to the manual lol.

@bumble - Yes all in due time, I have to get the exhaust fixed up and high flow cat etc. Then do it. I emailed Merlin last night but I haven't got a response back so I guess I'll just wait it out until he gets back to me.
GKTech Dual CAI
Invidia Gemini CBE

2008 LANCER VRX MANUAL
TS Short Shifter
SuperPro Poly Bushings

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:01 pm

well, while waiting for merlin, if your real serious about tuning, install a Wideband sensor, something along the lines of an AEM 30-4110 kit

awood
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby awood » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:26 pm

Great work mate , always good to tinker on the old girl and make her feel better on the road.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Good on you for using Tinder bro glad it works for ya

Avenir
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Avenir » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:06 am

@bumble - hahaha maybe... See how I go. Brother might have some around from his 4AGE corolla. Also don't think anyone said the word Tinder bumble?

@awood - Thanks mate! Exactly it, I would highly recommend putting some money into suspension hardware. It's well worth it and it makes your car really safe to drive too :)
GKTech Dual CAI
Invidia Gemini CBE

2008 LANCER VRX MANUAL
TS Short Shifter
SuperPro Poly Bushings

Avenir
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Avenir » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:41 am

Quick update lads:

Door + Spoiler Fix:
Car is with a work mate currently getting a whole new door replacement and respray etc. I am keen to see it as this bloke never cuts corners and is going to replace everything as it was. He wouldn't even spray the door until he had my car so he could blend it properly. I should get it tomorrow arvo, as right now I have been without the lancer for about 2 days. Along with that he will be doing the respray of the Evo x spoiler I got and he may end up installing it for me. I'll be spraying all the top, and sides then the underside left as matte black.

Laundry list of fixes:
These are fixes that I need to do probably before new parts. They are quite random and somewhat insignificant.

- I have no ASC at the moment, so no Trac control, Skid control or ABS. It states it needs servicing, which it could range from a number of areas. Was before lowering etc. I have checked ABS lines and they look fine. Might be a Mitsu job.

- RWR camber bolt is fucked, it has like this small cam lobe looking metal piece which when turned can adjust the cars caster etc. That one in particular is not doing that so its gotta be replaced.

- 2.5 inch exhaust extension from cat back to the extractors, along with high flow cat converter and all the O2 fittings along with. As right now it is : Semi open HiFlow Extractors -> restricted stock piping -> restricted stock CAT -> restricted stock piping again -> 2.5inch Cat Back. Hopefully this touch up in piping will make it a bit louder. Oh also..... it occasionally rattles quite loudly when cold. I gotta find out what its touching and make better clearance next time its hoisted.

- Radio Brake light fix. Hear me out this is a new one. I noticed a bit ago that whenever I push the brake pedal my radio goes static instantly after/during. I never noticed for a while because I barely use the radio and the car was hoisted for 2 months. I believe it has happened since the tail light install. They are a higher electrical requirement then the stock. It doesn't matter if the car is off or on, AM/FM, if the park lights are on or normal lights, or even if the handbrake is used (as its a steel cable). So I am thinking It has to do with the big resistor that is needed in-between the VLAND taillights that connects them together. (Long story short, it pulls all the power from left side, then feeds it to the right side, I believe for sequential indicators and maybe brake light). I studied Physics in school and no doubt thought straight away that its EMI. So I am going to look into the wiring and possibly grabbing a few Ferrite cores to help. Obviously the new cords are poorly EMI shielded. Failing this I will get an autoelec to suss it out.

- Merlin tune when I can :)

You could say the lancer is in a bit of disarray at the moment. You could also say it is definitely one of the unique lancers compared to others hahaha.

Although I had another look into headunits again and I am feeling a bit more confident to maybe do the undertaking. See how I go.

Long live the lancer,
Avenir
GKTech Dual CAI
Invidia Gemini CBE

2008 LANCER VRX MANUAL
TS Short Shifter
SuperPro Poly Bushings

awood
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby awood » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Sounds like you need a new ASC control module. Quite a few threads in here somewhere talking about some earlier ones failing.
I don't think resistors "pull power" as such? I could be wrong though.
Also , a lot of people had trouble with there ASC units after installing aftermarket LED tail lights and not adding resistors. Apparently it messed with the electrical signal in the unit.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:59 pm

There is a fault.with some of the CJ lancers with the ABS controller
Not all years are effected

https://injectronics.com.au/resources/b ... ing-light/

http://ishop.cooldrive.com.au/tech-tips ... abs-faults

Hope this helps

Having said that ASC could be damn near anything
If you don't edit the ECU and shove a bigger throttle body on you will get this also
Same with the wheel sensors they will give this fault as well

awood
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby awood » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:54 pm

[quote="bumblebee"]
If you don't edit the ECU and shove a bigger throttle body on you will get this also.

What are you talking about here?

Ave' , any updates or good news?

Avenir
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Avenir » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:26 pm

I think he is referring to changing the throttle body to a larger one usually used by the 4g63 or even the outlander I think. Which might make sense, because the ECU seems to turn off the ASC over literally anything. I didn't have my MAF plugged into power a while back (accident) and I had no Active stability control until I plugged it back in... fucking stupid.

Well. I was tossing up whether to let you guys know. Good news first:

- Door is on, fully resprayed, mostly blended and the extras like weather shield are on. The car is now back to its former glory lol. I'll get photos another day when its clean and with the big wing on the back lol.

- I have heard nothing from Merlin still. Thought by now I might have gotten at least an email back but all good. Just chillen for now. I've got to get some cash and then time the exhaust and tune together. Then performance parts are pretty much done. Nothing more left unless I do stuff to the motor directly, or performance parts that are handling oriented (which I have a few of those left still like sway bars). BUT I am definitely upgrading my head unit. I am done with RC AUX cables that cut out all the time, its a nightmare. I want Android Auto.

Now the shit news:

- Look its a long story, I won't give all the details, but I pretty much coped a full 5 demerit points about a month ago, I was mid conversation and driving down a big hill in my ex partners car, and to my mistake I was speeding in a 60 zone. An undercover was there and got me. I am a Green P plater and didn't have P plates as I was driving her car and was going to get some from a fuel station down the road near Kilmore. never drove my car without them and never had any other infringements. She also has a chronic illness so wasn't able to drive. Copper said to my face he didn't give two shits and hit me with the 2 infringements - $500 and pretty much my license.

Yes yes, I tried to appeal the p plates argument, I wrote a nice letter and unfortunately I found yesterday that I was unsuccessful. I never intended to break the law, especially since I just got my car back now (also this happened when my car was hoisted back home), but nevertheless life has many lessons. This actually instigated the break up with my partner as well in the same day. Which was.... heavy too. So I will be getting mail sooner or later saying that I am to suspend my license for 3 months or do the golden point for 1 year. I was so close to full license in September too.. aw well.

Oh also I have the spoiler all finished too. The top half is painted very neatly and has the two tone look of grey and black. I think I have to drill holes in my boot to fit it though? As VRX's don't have the EVO spoiler holes drilled.

Never thought my build thread would be such a rollercoaster, but it keeps me focused I spose..

Avenir.
GKTech Dual CAI
Invidia Gemini CBE

2008 LANCER VRX MANUAL
TS Short Shifter
SuperPro Poly Bushings

awood
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby awood » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Not good old son , shit circumstances added up to a disaster.
Live and learn I guess?
Good news on the other things , though there a bit unimportant now.

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”