***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Warning Beeps ?

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Warning Beeps ?

Postby Dungogvolts » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:12 am

In the last two weeks my 2011 CJ Lancer (only has 41600k's on it) has been making beeping sounds when driving. Today I think I worked out when they happen.
It seems that when I reach 80kph I get 2 sometimes 3 beeps then no more until after I turn the car off and then start over.
I have taken everything off the passenger seat I make sure my seatbelt is locked in properly I pushed in the passenger belt and released it thinking it needed resetting but no still beeped.
I don't have any GPS as I use Apple Car Play and it was/is not hooked up so no warning speed alerts there.
I do drive with the cruse control always on so I can just push the set button to engage cruse control but have done that for 8 years and not had any trouble before.
I have not seen any warning lights on the dash and cycle through the menu (between the speedo ect) every time I hear the beeps but have not seen a thing that looks wrong.
Any ideas would be great its starting to drive me nuts.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Warning Beeps ?

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:25 am

I was told there is a ECU setting where they can be set to beep at a set speed but I think this was over 100kph.

What instrument cluster does your 2011 have, red or colour between the speedo and rev counter?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:41 am

Its the red between the speedo and rev counter. I have cycled through that each time but nothing amiss.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Got an OBD2 tool to check for anything unusual?

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:44 pm

No unfortunately. I do remember the dealer offered a couple of years ago, when I though I had a problem, to check the diagnostics for $90 I said no. If all else fails I will buy one.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:48 pm

I highly recommend these guys
https://www.obdlink.com/

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:14 am

To explain I am 64 not very up with it like you young ones but will to give it a go.....
I have tried the search section in the site but I cant see anything I never have any luck with the search here.

OK I have purchased a ELM327 WIFI OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner Scan Tool and I have a good idea where the OBDII port is but how do I get at it? I have had a look under the dash where is should be but I cant see it.
So do I need to remove any trim and if so are there any videos or photos to show me how?
Also do I just plug it in and then connect my iPhone or iPad, I have downloaded an app BlueDriver, its free, to both, and hopefully just read the codes to see if anything is wrong? Next how do I fix the problem if I get one that identifies what the beeping is?
Many thanks in advance.

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:29 am

Hiya,

The OBD port is in the driver's footwell. Draw a line straight back and up from the accelerator pedal. Where the line hits the lower edge of the plastic trim (about where your knee / shin goes) is where the port is. Have a feel around with your fingers and you'll find a rectangular hole about 5cm wide and 2cm deep, that should be it. Just be wary not to kick the OBD module when you're getting in and out of the car. I've done that a few times. :-(

As for the software, I can't help I'm afraid. If it helps, I had to pair the OBD reader / module with my Android phone via BlueTooth first, then tell Torque which device / communication method to use. I expect your situation would be similar.

Cheers,
V

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:17 am

Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks guys found it yes it looks very easy.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:03 pm

Excellent team work guys :-)
Go Us!!

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:12 am

Update... I am still waiting on the Diagnostic Scanner I purchased but have done a little detective work.
The beeping is still happening but it seems to only happen when I get over 80kph with or without cruse control on or off.
I don't have any GPS, I use Apple Car but don't have my phone connected, so its not a speed alert for that. And as mentioned earlier no warning alert appears in the dash instrument cluster its just an annoying beep most times 3 sometimes 5 times.
I have just called my local service dept thinking they might have some idea but no "never heard of that before" so $250 for them to check the Diagnostics and if it is not showing up on the instrument cluster their Diagnostic Scanner might not even pick it up.....F**K where does that leave me?????
So was thinking is there any info on warning sounds ect in any other book except the drivers manual I have read that cover to cover and nothing.
Thanks again.
Just sent off an inquiry to Head Office will wait and see if I get a reply.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:36 am

Interesting
Sounds like a speed warning alarm
There is a speed warning alarm you can enable in the ETACS box
However
It only goes off at 120 Kmph
And I'm yet to see it be moved to less then that
Having said that
With the engine running
And handbrake on
Press the info button on the instrument cluster
There is a setting menu in there
Go into it and check if any alarms are set for speed or for coffee breaks
It mentions it in the owner manual

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am

I was thinking it could be a faulty Sensor in the passenger seat that detects weight and no seat belt on
If you put a 3 litre bottle of milk on the seat and drive it beeps but it shows a warning on the instrument cluster.

Mmm
I'm betting something very simple is the cause

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks forgot about that menu but alas no speed warning setup in there.
The passenger seat is empty all the time and when I go up my driveway without my seatbelt on yes I get the warning "chime" and visual in the cluster but this beeping sounds like it is coming from behind where the radio was, now my Kenwood display screen is.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”