***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Replacement MMCS touch screen

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Replacement MMCS touch screen

Postby dopey » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:56 am

hey all, I picked up this rather sad MMCS unit yesterday from the wreckers. Unfortunately it has a smashed screen :?

on closer inspection it looks like only the touch screen is broken, the LCD panel underneath looks ok. so I take it up to the counter and they practically gave it to me cause it was smashed! Yes I did get the GPS antenna as well.

anyways I've started pulling it apart to find out if I can just replace the touch screen. sure enough after disassembly the LCD is perfect!

so I measure it up (165mm x 92 mm 4 wire) and jump on Ali Express. look what I found!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970954295.html

on closer inspection under specifications it says 165x92 ! it has to be it! I can see the wires are slightly off but there's enough slack to make it work fingers crossed!

hopefully it will get here in a few weeks so I can update this thread if i'm successful or not. for $15 it's no big loss if it doesn't work. the unit does power up and the LCD works!

thanks all for the read! :D

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: Replacement MMCS touch screen

Postby bumblebee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Dam good info here
Thanks for sharing
I have fixed a few touch screen device over the years with parts from Ali express
No header units though , but GPS and the likes
Got them all fixed and working like a treat for next to nothing

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Interested to see how this turns out. Keep us informed
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:38 pm

thanks for all the interest, i'll definitely update this thread once I get the part in a few weeks.

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 pm

okily dokily back on track with the new digitizer waiting for me when I got home today!

Digitizer was a perfect fit! It even had the adhesive border so all I had to do was peel and stick it to the LCD! So far so good!

Next issue was the ribbon cable not being in the right area. But it had a lot of extra length so I gently folded it into place. I put a bit of tape around the metal frame so it won't chafe and cut through the cable. Which would be very bad!

As you can see I managed to get it into the right spot. Connected it up and locked it down!

put it all back together and fired it up with fingers crossed. operation big success! worked like a treat! :D

touch was spot on! so there you have it, if you have a MMCS unit where the touch isn't responding or worse, a cracked digitizer you can fix it yourself for around $15. not too shabby!

Just make sure you take your time disassembling the unit. You don't have to disassemble the whole unit, the face does detach from the unit but be very careful not to strain the ribbon cable. also make sure when you connect the ribbon cables back they go in square. if they don't you risk shorting out something and then the MMCS will be well and truly stuffed.

Best of luck to ya all! :D

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Ah ha!
Very well done

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Nice work!
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks all for the positive replies, I hope this saves people from turfing out good units which can be repaired cheaply and easily!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 am

It would be good is more people and workshops did this instead of just getting a whole new unit.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 am

It boils back down to time and $
With labour charges so high and genuine parts the same , it's makes smart business sense not to waste to much time if any on it.
We have very much become a throw away society.
When you run your own business in the customer service division cod repairing goods, you will rapidly release this

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:08 pm

If you're fixing someone else's parts then as bumblebee says its easier just to swap with a new unit, if there's any issues then they just give you another one.

but if ya wanna save money and give it a go then this is what forums are all about!

Jonhart608@gmail
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re: Replacement MMCS touch screen MZ360435EX I'll pay someone to do this

Postby Jonhart608@gmail » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:13 am

dopey wrote:Post a reply
dopey wrote:hey all, I picked up this rather sad MMCS unit yesterday from the wreckers. Unfortunately it has a smashed screen :?

on closer inspection it looks like only the touch screen is broken, the LCD panel underneath looks ok. so I take it up to the counter and they practically gave it to me cause it was smashed! Yes I did get the GPS antenna as well.

anyways I've started pulling it apart to find out if I can just replace the touch screen. sure enough after disassembly the LCD is perfect!

so I measure it up (165mm x 92 mm 4 wire) and jump on Ali Express. look what I found!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970954295.html

on closer inspection under specifications it says 165x92 ! it has to be it! I can see the wires are slightly off but there's enough slack to make it work fingers crossed!

hopefully it will get here in a few weeks so I can update this thread if i'm successful or not. for $15 it's no big loss if it doesn't work. the unit does power up and the LCD works!

thanks all for the read! :D

mrlancealot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mrlancealot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 am

Good job. Always good to see something ready to be thrown out being brought back to life.

I've fixed quite a few mobile phone digitizers. They're usable but not always perfect. Maybe it's the connectors or maybe because the OEM models have some special instructions. I dunno.

Even if this achieves 90% success of the old digitizer it's still a big win.
08 CJ Lancer ES, VR booty, VRX wheels
* Adj Strut Bar
* K&N Air Panel filter

Return to “Electrical”