Brake Rotor/Pads Recommendations?

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Brake Rotor/Pads Recommendations?

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Nothing wrong with OEM rubber hoses.I still use rubber hoses on the rally car,they are are bit more durable than braided hoses.As for pedal feel the difference is minimal.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:48 pm

I didn't say braided brake lines are just for track use, I was just trying to say I have no plans to do a track day and can't afford them right now, so unless they need replacing the factory ones will do for now. If the genuine factor stock ones were not up to the job of daily driving then Mitsubishi would have used something better.

If I was going all out I'd get the used EVO X callipers you can get for $1300 online and EVO rotors and pads but I don't need them and can't afford them. I just want something that will work, won't cost a fortune and will work on my daily drive. It would also be nice to put in a LSD and so many other improvement but they are simply not needed and I can't afford them right now.

I just want slotted stock size VRX rotors for now.

Spoke to a mechanic today, they will fit parts I supply as they can't get them cheaper. He said 2 hours for the work, didn't quote a price per hour. Plus costs for brake flush if needed, still need to go through my records to see if it was done last service.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Braided lines will be nice when I've got the cash, but since I'm not planning to take the CJ to a track it can wait..

I went hunting and I bought some of these

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... Ze,5kN,Qk1

Can't wait for them

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:52 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:Nothing wrong with OEM rubber hoses.I still use rubber hoses on the rally car,they are are bit more durable than braided hoses.As for pedal feel the difference is minimal.

Sorry
I beg to differ
The stock rubber hoses are total crapola on the lancer and the difference between the stock rubber rubbish and braided lines is chalk and cheese

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Spoke to a mechanic today, they will fit parts I supply as they can't get them cheaper. He said 2 hours for the work, didn't quote a price per hour. Plus costs for brake flush if needed, still need to go through my records to see if it was done last service.

This is why accident happen

Cos people try and skimp out on work that needs to be done

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm reading lots of aggression from your comments bumblebee, but could just be me? Slotted rotors on a street car are going to be mostly for look and the knowledge that you have new, good quality rotors in, I don't see any reason why it should be a pre-requisite to put in braided lines and RA calipers first?

Craig, I installed rotors and pads in my VRX myself, and I'd say 2 hours work from the mechanic seems about fair. I don't doubt they could get it done in an hour or so on a hoist but considering you are providing parts they obviously lose a bit of profit margin there so I wouldn't stress too much about trying to get them down further. When I installed my rotors, the hardest part was just getting the old rotors off haha.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 pm

No aggression , just simply disagreement

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Skrallex wrote:When I installed my rotors, the hardest part was just getting the old rotors off haha.

Take a look at the centre of the rotor
With a bit of luck you should see two small round threaded holes big enough to screw a bolt in to it :wink:

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:35 pm

bumblebee wrote:
lancerdarryl wrote:Nothing wrong with OEM rubber hoses.I still use rubber hoses on the rally car,they are are bit more durable than braided hoses.As for pedal feel the difference is minimal.

Sorry
I beg to differ
The stock rubber hoses are total crapola on the lancer and the difference between the stock rubber rubbish and braided lines is chalk and cheese

As I said there is nothing wrong with rubber hoses.I've been building competition cars since the mid 70's so give me a little credit that I know what I am speaking about.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:
bumblebee wrote:

Sorry
I beg to differ

As I said there is nothing wrong with rubber hoses.I've been building competition cars since the mid 70's so give me a little credit that I know what I am speaking about.

Happy to hand over credit
Your not the only person who has ever set foot on a race track either , I too have been there and done that too
Having said that
I still absolutely stand by what I said
If your have braided brake lines that don't feel any better then rubber hoses ,then something is seriously wrong.
Decent braided lines will absolutely stand hards and shoulders above rubber rubbish hoses any day

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Rubber hammer around the edges of the rotor also helps, loosen s*** that makes it stuck. I haven't been in it as long as Darryl, but I've been around a few fast cars, varying degrees of modification from MCM stuff to show cars, and only a few of them made the change to braided lines whether it be bling or plain hydraulic style, a good flush and better brake fluid usually is enough. It's less to do with the lines and the delivery, but the temperature it reaches under sustained and continuous braking. Brake fade is caused by boiling the brake fluid.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:15 am

Don't forget , rubber brake hoses expand under pressure.

No need.fkr the rubber mallet

Like I said , look at the centre of the rotor , you should find two holes that are threaded, find a bolt that fits and tighten it up , watch what happens. The rotor pops straight off

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Cool
New forum sponsor

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:45 pm

I like those yellow braided lines :)

Still tossing up between the Vmax with J slots (just like on the AU Supercar series run) or the DBA T2.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:05 pm

vmaxbrakes wrote:Well I would recommend using vmax rotors and brake pads. VMAX Brakes is an Australian owned company dedicated to distributing the highest quality aftermarket brake products nationally. you can check out their products at their online store https://www.vmaxbrakes.com.au/

That all well and good but do you offer periodic online discounts and free shipping?

Return to “Brakes”