2008 Galant Fortis

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

FlyingWombat
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

2008 Galant Fortis

Postby FlyingWombat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 pm

I've just bought a 2008 Galant Fortis Super Exceed ナビ, freshly imported from Japan.

It's got 106,000km, CVT, partial leather interior, and the MMCS that talks to me in a very sweet Japanese voice. Unfortunately the radio band is Japanese, so I will need a band expander, and the phone connection isn't bluetooth, but a cable - a cable that I can't seem to find yet.

The GPS is convinced that my house is located at Kansai International Airport, which is rather amusing.

As yet I haven't had a good enough think to decide my plans for the car, but I will keep everyone updated with all the modifications and changes I come up with.

Last edited by FlyingWombat on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: 2008 Galant Fortis

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:20 am

Interesting trim colour. I’ve only seen black in our Aussie versions
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 am

Tidy car man, looks like it would be on par with Platinum, VR, or Activ spec Lancer.

The hard drive MMCS, apparently the Americans have hacked theirs, plenty of info on US Lancer forums.

The Aussies scored the DVD based ones, like mine in my ride thread, and later the SD card version. You should be able to find firmware and maps to flash that to NZ and English, not so sure about the bluetooth as that is built into the MMCS usually. The Radio may be tied up in the firmware, or it could be separate and the band expander is an obvious stop gap.

In my VR-X the Auxiliary cable plugs in under the A/C controls, the centre console, or in the glove box next to the MMCS there could be a little flap to pop open and the cable could be in there. it may also have been removed/tucked away before leaving Japan, or as it arrived in NZ.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

FlyingWombat
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby FlyingWombat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 am

Yup, the Aux inputs, RCA Red/White/Yellow plugs are behind a flap below the A/C controls. But just those - I can't yet find the mobile phone connector cable. From the user manual for the MMCS it seems to show a standard Japanese DoCoMo phone connector plug, so converting that to a Lightning plug will be a seperate task, but only once I've actually found the cable itself.

I'm assuming Bluetooth connectivity will be a non-starter, since the hardware won't be installed, and connecting a bluetooth dongle to the phone cable might end up being electronically difficult. But that's not the end of the world, and a BlueAnt or something else is always an option for the phone.

I'm liking the idea of copying a heap of music across to the hard drive - may need an upgraded drive, depending on the capacity of what's in it, but given its from 2008, I'm not expecting huge.

What I also have with the car is the Owners Handbook, the MMCS user manual, and even the original service history.
The service history, though, only goes up to the first three services, ending on 18th December 2009, with 21,640km.

Three recalls were carried out, one on the accessory drive pulleys, one on the ECU software to prevent carbon buildup on the throttle during idle, and one to ensure the indicator stalk switches were securely attached.

I've discovered it's a "Super Exceed Navi" version as far as trim levels go, which apparently is FWD, despite CarJam being convinced it's 4WD. I'll jack up the back later today and have a look at the drivetrain to confirm for sure.

aussietdm
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby aussietdm » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:44 pm

I believe that the "Bluetooth" is a separate module to the MCCS as when I changed my 2016 CF standard touchscreen to a 2015 MMCS it had retained the Bluetooth pairing/ phone book etc, to my phone without doing anything else.

FlyingWombat
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby FlyingWombat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Ooh, that is good to know. Wonder if the module can be installed on a 2008?

aussietdm
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby aussietdm » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Pretty sure they were an optional extra so if you can locate where they are mounted the wreckers should have some.

aussietdm
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby aussietdm » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:12 pm

FlyingWombat
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby FlyingWombat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Awesome, thanks!

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 am

In the 08 models it is up above the glove box on the back of the dash (probably the same for all of them really), mine in the VR-X died. It paired once and that was the last time it worked, then when I got my Gen 1 MMCS I had bluetooth again, but the MMCS doesn't allow you to use the voice functions for the phone, only maps. Looking at an EPC for the S/Exceed Navi-PKG the bluetooth wasn't fitted as a separate box, see below.
(can't look it up unless you can find the original VIN of the vehicle, already tried with the 7A VIN off carjam)
Do you still have the three buttons like these down on the steering wheel under the radio controls?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

FlyingWombat
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby FlyingWombat » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Well this is sounding promising. There is no "original" VIN, but ASA should be able to find it by the Chassis number.

I do have those three buttons under the steering wheel. The phone On-Hook and Off-Hook buttons don't do anything yet, because the car is probably well aware no phone is connected. The Voice control button works perfectly well, and that's a pretty cool feature.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Is your MMCS manual in english? I have a downloaded english version for the dvd unit, it could help if you don't, as it may have some shared functions with the HDD unit, being a similar vintage I would imagine it would. I know your unit will be in Japanese, but when you press the menu button do you get a screen that looks like this?
Maybe screen shots could walk you through trying different functions?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:48 pm

FlyingWombat wrote:Well this is sounding promising. There is no "original" VIN, but ASA should be able to find it by the Chassis number.

didn't think of that, what is the frame number? CY4 something something...usually :mrgreen:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

FlyingWombat
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby FlyingWombat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:32 pm

The Chassis is CY4A-0108446.

My MMCS looks pretty similar- the same menu buttons are there but without the pretty icons yours shows. I'll see if I can find out the software version I have.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 am

FlyingWombat wrote:The Chassis is CY4A-0108446.

My MMCS looks pretty similar- the same menu buttons are there but without the pretty icons yours shows. I'll see if I can find out the software version I have.

Chassis code worked =)

Check out this thread and see if the way to get into the service menus works for you. Or this Vid by navi solutions in NZ has a method that may work Linky Link. You may be able to use Google to decipher the buttons/options, take a photo with camera, jump into Google photos and use Lens to translate the Japanese on the screen, it's not 100% all the time, but close enough is good enough right?? (unless you own an iPhone, then I have no idea sorry)

There is a video of a Russian dude playing with a J-03 unit, in Russian, and I know I can change my language somewhere in the system menus, but when coming from Japanese it don't help much :lol:

Also found this vid about changing the centre dash from Jap to Eng https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7nK3J-WGLk which I imagine would have already been done?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”