Brake Rotor/Pads Recommendations?

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Brake Rotor/Pads Recommendations?

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Right my VRX will need new brake pads in the near future, last service said they were down to 5mm.

So I was looking at options and maybe changing the rotors to something drilled, slotted or dimpled to add a bit of style.

So first off, whats the cost for a stock set of pad, front and rear?
Best brands without breaking the bank for pads and rotors?
Is it worth getting them on eBay?

And how easy is the work?
Background - Years ago I did a front brake upgrade on my CC coupe, swapped the rotors pads and calipers with those from a M21, clearly doing a rotor/pad change should be easier. But a little worried getting the new pads back on with the pistons out too far?

Also with slots/drilled will the pads wear quicker or does it depend on the pads used?
Will the ABS be an issue?

Any advice on brands and where to buy they would be appreciated.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Brake Rotor/Pads Recommendations?

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:08 pm

We use DBA or RDA rotors and bendix pads when replacing brakes on our customers cars.The cheaper rotors have a tendency to warp if you give them a hard time. Bendix pads are priced competitively and are long lasting and reasonably dust free.TRW and Bosch pads produce heaps of brake dust so you are forever cleaning your wheels.As for slotted/drilled rotors on a road car there is no great advantage in using them over a plain rotor.Slotted rotors can be noisier than plain rotors.I have found slotted rotors do wear a little more than a plain rotor.Having said that a nice set of slotted/drilled rotors does look good.
Again on a road car there is no need to go past a "heavy duty " compound of pads.The harder the pad the more pressure you need to put on the brake pedal to stop.Once you get into high performance pads the price goes up. They also tend to be noisier in operation.My neighbor has a Evo 6 with super-dooper track pads and I can hear him coming home every night the squeal is horrendous.
As for where to buy them we have seen recently the problems people have been having getting the wrong parts from on-line companies so be mindful of that especially since you have a VRX.Hope this is of some help.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:17 pm

I looked on Supercheap Auto, put in my car specs and it came up a list but it excluded the 2.4Lt VRX, checked it and I put in everything right but again the 2009 VRX with 2.4 was excluded even though the page said 'Parts for your car'. LOL

Yes lots of help and I will make sure the parts are the right ones for the VRX. Have seen DBA and RDA online and yes the slotted/drilled will be for looks, not gonna go genuine, but will call Mitsubishi to get a price and have a good laugh. I don't think the rotors need doing but why not if I can get the parts for $500 and DIY the install. Did watch some YouTube clips and remembering how easy it is.

rasit.aslim
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby rasit.aslim » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:49 pm

2017 Lancer ES CF Sport

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:07 pm

Cool, thanks.

BTW are the rears vented or its just the picture used?

fearfulmaster2
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fearfulmaster2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:00 pm

If u r going to buy from sparesbox, plan ahead and wait for the 20% off. Also add an oil filter to the order as it is free delivery for orders over $50. BTW, they have 20% off this long weekend till Tue.
Last edited by fearfulmaster2 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Not ready to buy yet but will keep that in mind.

How often do they have the 20% off sales?

It will be well over $50 and don't need an oil filter as I'm locked into a service agreement for the next few years. Don't do enough kays to warrant an additional oil change between services.

fearfulmaster2
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fearfulmaster2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:01 pm

They usually have 20% off at click frenzy which will be on Nov 13. Other than that, rough guess is around 4 times a year. You can subscribe to their emails and keep track. They have the ryco in tank fuel filter for $86 which is a big difference to OEM. Even cheaper with 20% off.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 am

Given my fuel filter was just done this week at its service I won't be needing one for a while. And with the service it does feel a bit more responsive.

I'll sign up and keep an eye on them, my current plan is to buy the parts as I can afford them then DIY the install.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Has anyone used the J Type slotted discs?

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:08 pm

This... I’ve got bendix HDs and tbh I will never run them again.. yeah they work but they do not feel like a nice catching type work, they require so much more push and they don’t have a sudden snag point, but they do a great job when I’m breaking hard and fast a lot.

I’ve also got DBA slotted rotors, they look gorgeous lmao
We are all in it for the fun!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Had to stop suddenly today in the wet, less than 50kph but it was the first time in a long time the ABS has kicked in, that and the RE003s really worked for me today. Some idiot was trying to pass me where their lane was ending in a school zone, after 9am so I wasn't speeding.

Why do Landrover 'sport' drivers think they own the roads? Blasted the idiot with my nice loud horn LOL, she backed off!

Like I said I don't need better brakes as such but I don't want to get something that looks good only for them not to work as good as the stock ones.

I like the J Type slots and apparently those in the know say thats what proper racing cars have, they use them in the Supercar series if you saw the brake changes during the pit stops at Bathurst. Drilling looks cool but apparently doesn't work and actually makes the disc weaker and prone to failure.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Damn, unrelated, can you comment how good the RE003s are?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Done about 14k on them now, including about 10k road trip interstate. Predictable is a good description.

Had Kumho tyres before and I think these are just better. Braking is great avoided hitting an Emu near Broken Hill. I think they are quieter and handles better. Not pushed them to the limit but the other day on a big roundabout (in the wet) when doing a right turn they didn't feel like loosing it, even on the change of direction when you exit. When in SA I even went on some dirt roads and it was good on them.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:30 am

Hahah damn, I went wth atr sports 2 but they feel so solid and the traction is honestly a let down when pushing them.. I was thinking of RE003 for the future, people on Aus CJ say they’re waste of money but the reviews say otherwise.. hmm

Return to “Brakes”