***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

looking at buying

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

waxedmerkin
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

looking at buying

Postby waxedmerkin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Im just window shopping at the moment, and just wondering about general issues, and other things to look for when buying.

Whilst i can drive a manual it will be a daily driver, and with my back issues it will need to be a auto

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: looking at buying

Postby ReeceCozaa » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Only things I’d say are an issue with the lancers are generally thin paint, so rocks and chips easily damage paint other then that these cars are pretty bullet proof.. the only thing I’d say about the auto is it’s a little slow on launch and has acceleration lag(sorta) other then that it’s a comfortable transmission and the car it’s self is like I sai pretty bulletproof, good engines and tranny!
We are all in it for the fun!

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:49 pm

ReeceCozaa wrote:Only things I’d say are an issue with the lancers are generally thin paint, so rocks and chips easily damage paint other then that these cars are pretty bullet proof.. the only thing I’d say about the auto is it’s a little slow on launch and has acceleration lag(sorta) other then that it’s a comfortable transmission and the car it’s self is like I sai pretty bulletproof, good engines and tranny!

"Slow on launch and has acceleration lag" i Easily overcome Just stick an RA snorkel on and enjoy a pleasant surprise.
The existing snorkel is that restrictive. Oh and while not essential opening up the front panel in front of the snorkel
is worth doing there is a heap of info in the forums here. New $175 and it pops straight on. and is better then
many of the pod filters :D

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:58 pm

I’m glad it was solved for you! I’ve got an RA snorkel and although it improved it was far from fixed versus a manuals snappiness :( I fear that’s just how CVTs are
We are all in it for the fun!

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:09 am

The slow launch thing is eliminated with a good tune.
Lancers dont need much modding to wake them up.
Which, when I think about it, has always been the case with Mitsi engines right back to the 1400 Saturn engine vintage 1972.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:13 am

I still don't get this belief if its a daily drive in traffic then get an auto, why compromise your ride unless you can't drive a manual?

I've driven in traffic load of times (not every day) and have no issues with my manual CJ. When I get to a long light I drop it out of gear, put the hand brake on an wait. Unless you're the first line in the cue then it takes no time to get back into gear when the lights change.

JMHO
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

mrlancealot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mrlancealot » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:57 am

@Lancer1993 Depends what sort of traffic. The sort of traffic that would drive you mad when driving a manual is start-stop traffic.

For example, there's a 8km route near my place (Sydney) in the morning that takes 30 minutes to travel by car. Lots of start stop. I can probably do that once in a while but I can't do that every working day.

On top of that, if you have kids, it's not manageable.

I love the manual but I wouldn't go back to it unless it was a weekend car.

If I was living somewhere less densely populated it might be a different matter.
08 CJ Lancer ES, VR booty, VRX wheels
* Adj Strut Bar
* K&N Air Panel filter

Benif
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Benif » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 pm

One main rule that I always stick to when window shopping. I should always test the car before I dare to think about buying it. As an example before buying my Lancer I tried it like a rented car at Enterprise car rental DCA Served me quite well for the day and after I was certain that this baby was for me. Now it's been 1 year since I purchased the car and I have no regrets.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:32 am

@mrlancealot - I don't mind stop start traffic but I get how tiring it can get doing that type of driving every day.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Oldman1986
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Oldman1986 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:03 am

Hello, I can share my practice, before buying a car, I study it on the Internet, then go to the salon, try a new one for a test drive, watch reviews and before my decision I take a week, and maybe more, for example, on account of the evolution , I googled ADL car rental Australia, then read the reviews and features, I found (https://14cars.com/car-rental/australia ... t-adl-avis) there too, and I picked up the Evo and when 2 weeks go and find out what problems . sores and maybe it's not worth it.
Hello! Ask me something!

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”