***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Reversing Camera for 2009 VR

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

MattP
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Reversing Camera for 2009 VR

Postby MattP » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone installed a reversing camera in their Lancer?
If so could you post some info on this ie brand, cost etc.
Been thinking about installing sensors but have been told camera is better. What is the general thought considering wife may also prefer camera. We have been coping so far but such item would definitely help during reverse parking especially in tight situations.
Thanks

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Reversing Camera for 2009 VR

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

This largely depends on the head unit in your CJ, some models had a screen built into the reveres mirror but if you don't have a camera in you CJ then its probably not the case.

First I'd investigate what head unit you might want, there are lots of choice out there and they often come with a rear camera option.

Yes camera's are great but take it from me, always check you surroundings or this might happen... even with a camera.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 pm

I have both but prefer the reverse sensors. The camera relies on you to look at it where the sensors beep

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 am

How big of an obstacle do the sensors see, in my case would they have seen the star picket post?

Not that I saw it in the camera with the rising sun coming directly behind the car LOL

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:39 am

POssibly could have as the sensors are like echo location and send out a wave that bounces back so anything within the field of the sensors pulse would have been picked up, unless it was too low or too close between the sensors.
you could put more sensors across the rear of the car, but when 4 is sufficient why would you?
next time you're following a merc with rear blind spot warning in the mirrors, look at how close you can get before the sensor turns the light in the mirror on. it is usually controlled by the sensor in the rear of the rear wheel arch. or facing out sideways from the rear bumper.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:12 am

i installed one that came with my head unit. pretty simple, only pain was running the cable from the back to the front but love how much room the lancer has and places to fit the cable through especially along the doors. i put mine dead set in the middle of the number plate, i just drilled a hole in that little plastic part of between the plate lights and fixed it to that (its the OCD in me that needed into the middle)
i rely on the sensor most of the time but if i need to get real close, like in a tight squeeze car park, the camera comes in handy. once you get use to how close you really are its real handy.
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Minimalistix
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Minimalistix » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 am

I just purchased this one from eBay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263403488316 but have not received it yet.

I am hoping to install it in my Lancer using the factory loom and inputs on the back of the RF MMCS.

If i can get it working ill post pictures.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 pm

With the mmcs you need the factory wiring loom and camera

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Mine if the type that replaces one of the number plate lights, nice stealthy and works good even being slightly off centre.

My VRX has all the wiring n place for the sensors but Mitsy wants around $500 for the rest of the kit, to make it work. not worth it IMHO.

Return to “Maintenance”