***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Emergency Services Slow to 40 rule

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Emergency Services Slow to 40 rule

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

So easy question, anyone caught out with the new slow down laws when passing emergency vehicles stopped on the side of the road?

Currently its in VIC, WA and SA (25), Its coming to the ACT this week, with NSW starting a trial in September and QLD considering introducing it. Don't know about the NT or TAS.

On the first day it started in VIC a car slowed on a motorway, a following truck did not. Also so others have been caught out, loosing over $1000 in fines and license suspension.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ad ... 6dd3df8136

I'm a little worried considering I'm heading through those states soon.
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Emergency Services Slow to 40 rule

Postby Quismiff » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 pm

I haven't been caught out, but then I usually slow down when going past them as they tend to park partially into the lane to protect the officer standing at the door of the offender (or victim according to the person pulled up). It is also shady as they have never really pinned down how many lanes out it affects...

In saying that I also tend to move out of the way of emergency vehicles coming up behind me with lights and sirens going...

Some VIC info here
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:10 pm

is it 40? i thought it was much slower... well at least here in Adelaide.
havnt been caught out but definitely do slow right down, no need to risk anyone else life when there are already way too many idiots driving over here...
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Yeah sorry, it will be 40 in most states but SA its 25... which even the police think is too slow for faster roads and motorways.

Remember this only applies to emergency vehicles STOPPED on the side of the road with there lights on. Normal rules apply when they are trying to pass, just pull over or out of the lane to let them through.

A good point was what happens when you're in front of a truck doing 110? I suggest just pull off to the side of the road, if safe and let the traffic pass. About a year ago when it was introduced in VIC the same day this actually happened and it resulted in a bad crash... good thing the police were already there!

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:45 pm

People have trouble doing 40 in school and work zones as is and it bugs the hell out of me. I take personal delight in doing the right thing and slowing down but it can cause cars to ride my tail and I'm sure one day it will result in a rear ender.

Been past a few police cars and usually it's the same thing, I'll slow but vehicle behind won't so you end up going about 50 or so past to remain safe. Haven't got a letter yet.

Here's Vicroads take on it:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/police-and-emergency-vehicles

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Make sure you have a working rear camera, not that its gonna help much if a truck hits you doing 50kph or more fast that you are doing. So if I'm in the middle of the Nullarbor and nothing else is around except a road train doing 100 behind me, could get deadly. Just look at that crash near Dubbo a few months back at road works, and they had signs and flashing lights warning the driver to slow down!

I wonder how quickly the crashes are gonna start happening just because of this law.

I would suggest a few changes, make it half the posted limit. So at 60 it would be 30, 110 it would be 55. Far easier to remember and much safer or faster roads. Also make it the same for all stated!

Not sure how they are gonna police it? Unless every emergency vehicle has a fixed speed camera?

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby benyamin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:43 am

Hopefully no one gets collected because a motor vehicle operator is busy staring at their speedo...
MY09 VRX one of these: (cj-sb-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:17 am

I would like to think in most cases if you've make an effort to slow down to about 40 (or 25) then the police won't pounce.

Also my advice (and correct me if I'm wrong) is if you get pulled over for this ask for proof you were speeding, aka the speed camera photo or the reading on the radar/laser gun. There is very little they can do without some evidence, its your word against theirs, especially if you'd slowed to say 50 on the HWY. Most people are bad judges of speed and cops are not going to chase you when you have clearly slowed a lot but might be 5-10 over these new rule limits.

That said keep an eye on the mirrors and if you have to pass them slow the frack down or pull over, let them chase the following cars and you can go on your way.

I still think this new rule needs work and it will cause confusion and crashes in the near future, I just hope QLD does NOT adopt the rule.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 am

It's an ok idea, emergency services deserve the same safe working environment everyone else would demand at their worksites.

The video in the link I provided even says they won't procecute if you have tried your best.

Unless the car is automatically detecting speed (not allowed as needs an operator when recording) then there is no way to detect speed.

At the end of the day it's for safety, like yellow flags on a racetrack.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Someone had the idea that police cars that have the LED message thing should have something about 'Slow Down to...' reminding the drivers to slow down. Ideally they would put out warning signs but how far do they go when pulling someone over?

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby benyamin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 pm

VicRoads wrote:Most people already slow down when they see an emergency vehicle ahead with red and blue flashing lights, and/or alarm sounding. The new rule establishes a required standard for safe behaviour and further ensures emergency workers can get on with their important work without worrying about being struck by a passing vehicle or debris.
So previously people slowed down while keeping their eyes up and remaining alert. If you didn't you might be charged with reckless driving, or driving endangering life, or something similar. Now you have to check your speed too, so as to avoid being fined. :shock:

Regarding contesting evidence - especially on the side of the road - the only things you should ever say to a LEO is "Am I being detained?" followed by "Then, am I free to go?" (because they usually will say "No") or if all else fails "No Comment"... You should certainly never answer their questions (as is absolutely your right), as the story linked in Craig's OP shows. Pleading ignorance will rarely do you any good, and certainly won't stop them raising revenue... Of course, being pulled over for a random breath test when you haven't been drinking would best be approached in a more cooperative manner... :wink:
MY09 VRX one of these: (cj-sb-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 pm

I agree, however being from another state that doesn't have this rule could cut you some slack if you have slowed down. Like I said went to SA 2 years ago, at the time they had this in place for about 2 years. I do not remember seeing any road side ads on the topic. Saw plenty for speeding in general and to buckle up and not drink drive.

I realise they can't have even rule on the side of the road, but it could make a nice driving game. You know the ones where you pass a sign asking a question, then a few minutes later pass the answer. Could be fun and educational on the long outback roads!

Return to “General Talk”