***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Leaking washer system

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Leaking washer system

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 am

So just found out it looks like my washer reservoir is leaking, noticed a damp patch in front of the drivers front wheel the other day, didn't think much of it because of the wet weather. But it was still there, felt the bumper just above it and it was damp but not dripping.

The reservoir was a bit low so topped it up and the drips started again. Made sure not to spill anything so its not from the filling process.

So how hard is it to get to the reservoir and lines as something there is leaking?

Would this be covered by any warranty or something?

And no this has nothing to do with the water in my boot LOL
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Leaking washer system

Postby aspir3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 am

The front windscreen washer bottle is mounted under the drivers side headlight behind the front bumper. The front bumper needs to be removed to access it

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am

I'll need to see where its leaking first, my hope was the under tray could come off and gain access to have a look.

Not removed the bumper before.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 am

I have pulled out a bottle out without removing the bumper...... pull the bumper off it is way easier!
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 pm

I don't think the bottle needs to come out.

I took off the right DRL which gives me access to look in there, could reach in a touch the bottle. No signs of a leak on the bottle its self so it might be a bad hose or something on the back side where the motor is and you can't see.

The dark patch is water but might be from the filling process.

This is a job to tackle on the weekend.

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Yea, you can remove or turn the wheel and remove the inner wheel arch lining. Check for rodent damage to the hose or to the bottle, could be the bottle seam or the pump seal, or the seal for the neck. When you check it, fill it the day before and when it stops dripping it'll give you an idea of where the leak is, then top up carefully to find the leak.

As long as it's not rodent damage or impact damage, it would be warranty

OHH YEA!!!!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Even used? I go it 2nd hand from a dealer but with an expensive 6 year warranty.

Guess it couldn't hurt to give them a call. Might just monitor it for a few days.

Pretty sure its not rodent and I haven't hit anything.

Weirdly I filled it up this morning and the car hasn't been moved. The tray (above) only has a couple of mm of water in it and where it was leaking through the under tray is now dry. Maybe some water was trapped from the rain? But its was dry the last time I went out and has not rained since last Friday.

Its the same place water often drips from after you drive in the rain or wash the car then park in a dry garage, its the reason I didn't think much of it until today.

Also I know its not the radiator over flow bottle, its the same level it normally is when the car is cold and its green, so you'd see that in the tray.

I has water leaks! Got water getting in the boot some place and a mystery leak at the front, weird!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 pm

I topped up the washer this morning, it seems to get down to a set lever, maybe near the top of tank where it joins the filled thing, looks to be a join there but I can't see a leak as such. Just topped it up again, so far no leaking but will see how it is in the morning.

Will also give the dealer (Cricks) a call tomorrow to see if its covered. I know the bottle is about $70 on eBay for a new one, will see how much they charge if its not covered. I could tell them there is a water leak but don't want to be charged for work I can do and parts I can replace of fix much cheaper. Especially if its a non critical system, ie not the coolant system which it doesn't appear to be.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 am

UPDATE - Called Cricks and they want $120 to diagnose the problem and could tell me if it would be covered by their extended used car warranty. And even if it is I still need to pay the $120!

So I jack up the front right, took off the wheel and had a look.

Tied back the plastic.

Too me it looks like a leak around the pump.

Now before this I called on parts prices, the dealer wants $110 for the bottle, $180 for the pump and $10 for the seal... I'm hoping its option 3.

All I need to know now is how hard is it to replace the seal and can the bottle be removed without the bumper coming off?

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am

You can get it out. There are 3x8mm bolts (12mm spanner) holding it in. The top bolt you do by feel using a 1/4 Drive socket short extension and ratchet.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 pm

See this is the annoying thing, while the pump is covered on the extended warranty the bottle and seal are not. While I think it might be the seal (a $10 part) I'm not 100% sure. And for them to check it and replace the seal its an expensive job. But I don't want to take it out and break something, screwing up my extended warranty.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Looking at this digram it appears the pump just pushes down into the grommet, and thats it?
I did notice some grease or something around the leak.
http://www.clubcj.net/workshop/SEARCH/i ... D00ENG.pdf

Alright should I get a grommet (from a different dealer) cancel the inspection and see if replacing it fixes the leak?
I just down won't to spend $150 or more to find its a $10 part I can replace.

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 am

Is the bottle still leaking?
Looks like the slime that usually builds up from washer fluid on the pump.
The seal is just pushed into the bottle, just lift the pump out (I would give it a quick clean), the seal should pop out, I usually put some rubber grease or vasoline on the seal, put it in the bottle first then put the pump back. Lube makes life easier getting the pump in

OHH YEA!!!!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:30 am

I'm pretty sure the bottle is not the issue and the pump is still working (well it worked 2 days ago the last time I checked it) So that leaves the grommet, which like the bottle is not covered under that extended warranty.

I think what I might do today is cancel that visit, before they try slugging me with a cancelation fee (wouldn't rule that out) and on the weekend take my time to get the bottle out and just see whats going on.

Right now I'm 90% sure its the grommet leaking but even if its the bottle I could potentially fix it (duct tape and super glue) or get one on eBay at half the price.

as I said yesterday I don't want to spend maybe $150 or more for them to just replace the grommet, plus have to take it to them for 2 half day visits for something I can fix in my own time over the weekend for $10.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am

UPDATE - I canceled the diagnostic appointment at the dealer. Will order the grommet and give it a go.

So I guess from the lack feedback this is not a common issue? Or many people haven't noticed it leaking?

UPDATE UPDATE - ordered the grommet part, its actually about $5!

Return to “Maintenance”