***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

LED Light Bar

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: LED Light Bar

Postby bumblebee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 am

Trust me get a decent led bar like the Stedi and you will be absolutely amazed with the amout of light they throw out. I have no doubt you could mount it behind the grille and it would make bugger all difference to the amount of amount of light that will be projected infront of your vehicle.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Just bear in mind that you probably can only have the light bar come on with the high beam (check your state regs). Vicroads rules on fog and driving lights. for example.

So if your unlikely to be in an area you will use high beam often, eg. country roads, then fitting a light bar isn't really worth while.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Correct
ADR says light bar can only be operated with high beam on

Stedi comes with a full plug n play wiring harness. I own one of their harness and they are so super easy to install its not funny.
Fully ADR complied and you can buy it own its own from ebay direct from Stedi.
Keep your eyes peeled like i did and you can get it delivered to your door for approx $35

Fitting light bar for country roads is an absolute necessity. Just wait till you drive at night with it lit up. It turns night into day. Absolutely worth every penny and i can not recommended it highly enough

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Yeah I know this, same set up for spot lights I had on the old Lancer.

Are these any good from BCF?
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/XTM-LED-L ... om=5041763
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:21 am

My current led bar is from BCF
They had a special a few months ago and i did post about it. I grabbed a 20 inch bar down from 250 to just $100. Mine is a single row. The only thing to be careful of is how it mounts.
See the end of the bar there is a plate the comes down to bolt up to a bull bar.
Goto BCF and have a look in the box and see if it comes with mounts that attach to the bottom of the bar that will slide the full length of the bar.
With out the bottom slide mounts you will have a fun time trying to mount the bar to the front of the lancer.if it does have the slide mounts your aet. It can easily bolt.up to a licence plate headlight mount.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 am

My idea was to bolt them directly to the top grill, I just don't know if its strong enough so its just a theory at the moment.

I'll see if I have time to drop in today as I'll be right around the corner from my closest BCF.
One thing I noticed on their website is no mention of the length of them ones listed, I'm assuming the $40 one (plus wiring) is about 20" so will check it out.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 am

I'd suggest to try avoid driving at night if possible, too much wildlife around. High beams can also be a factor in roadkill as they scare animals on to the road or freeze them in place (deer in the headlights).

Kangaroos, Wombats and Camels are bad enough but it's the Emus that are the worst, plumage the same colour as the road and a high centre of mass. Hit one of those and it's coming straight into your windscreen.

You say your going west would that be across the Nullabor? My brother and I drove that once for a short while at night and high beams weren't that useful as the road is so flat you can see lights of distant cars so far away we kept switching to low beam as we thought they were much closer than they were, you could literally see them a few kilometres up the road.

Also no matter where you mount the bar (behind grill or on bumper) it will be blocking airflow into your radiator. Maybe an idea could be to mount it above the bonnet on a removable bracket like a rally car light pod setup.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:10 am

Rather then do 100kmph on the highway at night back it off to 80kmph instead
Remember 100kmph is only the Maximum apeed you can do on that road, not the minimum
With a decent light bar up front you can pick the eyes of the cattle roos etc and dip to low beam while throwing the anchors out
My led bar does not block the radiator grills as it is a low profile unit and sits nicely above the licence plate where the mitsy logo is on front bumper.
Dont forget you can use the high beams on the lancer with out the led bar.
They are extremely useless but they do work

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:18 pm

I wish someone would make a rally style spot light or bar pod for the CJ, something you can remove once not needed.

Yes basically got through Mt Isa west then head south to Alice and Port Augusta and then west to Esperance WA.

Night driving will only be if we need to not a planned thing.

Also just checked out those ones in BCF, the XTM ones are new to them and really light. Think they are 21.5/31.5/41.5 in size, plus smaller ones you'd use in pairs.

Look these are all just options right now, not sure which way I'll go.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 pm

I made my light easy to remove
Just undo the bolts under it
Pop bonnet
Undo 2 x positap plugs one for positive and one for negative . Light bar out and done in few minutes

Ronan.Butler11
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Ronan.Butler11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Yeah saw that too but only issue there is its lower down than is ideal and the grill will block some of the light, so might be a lot of work for no gain.

Yes checked the links and found the weights, I also picked one up in SCA once, they feel heavy.

Will see what I can do for mounting options now I have a shinny new welder I can play with to make something up :)

Maybe get a combo of led bar behind grill and an aftermarket grill with "mesh" that doesnt block as much light?
"When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be An Evo! (9 MR with a filthy BOV)

'09 Lancer VRX
Modifications:
De-Res Then a 2.5" Dual Exit X-Force Axle back Exhaust
18" King Rims
Ralliart Snorkel
LED No. Plate lights and interior
*insert further useless modifications to make it seem like i'm good at this*

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am

Dug this out of the shed...

I think it looks cool, although I will need to either buy an alloy bar or go to the scrap place and find something I can use to make something. This bar is stainless steel I think as its way to heavy to be annoy but its non magnetic.

And yes some idiot thought tinting the plastic covers would look cool.

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:37 am

I'm just about to write up a post about how I mounted a light bar in a way that not many people can see if you're interested. I'll add the link in a second once it's done.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Saw the post, nice work.

Still decided which way to go. I like the 'classic' look of the spots I have.

This is another mounting option is lower and off to the side more, make a bracket that fits behind the number plate, allowing for an CB antenna mount also.

Return to “Lighting”