***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Thinking of buying My14.5 Lancer GSR

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

triplenetz
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Thinking of buying My14.5 Lancer GSR

Postby triplenetz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 pm

hello everyone,
As my previous car was written off :( .i m about to buy the Lancer GSR My14.5 version. There's a few scratch here and there but doesn't bother me as it's already 3 years old. The only problem is "the passenger side headlight plastic is cracked inside and making it foggy I have no idea how it happened. I asked the owner and he said he never change the light bulbs. Would it be a problem ? will I need to replace the whole headlight or can i go to the dealer to replace it ? as it's still under warranty for another 2 years.
Thank you guys

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Thinking of buying My14.5 Lancer GSR

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 pm

Welcome and hope the buy goes well! I got a feeling mitsubishi will not pay up for the fix as outer body cracks, slits and chips are generally wear and tear use, so if the fogginess is being caused by the cracked headlight they’ll ask to pay up! That’s just what I think though, not sure if the outer shell can be replaced, if so I don’t see it to be a big problem then!
We are all in it for the fun!

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:57 am

I would be checking about the warranty as i discovered the warranty on the lancer isn't trasferable to a secod owner.
Seems silly as you can do it with most motorcycles but mitsubishi doesn't.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:32 am

bumblebee wrote:I would be checking about the warranty as i discovered the warranty on the lancer isn't trasferable to a secod owner.

I think you will find factory warranty extends to new owner. However, extended warranty generally doesn't.
and road side assist? :)

triplenetz
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby triplenetz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi everyone ,
Thanks for the reply. This is the car that I m about to buy. I already paid the deposit and collecting this weekend. What do you guys think of the price? I got it with 12.5k$
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 413/?Cr=38
It's too late to ask the owner to change the headlights before the final payment? it's all basic not even include the floor mats. :(
The headlights lens is fine but the interlayers plastics has a crack on it. I don't know if he tried to install the new light bulbs or not. The fog is appearing on display signal,

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 am

Any defects on the car you should have got the owner to fix and repair before you hand over cash..pay a deposit by all all means to show your definitely interested but done hand over a cent more till its fixed
And make sure you get a receipt for your deposit

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:41 am

Definitely get a roadworthy (Victorian requirement for car sales private and dealership) If the owner isn't willing to get one done, I would be dubious as to why...
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

powermad
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby powermad » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 am

sarusa wrote:I think you will find factory warranty extends to new owner. However, extended warranty generally doesn't.
and road side assist? :)

Correct, at least for our Mirage. Confirmed by dealer in writing the 5 year warranty, road side assist and capped service prices all came to us as second owner.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 pm

triplenetz wrote:Hi everyone ,
Thanks for the reply. This is the car that I m about to buy. I already paid the deposit and collecting this weekend. What do you guys think of the price? I got it with 12.5k$
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 413/?Cr=38
It's too late to ask the owner to change the headlights before the final payment? it's all basic not even include the floor mats. :(
The headlights lens is fine but the interlayers plastics has a crack on it. I don't know if he tried to install the new light bulbs or not. The fog is appearing on display signal,

If you are buying the car with a road worthy certificate, then the light should be fixed by the seller as this I believe would void the roadworthy certificate. :(

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Beware!!! According to Mitsubishi, I was told, warranty started when car was purchased by dealer and not from when you purchased new and registered it. In my case this was 4 months. Had a tough and persistent time getting them to bringing it forward to when I had it registered.
They claimed warranty from first registered. Was when dealer took possession of the vehicle.

Argument I used was. All their advertising offered a 5 year warranty and as advertising was directed to person purchasing the vehicle, then that
would be an impossibility, as even if the dealer purchased the car for your order it would take anything up to a week or more before it was registered in your name, there fore making the 5year warranty to the purchaser an impossibility! False Advertising?

As even a day less makes it less then the 5 years offered.

triplenetz
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby triplenetz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello everyone, thanks for the reply. The cars come with RWC. i have no idea how he passed the RWC with foggy headlights or it happens after RWC ?. probably the fog is not in the main light rather it's on signal side. I saw the Paperworks of car and it stated the warranty started October of 2014. So i guess it's still under warranty as GSR version comes with 5 years warranty.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 am

What is the registration date,month? Is that also October?

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:52 am

sarusa wrote:Beware!!! According to Mitsubishi, I was told, warranty started when car was purchased by dealer and not from when you purchased new and registered it. In my case this was 4 months. Had a tough and persistent time getting them to bringing it forward to when I had it registered.
They claimed warranty from first registered. Was when dealer took possession of the vehicle.

This is an old trick dealers use, same thing happened with my parents (Volkswagen). The dealer 'buys' the car from Mitsubishi Australia (MMA) and leaves it on their lot. As the car was bought the warranty according to MMA has started (MMA and dealer wear the same badge but are not same company).

They do this so their sales targets for a given time frame are better as MMA see it then what they actually were. This means MMA gives them better incentives or rewards.

A conscientious dealer should take the burden of the warranty, but as seen is not always the case.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:27 am

bumblebee wrote:I would be checking about the warranty as i discovered the warranty on the lancer isn't trasferable to a secod owner.

If that is true it would need to be mentioned on the warranty, which it isn't.

If true it would play hell with comparable trade in price within the time frame of the warranty and I wouldn't have bought my lancer.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

triplenetz wrote:Hello everyone, thanks for the reply. The cars come with RWC. i have no idea how he passed the RWC with foggy headlights or it happens after RWC ?. probably the fog is not in the main light rather it's on signal side. I saw the Paperworks of car and it stated the warranty started October of 2014. So i guess it's still under warranty as GSR version comes with 5 years warranty.

My understanding is if a RWC is older than 30 days then the sale isn't legit, most people will get an RWC after an intention to purchase or deposit is received, as was the case with my car, I gave the guy $500 as a deposit, he got the RWC and I picked the car up a week later (dude was a Police Officer, so I figured there was a degree of trust there) also writing a short 'contract' stating the deposit is refundable pending RWC is good so that you know they have done the work.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”