***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Car Audio Wiring

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: Car Audio Wiring

Postby VRXblack » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks to all! much appreciated!

I think im in the same boat as you Lancer1993, i had a look at everything yesterday and there seems to be 4 wires for the camera, obviously 1 is power and 1 is earth and there are 2 more which get moulded to the RCA plug. But after i stripped the thicker cable protector so that i can extend the power and ground cables so i can hook up to the reversing lights there is only 1 thicker cable for the RCA which i think might be all in one. Plus the manual for the camera says nothing about a trigger wire.
Hmmmm i might just hook it up and see what happens since the camera and the head unit are the same brand it may just kick in when the camera gets power. I know which wire i need to tap into for the reversing lights cause my car had already come with reversing sensors so i just going tap into that same cable (for anyone else its the thicker solid white wire in the boot =)).

But either way looks like i have to wait an other week for my front camera so im gonna have to take it all apart again next weekend so if it doesnt work ill just re run an other cable from the boot to the front (now that i know where it all fits =))
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:06 am

Sorry for the year late reply ... only just seen this.

Under the dash drivers side for Aussie lancers (well all rhd) is the wiring loom from the rear of the car. If you split the cover on this loom and find a solid white wire.

TEST before using it to power camera otherwise you could do damage.

Jam a voltage tester into it (either multimeter or straight up voltage tester if your confident) ... when car is running, no current ... when reverse is engaged, i think i got 14v. Turn reverse off again and should return to no current.

I got this feed from trunk but i know the worrying loom runs too the drivers side for ignition/dash control then to fuse box behind glove box, so you just need to test.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:59 pm

My "activ" had the reverse camera wires up when i bought it. Who ever did it ran a red cable from the positive side of the reverse light back up thru the boot lid thru a rubber dudad that has the wires run thru it and then feed the cable down into the lower left corner of the boot. The red cable then got wired to the reverse camera and the black (negative ) wire from the camera runs straight to the chassis of the car.
When the vehicle has reverse selected the reverse lights power up and so does the camera. The camera video output is then feed back to the header unit so you can see.
On my activ the cable ran along the passenger side of the car under the plastics next to the door sill to hide it all and then back up under the glovebox to behind the header unit and connected.

Hope that helps

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:19 pm

oh wow what an old thread lol
yeah i ended up figuring it out, connected power to the reversing lights and RCA obviously plugs into the head unit. So when ever i go into reverse it powers the camera and head unit kicks in =)

cheers for the input though!!!
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Return to “Electrical”