***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

RA vs NA?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: RA vs NA?

Postby Mystique » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:06 pm

It all comes down to what you want out of the car and how much power you actually want to make.

This is purely just my opinion, but I love my Ralliart.. But for me the upside to buying my RA was:
- The SST
- The twin clutch <3
- The pure up and go and fun you can have with paddle shift (yes I know the VRX has paddle shift... but once you go choo choo, you don't go back)
- The fact that Evo X parts are basically bolt on ;) and how many amazing mods you can do with it!

The Downsides of owning my Ralliart:

- The Maintenance. My last service on my Ralliart was $300. A service on my NA Lancer (I own a NA CJ Lancer as well) is $140 in between the Major 15K service.
- If a gearbox blows or something goes wrong, you're up for a lot of dosh!
- The fuel economy. I run nothing but BP Ultimate but it's an average of between 300-400K's per tank depending on how you're going to drive it. My NA CJ gets around 650 - 750 K's to a tank.
- It's basically an Auto. So there's no fun with a manual gearbox or clutch. But to be honest, I couldn't fault the SST :D haha.

If you're looking at buying one, I would highly suggest you get it professionally checked out and buy one that is stock so at least then you know there's less chance of something going wrong with it.

I got lucky with mine and scored my Ralliart for a really good price and with reasonably low k's!

At the end of the day, once you drive one, it's pretty much love at first sight! (Again.. this is purely my opinion). I literally have no regrets buying mine! Even more so now with a bub on the way! It also makes an incredible fast family car that's still practical ;) :P
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:21 pm

I mean thats with pump 98. 4B11s make more power than 4G63s, mod for mod. And they will run leaner.

Ralliarts are a great car, I just think they need the Evos brake package.
Which, considering how you can virtually bolt on all the EvoX goodies, ought to be a high priority upgrade.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Here is a question - Would you more likely buy a RA if Mitsubishi offered it with a proper manual GB like the EVO?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Nope. It wouldn't make it as fun or "special". It would just make it a tuned down Evo with the same sst as the MR

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Unless you intend hitting the race track or time trials. What do you do, or need, with all that power!!
Ah! but its nice to have and be seen with and heaps of fun, or is it just a waste of the hard earned! :?

To each their own.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:05 pm

I'd take it, if I ever got a chance to own an EVO I'd opt for a manual. Yes I know there are some here that say once you're driven the SST you'll love it and maybe that is true but right now from where I stand I love my manual, just wish the newer CJ/CF had a 6 speed over the outdated 5 speed which I had in my 76 Celica!

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Again it's each to their own.

I love my manual too. But if I was going to choose between my Daily CJ which is a 5 speed manual and my Weekend Ralliart. I would choose my Ralliart over the manual any day. Especially for throttle response.

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Nate N » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:48 pm

sarusa wrote:Unless you intend hitting the race track or time trials. What do you do, or need, with all that power!!

Performance cars have never been about need, they're really a selfish personal decision. Because if driving was just about necessity, we'd treat cars like whitegoods and all drive Toyota Corollas. And there are still opportunities to use the power day-to-day, highway overtaking and local mountain roads come to mind.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:51 pm

Nate N wrote:
sarusa wrote:Unless you intend hitting the race track or time trials. What do you do, or need, with all that power!!

Performance cars have never been about need, they're really a selfish personal decision. Because if driving was just about necessity, we'd treat cars like whitegoods and all drive Toyota Corollas. And there are still opportunities to use the power day-to-day, highway overtaking and local mountain roads come to mind.

Hahah! Corollas xD

Well said dude

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Nate N » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Here is a question - Would you more likely buy a RA if Mitsubishi offered it with a proper manual GB like the EVO?

I think Mitsubishi made the right choice by offering the RA exclusively with the SST, especially in Australia where the preference is heavily slanted towards automatics. It was the real point of difference between the RA and the WRX, which only came with a pretty average 5-speed manual.

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:39 pm

I haven't driven a RA or anything with the SST, but I hated driving the CVT, and I'm not a fan of standard automatics. Though the SST has duel clutch so it's bound to be better. My girlfriend has an automatic 2003 Astra TS, and I hate that thing. It's a pain to change the brake pads (7mm hex key, look it up and have fun), it's a pain to change the oil (torx socket in soft metal, probs stripped after the first oil change it ever had, no hope for me when I went to do it), and it sucks to drive. I have to put it in its pathetic "sport" mode just to stop myself driving the thing off a bridge.

Honestly if you know anyone thinking about buying their first car (or even second, third, any car), DO NOT LET THEM BUY A HOLDEN ASTRA. Piece of shit made by Opel, and while Opel sells them here directly now, I don't know if the newer ones are any better.
Last edited by aspir3 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed swearing

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm

I wish we had an SST in the Evo8 at Pikes Peak this year, they are so much faster than manual. Great fun in the twisties.

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Mystique wrote:My NA CJ gets around 650 - 750 K's to a tank.

How on earth do you manage that? Around town my NA CJ gets maybe 500km...

(Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread, but really curious.)

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Viking wrote:
Mystique wrote:My NA CJ gets around 650 - 750 K's to a tank.

How on earth do you manage that? Around town my NA CJ gets maybe 500km...

(Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread, but really curious.)

;) Skills! I don't drive it hard haha. I am grandma in both my RA and my NA xD But I also don't spend a lot of time stuck in traffic! :P

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:14 pm

Yesh I'm lucky to get 500 in my VRX around town, better on short trips down the HWY, the other day it was down to 7.4Lt at one point going down the motorway.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”