***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Can the OBD2 be hack remotely?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Can the OBD2 be hack remotely?

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Simple question, if you have a OBD2 BT dongle plugged into you CJ can it be hacked remotely when the car is locked, or does it require power to access remotely?

Side question, can it be hacked while you're driving along?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: Can the OBD2 be hack remotely?

Postby toc » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:10 pm

IF Power is off, then there can still be power at the ODB2 BT device, but the ECU won't respond. If you had power on the ODB2 BT device and it was power hungry, you'd drain your battery. That is, there is battery at the ODB2 connector, however, the ODB2 device *should* sleep when not needed.
The ECU is on ignition power, and won't answer anything unless the car is 'ON'.. the ECU does have battery feeds, but these serve to keep memory.

Can your ODB2 plug be hacked whilst you are driving? Sure, so they might know your RPMs, Speed, etc - who cares? They'd have to know your ODB2 connector was on, be in close proximity to your car (so, this person has been following me for the last 30ks?) - and have to know the pin number for your ODB2 BT connection.. (or brute force it, but see above - person following you for long time).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:28 pm

I guess its a good think BT is such short range, might notice someone tale-gating you so close.

I was more concerned about hacking when parked.

Still wondering if I should leave the OBD2 dongle in when I take the car in for the next service?

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Leave it in, they'll just take it out if they are going to plug the MUTIII into it.. (assuming you service at Mitsu).
Mitsu will only want to plug in if to update ECU, or to read a code (engine light on).

If you don't service at Mitsu, I'm certain the mechanic won't plug in unless he is told to investigate a check engine light :P

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Under the extended used car warranty its serviced at a dealer but not had any warning lights yet.

I'll remember to check it's still there in case they do check something and forget to put it back in.

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:51 pm

Yeah, no one's gonna hack it, the only power it receives when engine is off is to drive the LED (if it has one), and chances of someone hacking the car while you're driving is pretty slim. Mitsubishi won't care that you've got one, but yeah if you take it in for a service and leave it in, make sure it's there when you get it back :P I took my car in to get an airbag fault code cleared that I had triggered when I was installing my amp (can't clear them by disconnecting battery D:), and they didn't mention it, and they must have plugged it back in afterwards.

Return to “Electrical”