***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

EGR valve discussion

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:50 pm

I guess you could then just leave the EGR valve in place so it looks normal. It would be interesting to see if it has any impact on fuel economy, such as when cruising, and power.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Yes I prefer to leave the ERG valve in place so it's not obvious that it's been modified

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Yes I prefer to leave the ERG valve in place so it's not obvious that it's been modified

MY10VR
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MY10VR » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:19 am

Guys please not that this schematic below isn't relative to MY10 2.4ltr (autos in my case)

Ref 10. Exhaust gas recirculation valve

Bigger expanded schemeatic
refer to #2 EGR valve
this is actually the early version from what I gather and is applicable
to other Mitsu's models in the range that also have the 4B12 2.4ltr motor.

100% definitely not on MY10 Auto at all
MY10VR-CT9A7RS2

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:10 pm

I just attempted this. I had the settings to disable the egr DTC's in my definition file. Was easy to turn them off and blank off the egr valve ports with a metal shim.

While I did not discover any fault codes caused by doing this I did discover that under light load and cruising high knocking occurred on a tune I know was knock free. Maybe merlin can chime in with a reason this occurred. But by the look of it disabling the egr codes and simply blanking it off isn't that easy.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:54 pm

If I were to guess I would say it is because the engine is effectively running too lean. The reasoning behind my guess is that there is a greater percentage of air now that the recirculated exhaust gas isn't present.

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Michael is right - the air comes from somewhere and so if the EGR is not supplying inert gas to fill the cylinder, then more air will be drawn via the intake - this would be metered air though, but the fuel map and spark map would be still be mapped expecting exhaust..
That would have triggered a code too (too much air when trying to operate EGR).

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:52 pm

That was my guess too. The job of the egr apart from emissions improvement is to allow co2 to partly fill the cylinders at low throttle and decrease the amount of oxygen needed to create an optimal burn. By removing the flow from the egr it would free up space for more air and potentially create a lean condition.

Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re:

Postby sarusa » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:04 pm

burfadel wrote:
aspir3 wrote:Obviously it would run better without the erg valve. We go to such efforts to fit cold air intakes and then have a factory valve that allows in hot air, doesnt make sense.

It's just hot air, it's exhaust. Electronically limiting it would be safer warranty and legality wise if that is at all possible, assuming of course.

Hot air is a pain in the but. there's heaps of it in Canberra Parliament!!!! :D

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re:

Postby sarusa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:39 am

merlin wrote:Nasty looking piece of excess weight and complication, especially when it fails.

Sometime this year I will be looking for a test bunny so I can find and totally disable the EGR function. I am sure it can be done and I know more or less where the byte that will need to set to zero resides. Some testing required.

Give me a call if you want a bunny. My car is a MY15 ES Sport with just under 7,000ks stock standard except for a RA snorkel. :)

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Re: EGR valve discussion

Postby burfadel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:41 am

I'm happy to be a test bunny as well! Was it ever worked out which Lancers actually have EGR valves?

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 pm

burfadel wrote:I'm happy to be a test bunny as well! Was it ever worked out which Lancers actually have EGR valves?

I know mine has! :(

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am

sarusa wrote:
burfadel wrote:I'm happy to be a test bunny as well! Was it ever worked out which Lancers actually have EGR valves?

I know mine has! :(

Looking at the EPC for my MY08 I have a solenoid that it describes as being for the EGR system, but the hose(s) that come off it go to the Evap canister and the brake booster. there is no part number for the EGR valve in the schematic, or anywhere in the EPC, did I luck out?

Red Dots are the solenoid and coresponding part number.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:07 pm

When my EGR valve got stuck open pretty much nobody knew what it was, even Mitsubishi took a week finding the issue. The young mechanics were relying on the fault codes, which basically all got triggered. It was right before Christmas, so after pestering them the head guy he said he'll look at it and it was fixed later that day. Then relaying the story on here it appeared that nobody was aware they had them either. It's possible that on some cars they are stuck shut, which you wouldn't be aware. There are variations of the engine. New Zealand according to their website have variable lift, which we don't have. I believe it gives a flatter torque curve and better emissions. Would be interesting whether they have EGR valves. It also means the must have a different cylinder head?

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm

I'll keep an eye out for a 2.4 Lancer when I am back home at the end of the month. (yes I'm a Kiwi :twisted: )

what is your VIN number burfadel? it would be interesting to look at it on partsouq and see if there is a part listing for it in the EPC for the EGR.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Return to “General Talk”