Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

mealsey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

It's Still a Mitsi!

Postby mealsey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:06 pm

Heya Guys,

So on Friday I picked up my new car. A 2015 ES Sport after someone ran into my 2001 CE Lancer, hence, it's still a Mitsi.

The car;
- Titanium
- CF inserts and B Pillars
- Safety pack

Plans for the car;
Tinting (20%)
Wheels XXR 527 (18x8.75 with 225/40/18's)
Exhaust (2 & 1/4 inch Catback)
Ralliart Snorkel + K&N Panel Filter
Plasti Dip work.

Excited to see what comes. Any other suggestions or good places to go would be great.

Will see where to go from there! (Will workout how to add photos soon)
Mitch.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 pm

In the later CJ Lancers, I believe the change probably occurred at the same time as the air filter box change (make sure you get K&N 33-3015 NOT 33-2392), the exhaust from the catalytic converter back is pretty much a straight pipe.

It would be interesting to know the difference between just replacing the end part of the muffler, kind of an axle back like mine (muffler with pipe attached to the last flange in the exhaust), and a catback like you suggested. The biggest difference between the two would be the resonator chosen and the increase in pipe size.

I considered a catback myself, but the exhaust place basically said it wasn't worth doing because of the existing piping unlike earlier CJ Lancers. If you do a catback and extractors, literally the only thing left on your exhaust that would be stock is the cat.

Basically, with the recent Lancers either you do the muffler (ideally like mine, from the last flange, so you can swap them around with the original), and extractors, or you do the whole exhaust, as catback is 'pointless' with the stock cat.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

belle_tb_ES
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby belle_tb_ES » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Welcome!

There is a point to changing exhaust (catback). But i would suggest getting a high flow cat too (don't have to ).

I was told to not worry about the extractors on the CJ but you will find that there are probably different opinions everywhere.
PRESENT: 2015 Audi S3

PAST:2009 Lancer ES called Lancee...

Garage: http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=947
I

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 pm

Extractors would be more beneficial than changing a bit of straight pipe from the catalytic converter to the muffler. The post 2012 MY13's have a different exhaust design.

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Welcome! :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Can I ask what the new CJs exhausts are made of? My 09 VRX is stainless steel through out.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Can I ask what the new CJs exhausts are made of? My 09 VRX is stainless steel through out.

I believe except for the cat it's basically mild steel all the way from the manifold (also steel) to the exhaust tip. The exhaust is straight from where the manifold attaches to the pipe before the cat, right to the back of the car. There is a couple of small bends then into the muffler, which is just like a normal car. Not the weird layout like earlier CJ Lancers.

xCeazy
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby xCeazy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Welcome! :D
Fraser Coast, Queensland.

mealsey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mealsey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Cheers guys and thanks for the feedback.

Just wondering what the diameter is on the exhaust though? If I went a 2 and 1/4 inch I thought this would be de-restricting air flow (a tiny bit). Also I would love to get a high flow cat but will it throw the CEL from the second o2 sensor? Quoted $395 for the custom catback and an extra $300 for a high flow cat.
2015 Lancer CJ 2.0L NA
8) Slow Life 8)

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:04 pm

You would be basically going from a 2 inch pipe to a 2.25 inch pipe. There is a bit of discussion of this, with 2.25 inch reportedly better for high revs, but others saying 2 inch is better for normal driving? Not sure of the outright benefit of that piping, and at that price it sounds like mild steel? A good exhaust place wouldn't touch mild steel, they'd used aluminised steel. To confuse things further, many mufflers like Berklee and Redback etc may say mild steel because people are familiar with it, but are in fact aluminised steel.

This is probably why some people have what they assumed was mild steel lasting for years without rust, and others have rust pretty quickly. In other words, just make sure that it is no less than aluminised steel being used!

If you do the catback I would consider having a slim hotdog style resonator after the cat, not right before the rear muffler. It's kind of strange that the resonator is so far back in the design.

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:03 am

Welcome, but PLEASE do not fit a K&N pannel filter, the engine will make more power with a Cosworth or TOG panel filter.

mealsey
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mealsey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks Merlin, have heard of them so will probably take your advice. Might hit you up for a tune.

Also from your experience, will I get a CEL with a high flow cat? And can this be removed from a tune?
2015 Lancer CJ 2.0L NA
8) Slow Life 8)

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:55 am

A proper 200 cell high flow CAT wont cause a DTC.
There are numerous CCJ members running high flow CATs with no problems.

A 200 cell CAT will certainly result in better power, but as with all non boost mods to the Lancer, dont expect miracles.

judg3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby judg3 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:38 am

Welcome!

merlin wrote:Welcome, but PLEASE do not fit a K&N pannel filter, the engine will make more power with a Cosworth or TOG panel filter.

In Merlin we trust.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:43 am

merlin wrote:Welcome, but PLEASE do not fit a K&N pannel filter, the engine will make more power with a Cosworth or TOG panel filter.

TOG do not make a filter suitable for the post 2012 MY13 Lancers even though TOG claim that it fits 07 Lancers onwards, and I believe it is the same for Cosworth. It's actually a little hard to find the info, I think maybe K&N are the only ones that have it right? Even Ryco doesn't seem sure on what cars use which air filter!

I'll use Ryco to show the difference between the two.

Pre 2012 MY13 4B11 NA (I believe this is where the change occurred):
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue ... /series/cj

2012 MY13 4B11 NA onwards:
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue ... /series/cj

For K&N, the new models use 33-3015, whereas pre 2012 MY13 cars use 33-2392.

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”