***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Grill Light Question.

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Chase
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Grill Light Question.

Postby Chase » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 pm

In the process of wiring in some grill lights. Planning on having it hooked up to a three way (on, off, on) switch. I've done a little bit of auto electrical work but will also have a qualified auto electrician mate helping me.

Ideally I'd like an always on, always off and door/unlock setting. I believe he had some difficulty with the dome lights they were only 5V.

The new plan is:

1. To take constant power from the battery and run it to the switch for the "Always On" setting.

2. Run a wire from Mitsubishi footwell lights instead of the dome lights as they give off 12V. Run it to the switch for the unlock/door setting.

3. Ground the necessary wires and run a wire from the LEDs to the switch for output.

As I said I'm not 100% but I believe this is what my mate will do. I just have a few questions.

- Does this seem viable?

- We had difficulty finding a grommet from the engine bay to the dash. It's a 2014 Lancer ES Sport. Does anyone know some fairly easy grommet locations?

markalishous
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby markalishous » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:04 pm

The easiest grommet is just above and behind the accelerator. I found a 12V source for my interior light but mine is an 08 model so maybe Mitsubishi have changed it. It should be very easy to do. Where are you planning on placing the switch?

Chase
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Chase » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Planning on putting the switch near that blank switch panel. Although haven't had a proper look yet. I've checked the footwell lights and it is 12V. So it seems a lot easier then using the interior lights. Planning on just cutting the male and female terminals. Then crimping both wires together. Save on soldering.

Chase
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Chase » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Not finding this grommet you're speaking of. Got some type of grey material behind the accelerator pedal.

markalishous
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby markalishous » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:23 pm

It kind of up behind the accelarator pedal in the fire wall. I think it might even be under that grey stuff it been a long time sorry. There is a black rubber gromet in it. You can also see it from the engine bay its located near the brake fluid resevoir and behind the aircon lines in the drivers side from memory.

Chase
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Chase » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Will have a look if there is one there it would be really helpful. Currently we're planning on running it through the engine bay into the door jam? Where the passenger door hinge is. There's a rubber type grommet there we plan on using it runs into the footwell.

Hopefully it will be completed today as getting a new posting and Defence is notoriously good at shipping cars to the wrong state and making you wait months for them to fix it.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:45 pm

You can go through the chassis rail entry point in the wheel arch exit point is infront of the fuel lever

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Chase
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Chase » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Cheers for the help blokes got it all sorted.

MINE
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MINE » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Looks fierce! Love the purple

Return to “Electrical”