***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

X-Factor Folding mirrors - My Dramas!

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

X-Factor Folding mirrors - My Dramas!

Postby jordan.fuchs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 am

Hey All,

So I recently bought a set of x-factor auto folding mirrors, they look awesome.

So set out to install them over the weekend.

Got them all wired up but whenever I would turn the ignition on, the mirrors would fold in.. what?
I also noticed another issue, on the control box, the demister input was actually putting out a constant 12v signal, which means even when my car is off, my rear demister and my mirror demisters were constantly on.

Now I thought surely I've just done something stupid but I spent over an hour tracing my wiring, testing, resoldering, re-reading the instructions but according to their wiring instructions I was spot on.

I ended up having to bypass the control box using seperate relays for the demister and the indicator.
I also needed to put a relay on the constant input on the control box to cut the power when the ignition was switched on, so the mirrors didn't immediately fold in.

Now I'm no electrical stig but if I didn't know what I was doing I would have been screwed.

Nevertheless, my folding mirrors now work 100% (they don't blink 3 times when folding, the blink with the rest of the indicators which I'd prefer tbh).

I probably just got a dud control box, but anyone else had similar problems with these mirrors?

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

I've had them on my car since 2009. Works as described.
Sometimes in really hot weather, they struggle.

Because of how evolved the installation process is, it's hard to tell if it's just the box or the person installing it has wired incorrectly.

Redo the wiring again stage by stage and don't rush.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 am

jordan.fuchs wrote:Now I thought surely Ive just done something stupid but I spent over an hour tracing my wiring, testing, resoldering, re-reading the instructions but according to their wiring instructions I was spot on.

I've already double/triple checked my wiring, went and saw an auto elec mate who checked my wiring. There were no issues with my wiring.
I'm sure I just got a dud control box.

Put it this way ofey, I took a test light to it and the part marked as demister INPUT was actually outputting a constant 12v signal, which means my mirrors and rear demisters would be constantly heated.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:25 am

In that case, dud box. ask him for a replacement.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Return to “Electrical”