***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Fitting the New Timing Chain

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Before replacing the chain the rocker cover is removed and visually check the alignment marks. If not past the alignment marks the code is erased and the timing chain learnt value is reset.

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:33 am

feral wrote:Before replacing the chain the rocker cover is removed and visually check the alignment marks. If not past the alignment marks the code is erased and the timing chain learnt value is reset.

exactly what i said. there is no fooling around this one. if the chain is not stretched then no replacement through warranty. in fact, i would think that if the chain was not stretched but the ECU threw a code, mitsubishi may check the ECU again for faults. if they found that it had been modified to throw the code (which it would not be hard to do) they would make you pay for the hours put on the car for the inspection
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:49 am

ok, its checked physically as well then, that upsets that plan. :(
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah, the chain gets physically checked. There are markings that show the margins of stretch before it gets replaced. So no point playing with the values on the ecu.

The chain itself is around $100 - $120 depending on where its from. I paid $109 through my mechanic.

Work wise, it would take a number of hours to replace. And after that, you need a MUT3 and reset the learned value in the ECU.

I just looked at my invoice, and there were no part numbers listed :(
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:59 pm

SEB15 wrote:[quote:4d3719ed2e=el3ment]I had mine replaced a few weeks ago to the new design chain on my RA. Nothing else is really required, just the new chain. You also can take out a runner inside in the middle, as its no longer required with the new chain. However mitsubishi can supply that info when your mechanic requests it. it is a good idea however to replace the plastic guides inside also. Ill see if I have the parts list for the parts we used and will post the product codes for them. Then just need to reset the timing chain stretch value stored in the ECU, which can only be done by the MUT3. My mechnic had the SnapOn computer thing, and it cant do it.[/quote:4d3719ed2e] Sorry to trow heaps of questions, but How much was the new chain? and aslo how much you got charged for label? and any mechanic can do the replacement? Thanks!

Hey. I don't know how much labour was, as I was getting repairs done to the engine, and the head was already off, so I requested to get the chain changed over anyway.

The chain was $109 through my mechanic. And ANY mechanic should be able to do it. However the time stretch value can only be reset via the MUT3. The SnapOn computer thing (some $5000 computer) didn't have this access.
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Timing chain??????

Postby gman90 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi my evo at its 45000ks service the dealership noted on the invoice that the timing chain was 1/3 third stretched it this a concern ?????? Thz. Gary
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.
Ecutek Custom Tune. 3in TurboXS. Turbo Back Exhaust.

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Allan I sent you pm with my email address could you send me copy of the Mitsubishi paper work to please. Now if no warranty is accepted how much to replace parts please some a rough guess timing chain and what else. Labour and so on thanks Gary
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

timing chain ???

Postby gman90 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 pm

This pyramid with the exclamation mark that detects timing chain problem!!! does it appear in the middle area of the display?? and does kind of flash on and off just like for EG: when you are due for a service it flashes to tell you it is time ?????? can someone let me know THZ Gary

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:29 pm

yes it is

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 am

LOL. The timing chain stretch warning is a major thing, so you can expect a large SERVICE WARNING coming up. Its always good to get them checked by Mitsubishi no matter what warning comes up.

And with parts and labor costs... read through the thread.. its been basically answered. Or otherwise talk to your mechanic, and they can give you a cost to get it done anyway.

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

timing chain ???

Postby gman90 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks Gary.

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Heres an update on what is causing this friggen chain to stretch, after weeks of hunting info on the net

Seems to be OIL is the main reason, "apparently when the oil gets to dirty it cant lubricate the chain properly and causes it to stretch"....LOAD OF CRAP!

If there's oil in the engine within the dip stick range there should be no reason why it would not lubricate the chain properly???....otherwise if dirty oil is what causes it why would the chain fail first and not the weakest link in the motor (bearings)....After speaking with many engineers and mechanics it seems to be something VERY VERY simple, a weak chain design, seems to be not just the design it self but the grade of metals used to make the chain....Redlining and launch mode, seems to be causing it to stretch the most (very quickly) because the chain is on LOAD pretty damn high then off load pretty damn quick then back on...

Now that on/off on/off on/off (launch mode) load on the chain, the chain to be jerk on and off very fast with tension at a force that is enough to slice through your block if it was to snap! Is what causing it to stretch pre-mature....But on the other hand it is also the type of metal used, from the engineering mouth he said mitshi used a cheap grade metal and did not test the chain for how much stretch would occur with that tension generated from the motor....If they did test it to begin with they would never have run into this design flaw....

Now that being said, mitshi only cover the chain under warranty if you are the first owner, serviced every time, no engine mods, and still within the warranty period....

So that being said, once i sort out the clutch im going to be doing the timing chain as precaution....And then out of my own pocket i am going to get the a NEW Old Chain and a NEW New Chain and give them to my engineer for testing to see just how much stretch both chains can take, and use nothing but pure fresh oil running through the chains whilst being put under load to see what happens, then get the fully qualified engineer to right up a report on what caused it to stretch...THEN, i plan on shoving the info into Mitsubishi face to prove to them that oil is not a factor... it was the type of metal used in the chain.....Then use the same toyota lawyers who sued toyota over the accelerator pedal issue a few years back....and have an official recall done to all 4B11 motors and anyone who had to take a single cent out of their pocket for this issue to be re-embursed,

And free servicing on all 4b11 effected with this issue until warranty expires...would be nice

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 am

love your work Scott, look forward to the results

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:31 am

nice. good luck with it. Curious how much it will set you back with all that testing on the engineers

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm

el3ment wrote:nice. good luck with it. Curious how much it will set you back with all that testing on the engineers

Cost of the chains
Cost of the oil

It would take no longer than 20mins to test the stretch....

And a few days to send the metals away for proper testing for what grade metals are used in the 2 chains, then 5mins behind the computer writing a report....

The engerneer is my mate and he works in a facility where the design and test equipment for mining before production.....chains are just 1 of the things they run tests on.....he laughed when i asked him how much it would cost him.....he said a case of beer and call it even....

Return to “Evolution X Performance”