***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

2008 Ralliart Sportback or 2008 Honda Civic Type R

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

ruru
INACTIVE Member Account

2008 Ralliart Sportback or 2008 Honda Civic Type R

Postby ruru » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:42 am

Hey all

I need some advice from some of you, previously I was thinking to get a VR CJ but then decided to get a used 2008 Honda Civic Type R for 21,000 with 85k's in it. Then I spotted a 08 MY Ralliart Sportback equipped with Rockford(not sure about the recaro seats) with 60k's in it for 23,000.

So 21,000 is really stretching my limit to get a car, but I just love the ralliart sportback so much, however that will be another 2k extra.

By putting the 2k extra aside, may I know what is the mileage you get with the ralliart and how much is the servicing and maintenance?

One thing I like about the type r is small and nimble, and importantly is a 6 speed manual :) but the ralliart have so much more potential and more torque as well..

May I know what are your advice? and how well does the ralliart maintain it's value? Would most probably be selling the car end of next year as I'm moving overseas

P.S Please put practicality issue aside, as it is not an issue

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 am

RA without a doubt :)

Used to work with 2 guys who were always honda owners. They both swapped over to lancers and never stopped talking about how much happier they are with them
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR
Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE
2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:05 am

The civic chews more Petrol, and the entire rear suspension sits on a single 'Rear Torsion Bar' (ewww).. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_bar_suspension

Not a fan of torsion bar suspension. Good for ride height adjustment but that's it.
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 am

stupid question, of course people will say a RA, i bet you you ask on a Honda forum they will say the Civic.

but i would say the Civic because it would be more fun to drive than the RA, its cheaper so when you go overseas at the end of the end of the year you will have more money

BUT because you have said you are going overseas, why not just get a cheap car for the time being?

just my opinion, you are the one who has to drive and look at it each day

tencents
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tencents » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 am

I'm bias toward the RA as i own one :lol: I don't think Australia gets Recaro seats as an option. In terms of servicing you'll have to service it every 7500Km, being 2008 model you don't qualify for capped price servcing so prices can vary depending on dealers. I just had my 30,000km serviced +coolant and brake flush, cost just shy of $600. Mileage really depends on how u drive, its definately not conservative on fue(wasn't designed to)l, not to mention RON 98 only, but if u get a RA, petrol shouldn't be something you should worry about, the pleasure and fun driving it compensates for it. Choosing a car is like choosing a wife, just go with ur heart!
- GST basemap
- AMS boostpill
- Works High flow drop in air filter
- Evo X BPV
- UR UICP

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 am

the civic will probably be better around the twisties (more fun) but it lacks the oomph in everyday traffic. ralliart is more comfortable around town too. but.. the civic is more unique.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:56 am

Tencents. That price seems way too high. I have a 2008 ES and the most I've paid for a service has been $274 for all consumables and labour. I'm coming up on my 90,000km soon
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR

Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE

2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

MattyvR
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby MattyvR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 am

Fitter, servicing on any turbo'd car is gonna be a lot more than servicing on the NA version. Also I have heard that servicing on the SST transmissions is reasonably expensive.

As for civic/ralliart, I would choose the ralliart simply because I hate the look of the 2006-2008 type r's. Personal preference though.

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 am

depends on where you go tho! you go to a licensed trusted turbo mechanic it will be alot cheaper than the crappy dealership no change oil change for oil change service kinda thing.

on just a service note it costed abit less than $1000 for the 45 k serivce with the sst fluid and filter replaced. I think its well worth the money for petrol and serivces tho! puts a smile on your face when boost kicks in! =P

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 am

depends on where you go tho! you go to a licensed trusted turbo mechanic it will be alot cheaper than the crappy dealership no change oil change for oil change service kinda thing.

on just a service note it costed abit less than $1000 for the 45 k serivce with the sst fluid and filter replaced. I think its well worth the money for petrol and serivces tho! puts a smile on your face when boost kicks in! =P

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Ralliart. Already did the research on the car market in 2009 and the RA won hands down over the Civic based on my criteria (which gave -ve marks for FWD...). BUT - the civic will be cheaper to buy and cost less to run and will still be a lot of fun until you move.
- 2009 Lancer Ralliart
- Boostpill + Tune
- Upgraded intercooler + pipes
- Turbo XS Catback
- Drift BoV
- Blitz Air Filter

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Since you are only going to keep it a year, you should concentrate on comparing individual vehicles rather than each model - eg, the Civic might be $2000 cheaper, but perhaps its going to need tyres and a major service in that time, whereas you will spend less on the Ralliart.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the Ralliart should still be under warranty in a year, making it easier to sell than the Civic which would presumably be out of warranty.

In terms of driving and features, only you can be the judge.

AdamD
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AdamD » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Well having lived the Type R dream, its a great car. Who ever says they lack power are dreaming. They're a quicker car then the RA. Boost may be fun, but VTEC is better. :)

Also, the interiors in the Hondas are so much better. Better feel, better parts and all that. You sit in it and it feels more expensive than it's 40K price tag. Sit in an RA and it feels like your in a 20K Lancer.

But, it has a digital speedo, can u live with that? And some other funky bits. Personally I think they're both ugly cars from the rear.

Also, the Civic has a timing chain, so no major service bill at 100K's.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Lancers, and I'm a proud owner of one, if I could afford an RA I would get one (Sedan Only).

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”