***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Bonnets

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Bonnets

Postby bd-850 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Since there is ALOT of talk about EVO X bonnets and the like, i have started this thread.

Any bonnet talk, put it here, please put pics and prices and links

Edited in by ofey:

OEM RA Bonnet
You will need 4 parts and the bonnet comes UNPAINTED

1. MI-5900A244 HOOD
RRP= A$1040+
CCJ Price = A$980

2. MI-5903A005HD GARNISH-HOOD AIR OUTLET
RRP= A$196+
CCJ Price = A$170

3. MI-5903A006HD GARNISH-HD AIR OUTL-RH-D-W-GRY
RRP= A$196+
CCJ Price = A$170

4. MI-5903A004WA GARNISH-HD AIR INLET-WHITE/BLK
RRP= A$220+
CCJ Price = A$180

Totals::
RRP = A$1,652.00+
CCJ Price = A$1,500.00
Last edited by bd-850 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l0n3w01f
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby l0n3w01f » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:52 pm

i think i will start things off with some sorta questions as me and some other ppl will prob be thinking bout them if they were to look at them...

Q1: how much do these bonnets help the engine to cool down...
Q2: comparing CF to FB bonnets, is there realli that much difference??
Q3: with some of the mesh on the bonnet being oversized, wouldn't there be water going into the engine bay, by saying that ... would the water going in that way damage the engine?? (sorry if that doesnt make sense...:) )
Q4: with some of the bonnet scope being pretty big...eg: wrx scope... have any1 had any experience with scopes like that and find those getting it the way?
Q5: with the CF bonnets, do they tend to get damage from driving up and down the highway as easy as stock/aftermarket bonnets, or can they get something like a car bar as well?

these are some of the question that i find myself asking sometime... i also know that in some part of the ccj forum have posted the answers here but i just hope that we can put them together...:)

cheers:) TIM

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:16 pm

l0n3w01f wrote:i think i will start things off with some sorta questions as me and some other ppl will prob be thinking bout them if they were to look at them...

Q1: how much do these bonnets help the engine to cool down...
Q2: comparing CF to FB bonnets, is there realli that much difference??
Q3: with some of the mesh on the bonnet being oversized, wouldn't there be water going into the engine bay, by saying that ... would the water going in that way damage the engine?? (sorry if that doesnt make sense...:) )
Q4: with some of the bonnet scope being pretty big...eg: wrx scope... have any1 had any experience with scopes like that and find those getting it the way?
Q5: with the CF bonnets, do they tend to get damage from driving up and down the highway as easy as stock/aftermarket bonnets, or can they get something like a car bar as well?

these are some of the question that i find myself asking sometime... i also know that in some part of the ccj forum have posted the answers here but i just hope that we can put them together...:)

cheers:) TIM

Q1, not alot, The evo and RA bonnet are used to direct air to the turbo i believe to help it cool when not running at load, when at load(on boost) does next to nothing i would say.

Q2, CF lighter less car weight stronger then FG. that about it for differences. looks better

Q3, water getting on the engine would do next to nothing unless your engine is running extremely hot. or if you have a turbo, if it gets directly on a hot turbo. and the amout of water that will get it will be negligible.

Q4, most scoops dont get in the way if you put a WRX scoop on a Lancer someone will murder you most likly, if they do get in the way they are illegal. most scoops go into the bonnet rather then out from the bonnet now anyway.

Q5. they will get as damaged as a normal bonnet from highway driving. you can get vinyl car bras that will attach to a CF bonnet.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Cant really say much about the Evo or Ralliart bonnets but can say abit on CF ones.

#1 and most important: if you buy a CF bonnet you must get bonnet pins. Why? Extremely dangerous at high speeds. Others out there may think 'that guy dont know shit' but a CF bonnet is very light and at highway speeds there is alot of lift happening. CF is strong but not against shock. One bump or jolt could snap the area where the latch is and cause your bonnet to smash up into your windscreen, bounce off your roof and slam into the car behind you. It may not play out like that but if it does, any damage that happens to you or someone else is all on you. Simple. Its a death wish running around with a lighter bonnet without some form of security.

#2 vents. If they are pure decoration only and are covered up it defeats their initial purpose of diverting warm air out of the engine bay. My bonnet is slightly different to an Evo/Ralliart bonnet but did have its lower vents sealed up. As the colder air will come in through the top vent, this air will then come in to the engine bay and reflect off the heat shield and the back of the engine bay and will either go out via the bottom or circle around the engine as the cooler air from your upper front air dam will also be pushing air into the engine bay. The warmer air will keep circulating around the engine as the lower vents are covered up. Remove the cover and it breaks the cycle of warm air constantly circulating around the engine. Thats all in theory.

#3 water in the vents. Unless your driving through a lake or a river you wont have any problems with what little water will come in through the vents. Once running, the heat from the engine bay will evaporate most of the water. Pour water directly into the vents and yes your engine will get wet. The engine cover will let water flow over the front of the engine and not the back. The upper vent are designed in a way where its not easy for them to collect water. Most water will come in through your lower vents.

#4 scoops. Some scoops (height wise) are illegal. Some states will be different to others but if the scoop can cause further injury to a person from an impact then its illegal. I think on average if the scoop extrudes larger than a 20c coin or 20d increase in height or something similar its illegal.

#5 damage. Again CF is strong but not against shock. Shock being an impact. Highway driving you will get the occasional chips and stuff but if something big drops/hits your bonnet it wont bend or dint like a normal bonnet. It will crack and split.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 pm

OEM RA Bonnet
You will need 4 parts and the bonnet comes UNPAINTED

1. MI-5900A244 HOOD
RRP= A$1040+
CCJ Price = A$980

2. MI-5903A005HD GARNISH-HOOD AIR OUTLET
RRP= A$196+
CCJ Price = A$170

3. MI-5903A006HD GARNISH-HD AIR OUTL-RH-D-W-GRY
RRP= A$196+
CCJ Price = A$170

4. MI-5903A004WA GARNISH-HD AIR INLET-WHITE/BLK
RRP= A$220+
CCJ Price = A$180

Totals::
RRP = A$1,652.00+ (or A$1,817.20 GST included for those who don't seem to understand the +)
CCJ Price = A$1,500.00 (GST included already Final Price NO MORE TO PAY)

* Courier should be < A$100.
* No Group Buys possible.
* Require RA VIN to purchase.
Last edited by ofey on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 pm

$1500 , pretty good price if your really keen and it's legal :)
Lancer Evolution 10MR

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:21 pm

cheaper than i thought :P hmmm hurry up tax time :P

does the bonnet come with the sound deadening mat?

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:33 pm

also add couple hundred on top of the 1.5k for painting :)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 pm

bd-850 wrote:cheaper than i thought :P hmmm hurry up tax time :P

does the bonnet come with the sound deadening mat?

Why does everyone find this cheap? Once the painting is done, I suspect you'd be looking at A$2K. That's 1/60th of my next car!!

And no there's no sound deadening mat.

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm

probably due to the perception of OEM parts being really expensive so maybe $2k for a full bonnet is reasonable lol

but i'd look into 2nd hand or aftermarket parts if i were to change the bonnet
Last edited by PYLee on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:52 pm

i guess we find it cheap coz we have always thought it was gona be like 2grand, (minus painting)

PLUS its also LEGAL, not like CF or FG bonnets

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 pm

If I did do this, this would be my most expensive mod ever. And I can't convince myself unless I could get as Whitemonster said a 2nd hand one.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 pm

i dont think we are as lucky as Shane to find a 2nd hand one

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Apprently leevin has one here in Melbourne. In my color (A39) and he's been pussy footing around it for awhile now. Just have to wait for him to pull his finger out... .

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:33 pm

cf hood or FG one i think is the best option if you cant get a second hand one... even cf hoods are around $700-$1200.. just paint them and no one will know :)

Return to “Exterior”