Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: Flat Spot in EVO X ???

Postby McCoy » Sat May 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Kimerik wrote:hey guy's and gals
quick q about the MR

sister in law's mr has a dead spot when you put the foot down on the accelerator, to the point where they wait for a bigger gap in traffic then i need to in the vr from a corner!?!?!

any help would be great, hopefully will have the MR at the Jan 3 meet in Mt Gravatt also

I'm sure this has been covered before, reglardless I'll explain is anyway as it's something I get asked just about every week.

What you are describing is a trait of the SS-T gearbox (which again is a MANUAL gearbox to make sure there is no confusion) and you need to understand why it exhibits that trait and how to work around it.

There is a mechanical delay going from a neutral position to first gear. This is an actual mechanic delay which is a clutch engagement on the first gear on one of the input shafts, more importantly there is a delay that is electronic which is a safeguard allowing information to be relayed making sure everything is happy before it engages a gear.

Think about this when driving a car with a normal Hyrdraulic pull type gearbox. As an example, picture being at a T intersection stationary waiting to turn into the flow of traffic, you see a small gap up ahead after the next car passes you, so you pre-emptively depress the clutch pedal, go from neutral to 1st gear and lightly find the rlease point of the clutch and feather until the car passes, then you accelerate and go. This is what people do everyday with a manual gearbox, it's just second nature. It's a no delay procedure, and it's here where the SS-T will let you down... IF you dont understand it.

I'll go back to the trafic example.

Alternately, you could wait for the car to pass, then go from neutral, clutch in, select gear and go which will in effect take 1 or 2 seconds of a process rather than being pre emptive. Sound Familiar?

The thing is, you can counteract this with an SS-T gearbox. All you need to do is very lightly depress the accelerator while holding the brake, and I mean just enough to engage first gear, you'll feel it change if you pay enough attention. You'll then find the car will be very spritely off the mark in those situations and without delay as it will be in gear as you accelerate. While you can manage this then, It's not all good news as every time you hold the car 'in gear' with the brake, there is friction on the two faces which isnt ideal, hence why I said earlier that you would do this very lightly. I rekcon the SS-T is the type of gearbox that needs some education to those who drive it as it can behave so differently.

Gear to gear there is no doubting the SS-T is a good thing, it's blinding quick and it can do things that can't be duplicated by a human with a hydraulic pull type gearbox in any situation with upshifts or downshifts.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon May 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks Dan. Always doing a good job explaining it :)

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Mon May 17, 2010 3:33 pm

and that's why u just buy a manual :)
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Mon May 17, 2010 3:41 pm

LOL
MY10 Golf R | 5 Door | Rising Blue Metallic | DSG | MDI | Black 19" Talladega | Motorsport Seats | Bluetooth | Sunroof | RNS510 + DYNAUDIO 300W

mr_evo
Alumni
Alumni

Postby mr_evo » Mon May 17, 2010 5:05 pm

spunkybob wrote:and that's why u just buy a manual :)

^^ true 8)
:D I'm back baby! :D
Enkei - HKS - Turbosmart - Cosworth- TMW - Defi - DeatschWerks

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Wed May 19, 2010 4:09 pm

shamrockshirts wrote:
WASABI wrote:What you describing is very typical when automatic turbo cars...

Remember the SST isn't an automatic...

From a technical stand point, no, it's not a conventional auto... But the way it drives in terms of throttle response & how it reacts in normal auto mode are very much the same as a conventional auto tranny... As Dan has highlighted, the reasons for this are not the same as you would experience in a typical auto, but the end result is still the same IMO.

Was in a RA last night & even the driver / owner confirms that it acts like an auto... Drive it in manual mode, & obviously it's a very different story :D

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed May 19, 2010 7:05 pm

WASABI wrote:
shamrockshirts wrote:

From a technical stand point, no, it's not a conventional auto... But the way it drives in terms of throttle response & how it reacts in normal auto mode are very much the same as a conventional auto tranny... As Dan has highlighted, the reasons for this are not the same as you would experience in a typical auto, but the end result is still the same IMO.

Was in a RA last night & even the driver / owner confirms that it acts like an auto... Drive it in manual mode, & obviously it's a very different story :D

Not really...

Auto holds speed in gears, SST slows like a manual
Auto holds on most hills, SST rolls back like a manual
Auto has torque converter lag, SST does not
Auto has torque converter lock up, SST does not
Auto has overdrive, SST does not

They drive totally different to autos... Even my parent's VW with DSG drives just like the SST does.

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 am

SIR-VRX wrote:
WASABI wrote:
shamrockshirts wrote:

Not really...

Auto holds speed in gears, SST slows like a manual
Auto holds on most hills, SST rolls back like a manual
Auto has torque converter lag, SST does not
Auto has torque converter lock up, SST does not
Auto has overdrive, SST does not

They drive totally different to autos... Even my parent's VW with DSG drives just like the SST does.

I'm not debating that the SST isn't mechanically the same as an auto... I'm pointing out that it does have a lot of typical automatic traits.

As you rightly point out, it also does have a lot of it's own traits which are closely related to it's manual roots :)

Btw... All the modern auto's I've driven (Subaru, BMW, Porsche) have all been able to engine break :D

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 am

Keep in mind the SST also has 'crawl' which is designed to mimick an auto.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:23 am

^^^ True true :)

Could be mistaken, but it seems like the MY10 doesn't roll back (Or not as much) as older models.

Can someone confirm this?

Return to “Evolution X Performance”