***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CJ Smart Key not so smart?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:01 pm

CatP wrote:As for locking the keys in the boot... duh. If you've read the manual you'd know the car can recognise when the key is inside or outside of the car. How else would it know to beep at you when the engine is running and you get out of the car with the key in your pocket. Why would someone be able to open the boot from the outside if the key isn't outside the car next to the button?

I think it is worth noting as a warning. On most other cars it is very hard to lock your keys in the boot.

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Well every car I have owned you can't lock the car with a door (including boot) open

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm

CatP wrote:If that happened to me, first thing I would have done was called the Mitsubishi Roadside assistance, rather than NRMA or RACQ. They would certainly know about the smart key and may have even seen the problem before. I imagine they might even be able to test the key or check the battery and other common faults.

My understanding is roadside assistance is the NRMA anyway.

Update: Just popped the battery out of my key to see what happened. When i did that I needed the key to open the doors and the key in the ignition WITH the key fob over the end of it. Obviously the RFID chip only works close up when its over the key in the barrel.

:lol: I'd be curious to see how long the battery lasts and how the system works because the key cant surely be constantly transmitting its code :?

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Just to clarify:
- yes NRMA dispatched by Mitsubishi Roadside Assist. Rang customer service to chat about this problem and had a very polite conversation that "these things happen" even with new cars. Go to Dealer, go directly to dealer, don't bother phoning me again, do not admit any liability, do not expect any compensation.

The NRMA guy was fairly sussed. He did use the key in the fob reversed. He tried disconnecting the car battery "aka master reset button", then boosting the car battery. He pushed back the info to Mitsubishi that the car needed a tow. No complaints there.

Btw: If you have your car in drive, get out (with hand brake on of course.... Mr Safety!) you can't open the boot from the outside. That makes good sense.
CJ RA. Stock!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Ryan_C wrote::lol: I'd be curious to see how long the battery lasts and how the system works because the key cant surely be constantly transmitting its code :?

It doesn't constantly transmit its code. Do all the regular functions but watch the little red light. It does a little flash when: lock/unlock doors, open/shut doors, press ign knob in and turn, open/shut boot, press boot button, turn off car. it's quite interesting acutally.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 pm

yeah but I mean how does it know when to transmit?? there must be an antenna which picks up a signal from the car's antennas and the signal must then trigger it to use the battery power to transmit the code....

and yeah I have noticed that red light....

I'm just curious as to the electronics inside the lil gizmo :D

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 am

HMMMMMMMMMMM BRAAAAIIINNNSS!!!!!
Handy info about he smartkey guys thanks for that
The roadside assistance should be aware of problems like this you would think
Hope I don't find out the hard way
Mitsu wouldn't put a manual key option there if it didn't get you out of trouble,would they?
Cheers Chris - mizta_b
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:51 pm

New discovery. The car keeps on giving me wierd messages. Can't lock by just pressing the black button on the door. Set the alarm off twice today. Car security behaving wierdly.

Ah ha!

The "bad" key is in by bag which I put in the boot. I cant lock the car with the bad key in the boot without pressing the spare fob lock (dash board message comes up with "Confirm Locking"...beeps at me. Cant start the car without pressing "unlock" even though the system allowed me to open the door keyless-ly with the good key.
So the car recognises a key in the boot! Take the bag out of the boot and the good (spare) key works fine, unlock, start, lock via black door button. The "bad" key is still useless apart from confusing the security system when it is in the boot.

Guess there is a scientific experiment coming up on ways to confuse a CJ with 2 good keys.
CJ RA. Stock!

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:09 pm

mizta_b wrote:Mitsu wouldn't put a manual key option there if it didn't get you out of trouble,would they?
Cheers Chris - mizta_b

There is a Manual key option.... It's called "not a VRX" lol.....

Happy I've got a VR hearing this story..... :)
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Ryan_C wrote:yeah but I mean how does it know when to transmit?? there must be an antenna which picks up a signal from the car's antennas and the signal must then trigger it to use the battery power to transmit the code....

and yeah I have noticed that red light....

I'm just curious as to the electronics inside the lil gizmo :D

I'd say the car is actually transmitting the signal. When it gets the right signal back from the smart key it then lets you unlock the door. At least then it is running off the car battery instead of a tiny battery in the smart key constantly.

Though I guess mitsi would be the best people to confirm this.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Tarquin wrote:
mizta_b wrote:Mitsu wouldn't put a manual key option there if it didn't get you out of trouble,would they?
Cheers Chris - mizta_b

There is a Manual key option.... It's called "not a VRX" lol.....

Happy I've got a VR hearing this story..... :)

The failure hear is in the chip inside the key and guess what yours has one to so you're not immune :P

atomik
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby atomik » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 pm

lol interesting thread, I was pointed to here (forgot who suggested it) since I couldn't start my car after filling up the tank! Was embarassing, but only happened the one time, probably a different issue.

Something interesting to note, the workshop manual for the keyless operation system is a hefty 300+ pages long, so it's quite a complex system.
[a]

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 am

I like my keyless entry.. hit unlock to get it... lock when you leave :)
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 pm

wrapped the dodgy key in al-foil. no stray messages anymore!
CJ RA. Stock!

Return to “Electrical”