***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Vinyl Blackouts and Chrome Moulding

Vinyls, Decals & Graphic Ext/Interior Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

nc
INACTIVE Member Account

Vinyl Blackouts and Chrome Moulding

Postby nc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi everyone,

i have been reading through all the howtos and DIYs and can't wait to get my hands on my new lancer and try some of these out.

I know these are two of the more popular and more importantly easy mods for a beginner like myself. I've seen a couple of people ask but i cannot actually find an answer to these questions so i started this thread.......(really sorry if the answers can be found elsewhere)

If i was to blackout the front bumper and use the chrome moulding tape and then decide some time down the track i wanted to take them off, is there an effect on the paint of the car???? Will i damage the paint by sticking these things on and then removing them?

are these easily removable after 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 5 years?

thanks.

nc

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:50 pm

quite alright we are all here to help

Leavng the chrome moulding and vinyl on it will not 'damage' the cars paint or anything, but if you take off the moulding and vinyl after say 5 years, you might see a subtle difference in the paint colour. Not because the vinyl or anything has damaged it, it would because the paint around the chrome and vinyl would have faded, or discoloured slightly.

Thats my therory anyway, someone else might know a bit more about it. But basicly I dont think theres any foundation to your fears =)

The vinyl itself will be fairly easy to remove. Ive actually notice mine starting to crack a little bit just where the licence place used to be mounted. Im planning on re doing it one day, but for the moment its fine =). And as for the chrome, probley the longer it stays on the easier it will be to come off.

Hope that helps
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:46 pm

With Vinyls to take off the old one you just need a heat gun or hair dryer to heat it up a little bit before slowly peeling it off.

As Tads said depending on how the colour fades if it does and how much sun your front end gets, it'll look different to the rest of the car a little bit.
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

xiii
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby xiii » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:42 pm

lol actually the quickest and easiest 'mod' would be to debadge yer car lol...

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:21 am

When I debadged my Magna it was pretty hard, all the sticky stuff wouldn't come off :P

I'll definately be getting a piece of vinyl once my car is fixed up though, I have the chrome moulding already :)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Ricko
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ricko » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:29 am

Hi All, I know this is a very late reply, but hope it helps.

The longer the vinyl or chrome moulding stay on the vehicle the more permenant it will get. i know this as i work in the sign industrie and get this question every day.

If you use a removable black vinyl the manafacturer WILL say that the adhesive will be removable for upto 6 months. as i said above the longer it is on the harder it will be to remove.

With Vinyls to take off the old one you just need a heat gun or hair dryer to heat it up a little bit before slowly peeling it off.

As Tads said depending on how the colour fades if it does and how much sun your front end gets, it'll look different to the rest of the car a little bit.

above quote is correct. Always use a heat gun when removing vinyl.
Yes the paint will change colour, but this i think would be very slight. you would probably only notice it if you know what you are looking for.

Ricko

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 am

I removed mine a few weeks ago after putting on my x-factor airdams, im just about to head out to work, but ill post up a pic later tonight. There is a color difference, but i havnt been able to notice it even when ive looked for it. The only time ive actually seen the color difference is when i took a picture of it if that makes sense..

Ill post up a pic later tonight

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:18 pm

interesting tadz.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Probably with the flash it looks more obvious? That or when taking a picture you concentrate on that area so its more obvious than when viewing the car as a whole is that makes sense lol...
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:01 pm

nothings making sense round here :P

Heres the pics as promised. Had a bit of dirt buildup around it, but that just wiped away with a damp cloth...

Note: this were taken right after i took it off, maybe it was the residue that was causing it to look a different color....

Return to “Vinyls & Graphics”