***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

BLACK OUT KITS!!!

Vinyls, Decals & Graphic Ext/Interior Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

BLACK OUT KITS!!!

Postby drake89 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Heres what i did...

I bought a standard kit off ebay and it turned out rather crappy. So I ripped it off and went to my nearest Sign Maker.

Sign makers pretty much ALWAYS use vinyl to make there signs. I asked if they had some scrap black pieces of vinyl and he went out back and got me a piece about 2mX2m in high gloss black! i pulled my wallet out cause it was a fair amount of vinyl and he sed nah dw about it mate.

So i went home... Cut the vinyl to size... put it on the car all nicely... drove to the bottle-o... grabbed a slab and dropped it to the sign makers and had a beer with them!

So instead of waiting for delivery do this! its cheaper and much faster! PLUS, if you get a chip or a mark on it you can just remove it and use some of the spare.

Sum1 give it a go and let me know so i know its not just the sign makers on the gold coast are nice. haha

Good Hunting!

- Brad

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 am

ooh very nice :)

I need to go to a signmakers soon to get a piece of vinyl, might have a look today if I get some time.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:45 pm

sweet! let me know how u go! =)

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:06 pm

sign-maker eh? will give this a go. Did you follow the DIY guide?
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:17 pm

nup i just went for it. becaus my vinyl is glossy i DEFFINATLY had to use a soft cloth over a credit card to smooth the air out or u scratch the .... outta it. =)

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:42 am

Meh... sign writer i got it from had a piece about 1m X 0.6.... but it cost me a fortune!!! Matte black 7 yr. of course...

$30... gg me... living in the eastern sububs of Melbourne.

Got it from MCS in Blackburn.

-EXALTD-

Marsh
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Marsh » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 pm

i got about 3m (not sure how wide it was) from my local sign writer for about $20, i did the centre and lower part of my front bumper plus made up some spoiler accents and still have about a third of it left....

way cheaper than ebay, not to mention OEM

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 pm

yeah - 7 year stuff is generally too thick to curve around the top and bottom of the bumper (thus the oem 10 year one is cut-short of the edge as it can't be rolled around like the 3-5 year stuff)

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:45 pm

well it seems the sign writers on the gold coast are the most generous. lol

Marsh
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Marsh » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:57 pm

i think my mistake was asking for a certain amount rather than seeing if they had any off cuts first...

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:01 pm

yeah. ask for scrap or offcuts about the size of our centre piece (indicate with hands to signmaker!)

shannon64
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: BLACK OUT KITS!!!

Postby shannon64 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 pm

drake89 wrote:Heres what i did...

I bought a standard kit off ebay and it turned out rather crappy. So I ripped it off and went to my nearest Sign Maker.

Sign makers pretty much ALWAYS use vinyl to make there signs. I asked if they had some scrap black pieces of vinyl and he went out back and got me a piece about 2mX2m in high gloss black! i pulled my wallet out cause it was a fair amount of vinyl and he sed nah dw about it mate.

So i went home... Cut the vinyl to size... put it on the car all nicely... drove to the bottle-o... grabbed a slab and dropped it to the sign makers and had a beer with them!

So instead of waiting for delivery do this! its cheaper and much faster! PLUS, if you get a chip or a mark on it you can just remove it and use some of the spare.

Sum1 give it a go and let me know so i know its not just the sign makers on the gold coast are nice. haha

Good Hunting!

- Brad
my brothers a sign writer he has done heaps of vinyl work to my lancer vrx...looks so cool...all carbon fibre looking..im thinking of doing the whole bonnet soon.

shannon64
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: BLACK OUT KITS!!!

Postby shannon64 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 pm

shannon64 wrote:
drake89 wrote:Heres what i did...

Good Hunting!

- Brad
my brothers a sign writer he has done heaps of vinyl work to my lancer vrx...looks so cool...all carbon fibre looking..im thinking of doing the whole bonnet soon.
there is a black vinyl mesh u can use to cover your tail lights...

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:33 pm

JazzyB wrote:yeah - 7 year stuff is generally too thick to curve around the top and bottom of the bumper (thus the oem 10 year one is cut-short of the edge as it can't be rolled around like the 3-5 year stuff)

Hmmmm.
Interesting that you say that.
I use Avery vinyls and the cheaper 500 EG series vinyl which has an outdoor vertical life span of 3 years is 90 microns thick and the adhesive is semi-permanet and it's chemically resistant to humidity, corrosion, water, mild acids, mild alkalias, oils, grease, aliphatic solvents, motor oils, heptane and JP-4 fuel . It is also not as easy to work with for Auto body wraps as it doen't like to strecth as stay put!

The Avery 700 premium film has a vertical life span of 7 years, 90 microns thick and has a permanent acrlic solvent based adhesive and is chemically resistant to humidity, corrosion, water, deisel oil and antifreeze.

The Avery 800 premium cast has a vertical life of up to 7 years, 90 microns thick and has a permanent acrylic based adhesive and is chemically resistant to humidity, corrosion and water

The top of the range Avery 900 supercast has avertical life of up to 10 years, 50 microns thick and has a permanent acrylic based adhesiveand is chemically resistant to humidity, corrosion, water, sea water, gasoline, deisel oil, transformer oil, antifreeze, SAE motor oil, kerosene and detergent.

This is what I use for auto vinyl body wraps and graphics as it is the THINNEST and MOST pliable to work with.
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:55 pm

lukeaday wrote:The top of the range Avery 900 supercast has avertical life of up to 10 years, 50 microns thick and has a permanent acrylic based adhesiveand is chemically resistant to humidity, corrosion, water, sea water, gasoline, deisel oil, transformer oil, antifreeze, SAE motor oil, kerosene and detergent.

This is what I use for auto vinyl body wraps and graphics as it is the THINNEST and MOST pliable to work with.

Does it come in chrome ?
Does any of the chrome vinyl that is available stretch(at least a little) ?

This is the stuff I used on my cars front bumper:

Return to “Vinyls & Graphics”