***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Homemade side spats

Vinyls, Decals & Graphic Ext/Interior Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Mitchell
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Homemade side spats

Postby Mitchell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:22 pm

So my first concern after buying my lancer was protection. I'd made a reasonable investment and I wanted to look after it. Unfortunately for us, as with all cars, there are some minor design faults upon production. One of the major issues with a CJ is that the front wheels extend further than the chassis exposing the side rear panels to stone chips.

There isn't anything special here just my DIY for stopping most of those awful chips y'all are experiencing on the rear panels.
There seems to be a sweet spot which cops most of the brunt, this is to our advantage surprisingly.

I wouldn't have posted this, however I have received several compliments from none CJ drivers and at least one whom wants me to help him out putting these on his corolla.

Once again I'm going to harp on about 3m Di-noc.
Clear vinyl is definitely an option though personally I hate how it builds up dirt around the edges.
I didn't work from anything I had seen, just measured the rough shape then proceeded to add reasonable curves to the corners.
Bear in mind this is my first go so the general shape is not perfect.

This isn't the most beautiful mod especially for non-white CJ's, however every time I accelerate on gravel/coarse road I have no thought in the back of my mind about chippage, as I know there is protection. That means a lot to me considering the soft paint work.

If anyone wants the exact sizes etc, I would be more than happy to measure them.

This post is now first placed on a google search for "Homemade side spats" You rock CJClub!!
Everyone please appreciate to medium you are given, the search engine results that this site gives are second to none. This has come from our predecessors hard work. I thank them and you should too.
Last edited by Mitchell on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 pm

:D

Mitchell
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mitchell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Mitch wrote::D
Thanks mate! Turns out it doesn't look too bad, my first concern though is putting some meat between the rocks and my paint.
Most impacts hit in that exact portion, I've received very few outside it. Under it though there must be at least 25 chips.

Return to “Vinyls & Graphics”