***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Dealer says rotors warped on my Evo X. But $3k?!

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Wed May 18, 2011 1:11 pm

If you drive an Evo X , check out KNS Brakes. They have a great package deal on both front and rear DS2500 pads for only $290
Lancer Evolution 10MR

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Wed May 18, 2011 1:33 pm

$290 is pretty cheap -comparable to US prices not including shipping!

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm

thanks jeff

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Wed May 18, 2011 2:43 pm

thanks lee

Red EVOX
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Red EVOX » Thu May 19, 2011 10:52 am

Im running ELIG 2021 compound pads (street) in the front of my X and for the price they are better than the factory fitted ferodo pads in there stopping ability (especially when cold) as well as much less brake dust and no damn annoying pad squeal.

For the club track use or constant very hard hills driving i change over to ELIG RS709 front pads

Glad pad changes are damn easy on the brembos, it takes longer to take the wheels off than it does to swap the pads over lol.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Red EVOX wrote:Im running ELIG 2021 compound pads (street) in the front of my X and for the price they are better than the factory fitted ferodo pads in there stopping ability (especially when cold) as well as much less brake dust and no damn annoying pad squeal.

For the club track use or constant very hard hills driving i change over to ELIG RS709 front pads

Glad pad changes are damn easy on the brembos, it takes longer to take the wheels off than it does to swap the pads over lol.

Factory fitted ferodo pads? Are they OEM?

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Red EVOX
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Red EVOX » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 am

JaCe wrote:
Factory fitted ferodo pads? Are they OEM?

Yes they were the stock dusty crappy squealy OEM pads that i removed at around 12000kms and once the brake dust had been cleaned off of them they clearly said "FERODO" on the backing plates.

I'll see if i still have them sitting in my shed (i got a feeling i threw them out though) and will take a pic

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Do not take your car to ANY dealership service center. So long as you get a receipt for your service your warranty will still be valid. Toyota tried to rip my mother off last month. She drives a 2010 Toyota Camrey and took it in for the 20,000kms service. this is what they put on the bill

new brake discs
new brake pads
new brake fluid
new brake lines
new brake booster
new tires
new wheel nuts
new oil filter
new oil
new air filter
new fuel filter
new fuel injectors
new spark plugs
new power steering belts

Total $4,742.07 incl labour and gst

This one tops it all.

( install new fuel injector cleaner. poured into petrol. Cost for 200mls of nulon injector cleaner $178 plus $211 labour.)..I went down as soon as my mum gave the phone call. I said to the service dept. Im only paying for oil, oil filter and the labour aprx $100 and hour. The manager said im not getting the car back. Then i showed him the fuel injector cleaner they had on their own shelf for $24.99 and they charged her $178. After i showed him this and threatened to call MTA he took us to who serviced the car.
It was a first year apprentice who wrote up what needed to be done and got the 3year apprentice to do it. he said the log book says to inspect brakes, tyres etc..... so we changed them because they looked dirty to me. thats why we changed them. (this was the 1st year speaking).. We asked to look at the stuff changed and i got the head mechanic to look at them. He appologiesd to us and ended up sacking both the 1st and 3rd year apprentice. And we got all the other stuff for free..

Half the time at dearlership service places they dont have a clue what there doing

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:17 pm

If they do that much work without the owners approval, they need to have there asses kicked... not only the mechanics, but the manager in charge, he should have known better.

Had my DC5R serviced by honda for the first 100,000km... Everytime a part came up for replacing, they called for my approval first...
Highest I ever paided was $1000, that included a major service + timing chain and tensioner... They always told me after each service if any parts would require replace at the next service...

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Apprentices and all other employees are to be supervised.

Any error is the Managers fault not his workers, FULL STOP!

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:31 pm

i say scotts story is full of sh!t anyway.

there is no way on earth someone will be that stupid, plus questions would be asked when he puts in to order all that stuff

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:37 pm

scott_drake wrote:Do not take your car to ANY dealership service center.

So basically because of a bad experience no one should take their car to any dealer??

I agree that they are more expensive than other places, but I have had my car at Ultratunes etc where they have ended up not using my oil when requested. Emptying the brake reservoir and filling it up rather than a full flush etc.

I have my Ford serviced by Sinclair Ford now and they are awesome. Helps that I get fleet servicing too.

An apprentice would not be invoicing all those service items. It is a service advisors job to do all the invoicing and with only 20,000kms on the clock I find it very hard to believe that an adviser would bill almost 1/4 the cost of a brand new corolla at a 20,000km service without investigating.

The point I am making it is a bit of a gross generalisation to say don\'t go to any dealer for service.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 am

Ok. So dealers do try to sell things - and because most dealers don't machine brakes, they would prefer that you didn't know a thing, trust them, and then change the brake pads and rotors together, of which they make more money :) Everyone has to make their bread and butter somehow.

They porobably saw/heard some small matter that was enough to get their attention to pull out the dial indicator and vernier caliper to measure and see if they could make some money :) And found that it was just warped enough to try and sell you rotors and pads. But yes, a machine will probably have been enough.

As to Scott, having worked for Toyota as an apprentice - I think it's a little farfetched. Firstly, if it was a new 2010 Camry, it should have a servicing cap of $130 for the 20,000km service which screws Toyota dealers in the butt anyway, because they don't make any money out of it.

Then - 20,000km service is a minor service. Where 200,000km service is a major. Possible mistake? But very farfetched as well.

Also, injector cleaner is normally done by a device that shoots directly through the fuel lines into the injectors and then returns fuel into the fuel tank. Hence why there is an 'easy off' clip holding in the fuel lines to the injectors. By no means do we use the Nuloninjector cleaner stuff in the workshop, only selling through parts for the public.

Amoungst other things, it is Toyota policy to call the customer before any work is done. Approvals must be gained in order to do the work. It is under the Toyota code of conduct - go read it.

Final point to note is that the service advisors do the costings on labour and the parts team (back counter) does the parts costings to the particular Repair Order (RO) so mistakes should NOT be made. And indescreptancies will be picked up - and many do happen, but are fixed in the dealership I worked at.

So all in all, I am of the opinion that it is quite farfetched.

Now, back on topic.

Return to “Brakes”