***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

ABS and Brake Assist.......TESTED!!!

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:03 pm

The best defence is still on the driver. These aids are only meant for unavoidable circumstances.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

jukebox_hero
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby jukebox_hero » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:13 pm

dazzait wrote:Near the Wollies servo on Brook St Muswellbrook

Also good to hear from someone in the local area. I think I've seen your car in the car park near Eagle Boys Pizza.

That roundabout isn't great hey, I was only up there last week for training, and I used to work in the DET office up the road..

Which Eagle Boys? Wouldn't doubt it lol, Vote 1 Full Size Large!
Lancer gooooone

Lucky Dog
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lucky Dog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:00 pm

I know this a pretty old thread but only just came across it. I had an almost identical situation in mine at the Toowong round-a-bout just after I got it. Same thing, I think the 'A' pillar on the CJ is a bit thicker than most cars I've driven, combined with a chunky mirror and high door sill, I did not see a Barina coming from my right until the last second. I was quite impressed with how quickly the car pulled up from about 50kmh. Scared the hell out of my missus who'd never felt ABS kick in before. At the end of the day there was no paint swapped and I've learned to look either side of the CJ's 'A' pillar to see around it before entering round-a-bouts now.

I've since encouraged her to find an empty back street and practice stopping hard enough to get the ABS to fully activate as I've been in a car with a friend who panicked when hers kicked in and took her foot off the brake thinking something was wrong. That hurt!

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:05 pm

^ I'm sure there are driver training courses which let you do that. I remember doing something like that at HDTC or something back in year 11... but not sure if they let outsiders try it with their own car.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Lucky Dog
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lucky Dog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:33 pm

JaCe wrote:^ I'm sure there are driver training courses which let you do that. I remember doing something like that at HDTC or something back in year 11... but not sure if they let outsiders try it with their own car.
Cheers for the info but she's all good now. The wife's had some practice with heavy braking and is a lot more confident and I'm happier knowing that she's less likely to do the wrong thing in the event ABS kicks in.

Blackhorse
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Blackhorse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Hey guys, I've just had some problems with the brake today. Not sure if it was ABS kicking in. Well, I was in the car park and just started the car, put in D gear and proceed straight and steer left in the lane.

Now, when I pressed the brake to steer, it was all hardened, like in a brake lock up state. I could not stop the car at all and it moved straight ahead. I didn't get the reflex to handbrake at that moment.

Thankfully, ahead of me was another car park lot (empty!!) and a kerb. So I was lucky enough to have the car stop by hitting the kerb ahead.

A close shave! What do you reckon happened? Anyone experienced that before?

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Blackhorse wrote:Hey guys, I've just had some problems with the brake today. Not sure if it was ABS kicking in. Well, I was in the car park and just started the car, put in D gear and proceed straight and steer left in the lane.

Now, when I pressed the brake to steer, it was all hardened, like in a brake lock up state. I could not stop the car at all and it moved straight ahead. I didn't get the reflex to handbrake at that moment.

Thankfully, ahead of me was another car park lot (empty!!) and a kerb. So I was lucky enough to have the car stop by hitting the kerb ahead.

A close shave! What do you reckon happened? Anyone experienced that before?

The early 08-09 models had a recall on the brakes for not working at slow speeds, report it to mitsubishi may be faulty.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 pm

the problem that you experienced is the car lost vacuum pressure to the brake booster, u need to get it into Mitsi ASAP, u will still have brakes but they will be super hard to push

that is good that u had an empty park to stop in, hope it didnt damage the car tho

OHH YEA!!!!

Lucky Dog
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lucky Dog » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 am

AJjnr86 wrote:the problem that you experienced is the car lost vacuum pressure to the brake booster, u need to get it into Mitsi ASAP, u will still have brakes but they will be super hard to push

that is good that u had an empty park to stop in, hope it didnt damage the car tho

Had that in my old Falcon. Next step from there was hit the brakes and pedal went to the floor. Turned out to be the diaphragm split. Get it fixed ASAP.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:25 am

I don't know such things but I'd agree with these guys. When your car is completely off, pump your brakes and the pedal will harden up, I bet it will feel the same (and is the same as what happened).

Obviously brake failure is a serious problem. Get it fixed ASAP for everybody's sake. :)

Going for your handbrake is a very good instinct to have but unfortunately its a hard one to develop :( Probably even harder in an auto (the simpler go/stop nature of it).

I hope the curb did the car no harm? If it did you should push for mitsu to fix that up too.

Blackhorse
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Blackhorse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll definitely need to get that fixed at mitsubishi.

I had a thought that I may have 'mistakenly' engaged in N instead of D, but even that, the brake should have worked...

Yeah, I was lucky, there was just a kerb ahead. Heard some scrape sounds at the bottom of the bonnet, but no visual marks.

Keep you guys posted.

Blackhorse
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Blackhorse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Car's been checked at the dealer's: No problem I was told...

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Blackhorse wrote:Car's been checked at the dealer's: No problem I was told...

Did they mention anything on top of that? Doesn't sound reasonable to write it off if it's a crucial element to a vehicle's safety, both for you and others.

Return to “Brakes”