***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Brake Pads Squeeling/Air in them already?!

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Brake Pads Squeeling/Air in them already?!

Postby Mystique » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Okay, So over the past few weeks, I've slowly noticed that my brakes have air in them :S they make a weird noise when I drive up my driveway (It's slightly hilly..) Well at least that's what I think it is :S I could be wrong on that part, but the Fiancee seems to think there is air in them :S

Regardless... Today, driving to work, I had to come to a complete stop because of some idiot in a 4WD cutting in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes...

Ever since, the brakes have been making a squeeling noise everytime I slow down :| They have like 6000ks on them?...... Should this even be happening? :S If not... Is this something I should take to Mitsubishi?

Any help would be appreciated <3
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:05 pm

If they are new pads they may not be bedded in correctly.

If they are old pads they may be down to their wear indicator (think similar to tires tread wear)

If your rotors are old and maybe slightly warped it would be the sound of uneven pad\rotor wear.

also squeaking can be from water on the pads and when it removes dust\rust from the rotors but in that instance should go away after a while.
as the pads heat up and rotors too.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 pm

they were brand new on the car when I bought it 3 months ago :S ... Well... I'd hope so anyway.. :S Like I said, car has done 6000ks in 3 months :|

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:08 pm

The squeal is the pad being worn down. They put metallic specks in them to make them squeal against the disc, so you know when the pads are due for replacement.

Air in the brake lines is a BAD thing. You wont get optimal breaking and the pedal might feel a bit slushy.

Sounds like you need new pads.

denzza
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby denzza » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Take it to your local Mitsubishi dealer and get them to check it out. Or if you have time. Look through the wheels and check how much meat you got on your pads :D
AUSTRALIA'S FIRST 4B11T ENGINE SWAP ON E85
FULL EVO X TURBO SETUP
APEXI ARC DESIGN INTAKE | RA BRAKE SETUP | APEXI N1 EVO -R 3" CAT BACK | UR CAT |
TUNED BY BEEBLE | EXEDY H/D CLUTCH
BC RACING BR COILOVERS

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 pm

The X wrote:The squeal is the pad being worn down. They put metallic specks in them to make them squeal against the disc, so you know when the pads are due for replacement. Air in the brake lines is a BAD thing. You wont get optimal breaking and the pedal might feel a bit slushy. Sounds like you need new pads.

How often am I supposed to replace the pads? :P Should it be this soon? :S Is that something I should get Mitsubishi to pay for? :S

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Mystique wrote:[quote:7742944de1=The X]The squeal is the pad being worn down. They put metallic specks in them to make them squeal against the disc, so you know when the pads are due for replacement. Air in the brake lines is a BAD thing. You wont get optimal breaking and the pedal might feel a bit slushy. Sounds like you need new pads.[/quote:7742944de1] How often am I supposed to replace the pads? :P Should it be this soon? :S Is that something I should get Mitsubishi to pay for? :S
im still on orginal pads at 145 thousdand only used 40%
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Mystique wrote:[quote:7742944de1=The X]The squeal is the pad being worn down. They put metallic specks in them to make them squeal against the disc, so you know when the pads are due for replacement. Air in the brake lines is a BAD thing. You wont get optimal breaking and the pedal might feel a bit slushy. Sounds like you need new pads.[/quote:7742944de1] How often am I supposed to replace the pads? :P Should it be this soon? :S Is that something I should get Mitsubishi to pay for? :S
it not air ... its a new car ... there will be heaps of meat on them because they have only done 6 thousand k ... my bet is u have a stone caught in between the wall of the rota and the pad in the groove that lets brake dust out ... thats my bet
1998 MR lancer

2009 CJ lancer sportback

2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup

2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:58 pm

If you have only done 6000kms on them and they are new pads I dont think they are new pads.. Most pads get changed at 80,000km. I dont think air in your brakes makes them squeak its more of a safety issue of your brakes giving out and going to the floor. Chances are they are at the wear indicator.. Or maybe there wasnt any grease put on the outside of the pad. Air in the brake lines is something completely different from what i know.

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:55 pm

:/ they be brand new!

Sooooo where do I go from here :/

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Go to a mechanic and tell them they are squeaking.

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

kalt
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby kalt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:01 am

How loud is the squeal Tiff?

Worn pads hitting the wear indicators will make a loud grinding noise, very noticable, very embarrassing.

By your description it sounds like a light squeal when you're light braking, inconsistent and random at times. I believe that's normal, some people like it Because Racecar.
Signature For Lease - Apply Within

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:13 am

What pads do you have? Cheap pads are normally a metallic compound and make a squeal sound when light braking because they use metal shavings to slow you down. Performance and race pads are the same, they use a ceramic and metal compound to get the best stopping power, they squeal because the compound is very dense and hard. Quiet pads are normally a softer compound made mainly of a ceramic compound. Bendix GCT, Ferodo Thermal Quiets just to name a few are ceramic pads designed to be as quiet as possible.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Kyrus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:24 am

squealing doesnt sound like air in the line, does you padel feel weird? (extra long travel compare to normal/soft and spongy?)

some pads squeals, u just have to deal with it, there are anti squeal shims or jell that you can put on, and just make sure the pad is installed correctly.
燒

Tweak
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tweak » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:26 am

Id say they have glazed over and not bedded in. Did you have the rotors machined cos this can cause it to happen aswell
I see it alot at work
easy method is remove pads and with a file go over the edges of the pads and file them down and also clean out the center groove line if the pads has them. The go to abit of rough concrete ( use the gutter cos it makes a mess) and rough the pad face up abit by going in a figure 8 motion.

Wack them in and re-bed them in
Drive to about 40km and press the brake slowly till you stop. drive to 60 for about 30sec and stop slowly then drive for about a min to cool and brake again.
Slamming the brakes in this period will glaze em over or hold the brakes on will cook em.

If this fails then new pads and have the rotors skimmed

Return to “Brakes”