***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Brakes, brakes, running out of brakes.

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 am

When I can get together some dosh later this year I plan on getting EBC redstuff and some slotted rotors for the front I think, my experience has been that the rears are adequate and it's only the fronts that are lacking.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 am

I might just buy some neons instead!!!!

Only kidding.

Red stuff take about 2000km to bed in apparently..only thing putting me off them at the moment. Slotted rotors just wear down the brake pads quicker and are only needed if you're tracking your car for extended periods of time really...though if they were cheap enough it might be worth looking into.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:29 pm

$290 there abouts for a set of RDA slotted rotors or $550 for grooved and dimpled RDA rotors.

Yeah thats the point, they wear the pad quicker, but more braking force, not to mention it lets the gases escape and provides added cooling. Oh and yeah redstuff has a long bedin time (upto 2500km) but I think the outcome should be worth it. Our cars are quite heavy to pull up and even 15-20mins on Wakefield park will put some decent heat into your brakes and I dont know that green stuffs would handle that given my OEM pads cooked up nicely??

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Mine cooked up down Macquarie Pass so yeah...stock are woeful.

Have you gotten any prices on red stuff yet? If you're ringing around for prices at any point ask for a price on 2 sets cos I will def grab some.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:22 pm

do i hear a group buy then??

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:46 pm

You would of got them a bit too hot on the pass, but you didn't cook them... Mine were leaving black scorch marks on the rotor as they had got that hot they melted the bonding agent and it had seeped through the pad and was burning onto the rotor :lol:

$175 for front red stuff and rears aren't in the country, they need to be specially ordered and will take months! :|

But with our strong dollar I am looking at sourcing from the US. However I am in two minds, as I have a set of Bendix HDs on atm, so considering waiting until later in the year and then buy new rotors and pads once I've worn the Bendix's out a bit more :lol:

ZERO COOL
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ZERO COOL » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:49 pm

Ryan_C wrote:When I can get together some dosh later this year I plan on getting EBC redstuff and some slotted rotors for the front I think, my experience has been that the rears are adequate and it's only the fronts that are lacking.

EBC's are good. When I do my new brake setup thats what im going with.

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Mitsiman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:20 pm

We market, use and recomend the green stuff pads. THey are fantastic and most of the track cars we work on, use the reds or yellows for the serious cars.

For you guy's on stock cars on the street, I recomend the greens which are perfect. I use greens on my magna for street driving.

If your in perth, we do stock the EBC range as well.
For urgent replies to PM's contact via phone

spareparts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby spareparts » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:34 pm

i used ebc green stuff on my statesman and didnt like it, i would put bendix ultimate's or ferodo formula's, i now the seven hills cops got a ralliart and the got ultimate's in the front and bendix 4wd in the rear from a pajero. the rear calapers are differnt from the ralliart to the vrx but fronts are the same, even consider a set of bda slotteds. i will not put drilled on a street car i have seen them crack
the voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas :D:D
..... If streets could talk they would Beg For Mercy!!! 151.6kw & 330nm @ all 4 paws .....

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Mitsiman wrote:We market, use and recomend the green stuff pads. THey are fantastic and most of the track cars we work on, use the reds or yellows for the serious cars.

For you guy's on stock cars on the street, I recomend the greens which are perfect. I use greens on my magna for street driving.

If your in perth, we do stock the EBC range as well.

I'm told Greens won't withstand the temperature the pads can get to on a track day??

Spareparts when I checked earlier this year Bendix don't do ultimates for our car.

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Mitsiman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:58 pm

greens are fine if you are only doing limited track work, but if it is more than say, 5 hard laps, then yes you need to go to reds or yellows. Greesn would start to brake fade
For urgent replies to PM's contact via phone

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Yeah well I'd be doing 10 laps I think in a session at Wakefield (150kph down the main straight and into a hair pin and if you push it you are on the brakes alot for the rest of the course) and the CJ is a heavy car to pull up so I'll still look at Reds i think....

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Use some Ferodo pads and they where horrible.

Bendix pads worked ok but they don't make the ones I got.

Last set where EBC green, took a solid 1000km to bed in properly and for the squeeks to go away but after that they where very good.

Hawk make some really good pads ( and would be m choice ) not sure if they make them for the Lancer though. :?
Love that car!

spareparts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby spareparts » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:34 pm

well thats what i was told landers put on the cop ralliart from the work shop control which i work along side for 12 months
the voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas :D:D

..... If streets could talk they would Beg For Mercy!!! 151.6kw & 330nm @ all 4 paws .....

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:57 pm

spareparts wrote:well thats what i was told landers put on the cop ralliart from the work shop control which i work along side for 12 months

I talked to people from both Ferodo and Bendix in early march and they had nothing for the VRX (which supposedly has the same front pads as the RA) and nothing planned in the near future. A brake workshop down here said that they could get Ferodo performance pads custom made but it'd be like $400-500 a set. Maybe they sourced a custom set of pads for the front...

Return to “Brakes”