***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

removing brake calipers for painting

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

RAY CURRAN
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby RAY CURRAN » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:21 am

could anybody recommend who i should go to to get my brake calipers painted or recommend some body in brisbane i just never get the time to do it myself

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Mate, you need some clamps if you want to take off the caliper for powder coating. It is not difficult, but yes, either fully bleed the brakes or clamp it up to prevent air getting in.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:46 pm

@exaltd: I think you're not reading this correctly. If RAY doesn't have the time to even take off the wheel to paint the calipers, what makes you think he has the time to bleed brakes and clamp it and then powder coat them?

Answer the question.
He's asking WHO can do it for him.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 pm

Ok :) delete these 2 posts would you? My bad.... did not read that far :P Didn't see there was a second page.

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:27 am

I no F1 wheels paint ur brakes when u get wheels thru them, u could true them, or mayb try phone a few mechanics or body shops up there. I'm not too familiar with bris, but mayb someone up that way will no a good place

But give F1 wheel and tyres a call and c what they can do for u

Hope this helps Ray

OHH YEA!!!!

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:37 am

Can't you just paintthem while still fitted to the car?
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:49 am

Yes you can.

I painted my stock calipers while on the car. I did take them off the discs, but the brake hose still remained on. I just supported them on a box while I painted them with a brush.

I also painted my RA brakes while they were off the car. I did this the proper way. I probably should have powder coated them. I actually never thought of it. I am sure one of my customers would have done me a favour. I did spray paint them. I removed the pistons and rubbers. Then came the tedious task of taping them up. This took a few hours alone. Then I sand blasted them and then spray painted them. After the paint was dry I removed the tape and assembled the calipers back together carefully. Then they were fitted to the car. Importantly I bleed the brakes.

Please do not attempt to work on your brakes unless you know what you are doing.

Kimmy
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Kimmy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:12 am

I painted mine while they were still on the car. Only thing I removed was the wheel :P I had to tape everything up though and that took a really long time. Then I sprayed them with the caliper paint.

:|

Return to “Brakes”