***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

suggestion on brake pads and rotors

All Brake Modifications.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Darren, how are your brakes doin after all this time?

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 pm

ive read some pretty good reviews on the R1concepts. I'm tempted to get them myself
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 pm

anghel132 wrote:Darren, how are your brakes doin after all this time?

I wouldn't advise you to ge tthe eline range. I just got a set of DBA 2201s for teh front and will be replacing them ASAP. The rears don't work as hard so they'll probably be ok for a while, but eventually I'll put the stock ones back on. $300 experiment that failed as far as I can see. Just looking at hte DBA you can see the difference in quality. If you went the R1 Concepts I'd go top of the range, and pray

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah I think I'll go DBA as well. RA fronts and VRX backs.. Just not sure what rotors to get just yet..

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 am

If you can find a set of RA calipers that would be a good way to go. Rare as though. DBA 4417 or 2422 from 09 on. The rears I'm not sure you can do much with, the Aspire rotors being the same size as VRX. If you saw the condition of my normal brake lines after they came off, you'd want braided lines, and dot 4 fluid is a must. For hard track driving pads in the plus 550 deg range

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 am

Yuuup. Getting the RA calipers in a few months. EBC Redstuff pads for the front and we'll seeabout redstuff pads (or greenstuff if not) for the rears.

Sent a message to a DBA stockist about rotors, 4417s good for street driving as well as track yeah? (Or does that not matter and I'm mistaking the whole track vs street question for pads again?)

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 am

It would be nice to be able to have 2 sets of rotors and pads, one for track 1 for street. Impractical as it sounds, if you're still driving on hte street you have to compromise a bit. Proper track rotors tend to operate best at higher temps that won't be achieved at 60kmh. The rotors I just got really do look high quality and I think fit the middle of teh road selection rather tha cross drilled slotted carbon fibre yada yada. Good braking combines all elements of ewverything that joins the car to the road and having htem matched. Moreso for track. Pads are a personal choice as far as I'm concerned, I've read posts on many forums where people think EBC are overpriced for teh performance they give. Do a search on here you'll find a few, where other people love them. You could get bogged down in these decisions forever, best to just try it out as I did with the US roors. If you make a mistake, well, it's only money

amongor
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby amongor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:53 pm

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/in ... ts_id=1334

Anyone tried these before? Seems like a good idea, but a bit pricey
2009 2.0L RX Manual - Evo X Style Bodykit + Wing - Volk CE28N's - Varis Front Carbon Lip - Custom Axle Back Exhaust - DBA T2 Rotors - EBC Greenstuff Pads - Tein S Tech Springs

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:11 pm

darren1011 wrote:It would be nice to be able to have 2 sets of rotors and pads, one for track 1 for street. Impractical as it sounds, if youre still driving on hte street you have to compromise a bit. Proper track rotors tend to operate best at higher temps that wont be achieved at 60kmh. The rotors I just got really do look high quality and I think fit the middle of teh road selection rather tha cross drilled slotted carbon fibre yada yada. Good braking combines all elements of ewverything that joins the car to the road and having htem matched. Moreso for track. Pads are a personal choice as far as Im concerned, Ive read posts on many forums where people think EBC are overpriced for teh performance they give. Do a search on here youll find a few, where other people love them. You could get bogged down in these decisions forever, best to just try it out as I did with the US roors. If you make a mistake, well, its only money

Cheers Darren, I'll have to have a look thanks for the info.

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:11 pm

amongor wrote:http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_97&products_id=1334 Anyone tried these before? Seems like a good idea, but a bit pricey

Oooh, are those just rotors and pads or do they include calipers as well? The photo looks like it has some but I dunno.. interesting.

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Is the "GT" equivalent to the VRX? and man they sell some nice rims there..

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 pm

The kit is an add on to the existing calipers that allows for larger rotors and pads. I wouldn't touch it, might need an engineers cert. The GT is the American version of the VRX

amongor
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby amongor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:59 am

darren1011 wrote:The kit is an add on to the existing calipers that allows for larger rotors and pads. I wouldnt touch it, might need an engineers cert. The GT is the American version of the VRX

wouldnt touch it as in wouldnt buy them? or just not work on them yourself? Just im trying to look for a decent brake upgrade and this one seemed pretty good
2009 2.0L RX Manual - Evo X Style Bodykit + Wing - Volk CE28N's - Varis Front Carbon Lip - Custom Axle Back Exhaust - DBA T2 Rotors - EBC Greenstuff Pads - Tein S Tech Springs

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:33 pm

I wouldn't buy them, I've done my USA experiment, FAIL. To me it looks like a half measure. Might as well hunt for RA calipers which i know are hard to find, but are still the best option for better calipers, unless you go the whole hog and find the cash for Brembo's etc

Return to “Brakes”