Moderator: Senior Moderators

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: Brake Rotor/Pads Recommendations?

Postby bumblebee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:34 pm

The RA calipers/rotor are a direct fit for the ES
I have no doubt is the same for the VRX
There is some good info on this forum on this topic already that was done a few years ago

Morgoth00
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Morgoth00 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Hey guys,

Currently trying to find brakes for my Lancer ES 2008, would love any suggestions as this is my first car and not the most mechanically minded teenager

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:28 am

If your on a tight budget and you drive the vehicle sensibly and don't think your Craig Lowndes then I suggest just plain Bendix pads and if your rotors are kaput then plain Jane rotors as well. This will keep the price down and keep you safe. If you have zero clue how to install them I strongly urge to to have a chat to a decent local mechanic. The lancer rotors/pads are pretty easy to swap out and that's a good thing cos it keeps the price down from the mechanic.
It's always wise to get a mechanic to do this for our is our have zero clue for the simple fact that your playing with your life and someone else's if you get this all wrong and yes it can happen and the results are not nice at all for anyone involved.
Feel free to do a search thru this forum this topic has been done a number of times and there is some very handy info to be discovered

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Okay I went to a brake shop today for a price check and the total for parts not install was over $800. I know for a fact online I can get the slotted rotors I want and suitable pads for about half that. And they wonder why people are opting to buy things online!

Wouldn't say I'm on a tight budget, if I was I'd opt for new pads and machined rotors, case closed. But I want slotted rotors and have saved to get them.

I can do the work myself if I can't find an affordable option, still pricing workshops I trust.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Oh I did have a question, when pricing the parts today he said there were 2 offset options for the MY09 VRX, it was a difference of 0.5mm (wow), what is the spec I should need for my VRX? He said I'd have to take the rotor off to measure them, surely my VIN will be the key to knowing what is on the car. I never had this question when checking online for the DBA T2 pictured above.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:18 pm

To the best of my knowledge the RA offset was very different to the VRX , the VRX and RA rotor size is the same but the offset for the rotor and calipers are vastly different

The RA rotor is 295mm , same as the VRX
The RA calipers from memory was about 40mm offset
RA calipers are twin pot , VRX is single pot , same as the stock 270mm ES ones

Don't quote me on this
Double check it

The VIN should well and truly give it away , as well as the build date on the compliance plate.
Last edited by bumblebee on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:22 pm

I brought these RA rotor and semi metallic pads delivered for under $230

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3097410135

I had the same before but in stock ES size ((270mm) and they were ok
The RA ones though are head and shoulders above the stock ones though for sure

Ta da!
http://imgur.com/a/GVdAohK

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:00 pm

He did mention June and the month it changed in 2009, checked my compliance plate and my VRX was built 03/2009.

I double checked the prices at brakesdirect.com.au and I'd made a mistake, I assumed they were sold in pairs. So the rotors and pad come out to about $700 (inc GST) but I'm waiting for their 20% sale which should knock it down to about $560.

Assuming I get the right ones LOL I'm still considering doing the work myself, before the next service so if needed they can do the brake fluid and other checks.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:25 pm

If you have never done brakes before I strongly urge you not to do it

You get this wrong and you and your vehicle are heading for disaster
And highly likely some other innocent people

A real recipe for disaster

As I stated I got two new RA rotors and semi metallic pads delivered for under $230
Just need the RA calipers to suit those can be had for $300 Inc freight if you shop around

As for the brake fluid , it should be flushed thru the system about every two years

And if your genuinely serious about brakes , you will invest in some ADR compliance braided brake hoses and get those fitted as well

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:24 pm

I've done some brake work before, swapped the front brakes off a M21 for my old Lancer coupe, this involved replacing the calipers, to put on the bigger front rotors and bleeding them, then topping up the fluid. So a lot more than a 'simple' rotor and bad swap.

The dealer has done all my services by the book, part of the extended used car warranty, long story. So the brakes would have been flushed one or two times while I've had it.

Braided lines will be nice when I've got the cash, but since I'm not planning to take the CJ to a track it can wait.

The DBA T2 are about $240 for the front, $270 rear. Again not doing any track days so don't want to upgrade to RA calipers.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:57 am

Not quite sure where you came up with the idea that braided.hoses are only for the track from, cos that's certainly not the case at all. Do some research on rubber brake hoses and braided lines .

The good old stealership thankfully Ford lost a court case some years ago here in Australia about stealership servicing.

Did you look at the rotors I linked.to and compare them to the ones you want by any chance?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 am

I'm just saying right now the stock brake lines are fine for now. Don't know what they cost but I'd consider them later.

As for slot style I like the ones I posted and going by all the reports they work well.

BUT the style I really like is this J Hook design, just like those used in the Supercar series. But I can't find much info on them.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:25 am

Interesting

So braided brake lines are for track use
But stock ones are ok for now

And
V8 Supercar brake rotors are ok for street use

Excellent news :D

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Braided lines will be nice when I've got the cash, but since I'm not planning to take the CJ to a track it can wait.

Why are braided lines only for track use?

Also it depends on the manufacturer if you buy rotor in pairs or not

The link I have given you a few times now is for a pair of rotors and semi metallic pads for a RA delivery to your doorstep. You just need RA calipers and your in business

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm

If braided lines are no good for the street , maybe these cross drilled lines would work better ??

I dunno ?
What's your thoughts Craig?

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... 8jQCszYpZ0

Return to “Brakes”